Doogie: Gophers 'absolutely' can compete in football, 'U' prez says (Long Q&A)

I've long thought that if the non-revenue sports are to offer opportunities to athletes they should be predominately for Minnesota student-athletes. Maybe a certain percentage of those scholarships should be for Minnesota athletes only. I really don't think rowing is a competitive Minnesota sport.

Being a world renowned university should be the goal. Focussing on MN is too narrow minded. Under this thought process, MN would play hockey in a league of all MN and East Coast teams.

Being a world renowned university should be the goal. Focussing on MN is too narrow minded. Under this thought process, MN would play hockey in a league of all MN and East Coast teams.
What in the world (literally) does offering rowing scholarships to out-of-state women have to do with being a "world renowned" university?

I was told you went to Pasadena for the Rose Bowl.

"I did go to Pasadena for the Rose Bowl. I think it'll be a lot more fun when I go again and bring my football team."

Gotta love his moxy. Of course, when Brewster had said this, most people on this board would want him run out of town. I guess it helps that he's the boss.

You've received some backlash for him maintaining a high salary. But because of those duties, are you thinking the backlash isn't necessary? You have to be thinking that you know what you're doing. It's not he'll sit around and do nothing. Is that what you would say to the general public?

"I do know what I'm doing in this regard. Let me talk about the salary. Joel, as athletic director, will receive total compensation this year in the low $500,000s - salary, retirement, bonuses for performance, car allowance, all of those things add up. I'll probably get backlash for that, but that's below-average for an athletic director in the Big Ten. We are in a marketplace and that's the pay for that job. I'm retaining him at his base salary, so his salary next year will be 30 to 35 percent lower than it is this year. That's a good haircut. I expect he'll return many, many times that salary to the university in fundraising and donations that he generates. I'm absolutely certain of it. I wouldn't have made the decision to retain him if I didn't have a job for him. He works 100 percent of the time. He'll work on donor relations, helping the new AD, teaching a couple classes - students will benefit with their interaction with him. It's a full-time job that he'll be doing at 70 percent of his salary for this year."

Strange, but this is almost exactly verbatim what I was thinking of when the "bruhaha" developed over Maturi's future salary. He will bring in far more additional dollars than will be spent on him.

"I absolutely loved our wrestling match versus Wisconsin when we nearly shut them out."

I love this guy already!

I actually hope he does hire Fiore from Stoneybrook, or someone like him -- with proven AD experience as well as the connections and passion to raise lots of money for all of our athletic programs. Also, pleased to hear that he is already setting the record straight with regards to the non-revenue sports...that they don't cost much to operate and cutting them is not the answer towards improving our revenue generating sports. This guy gets it! Go Gophers!

Why we need non-revenue sports

"I absolutely loved our wrestling match versus Wisconsin when we nearly shut them out."

I love this guy already!

I actually hope he does hire Fiore from Stoneybrook, or someone like him -- with proven AD experience as well as the connections and passion to raise lots of money for all of our athletic programs. Also, pleased to hear that he is already setting the record straight with regards to the non-revenue sports...that they don't cost much to operate and cutting them is not the answer towards improving our revenue generating sports. This guy gets it! Go Gophers!

Without non-revenue sports we would have no one to blame if we do poorly in our revenue sports. They are not the problem (See above bod statement). They are a red herring.

Strange, but this is almost exactly verbatim what I was thinking of when the "bruhaha" developed over Maturi's future salary. He will bring in far more additional dollars than will be spent on him.

Yea, people were reacting off their emotions and left logic at the door on that one.

The best comment by President Kaler, to me, was this statement:

"My role was helping the academic side of the house begin to understand the importance of the athletic program. "

If he would have said this sentence when he first got hired I would have been thrilled! Nice to hear somebody know something about Division 1 athletics. This guy gets it. He for sure will have a winning athletic program during his tenure at Minnesota!!!!!!!!!!!!

The best comment by President Kaler, to me, was this statement:

"My role was helping the academic side of the house begin to understand the importance of the athletic program. "

That is so, so awesome. Hopefully it helped. Unfortunately that d-bag from the MN daily, shapiro, will never be convinced.

Top Bottom