Doogie: "Don't sleep on the possibility of Annexstad still entering the quarterback mix. It's not a stone cold lock that this is Tanner Morgan's job."

OK. First of all, here is the link to the actual episode: https://www.podcastone.com/episode/...man-Randy-Dobnak-and-Charles-Adams-III-ep-332

The actual question Doogie asks starts around 50:12 or so.

For good context though, the question before that went roughly like this:

Doogie - "do you think we will see that 2019 version of the offense again [in 2021], I know Kirk Ciarrocca is gone, but what do you think?"

Bateman - super generic answer. Basically "I'm not too worried about 2019, I know the guys are going to practice hard, eat the right things, do what needs to be done to succeed".

So then to the actual question.

Doogie - "On Tanner Morgan -- Tanner will be back. I mean, he's taken so many snaps. Do you feel like ..... we can see that 2019 Tanner Morgan again?"

Bateman - again, to me, gives a super generic answer. Basically "You can see an elite QB in Tanner Morgan, and you can see an elite QB in Zack Annexstad. No matter what, they're both going to be prepared to play ... they both can play at a high level. So, .... whoever it is, I have all trust in them that the offense will be successful"

Guys, I think we're wayyyyyy over reading into this.

Wonder if he's afraid of any possibility of a qb controversy.
I think that's the reason. Back up comes in during garbage time and looks stellar. Fans conflate that to automatically being stellar under all conditions. The starting QB has a couple minor missteps (or we lose a game). QB controversy is suddenly a thing, draining energy from the team. Wish this weren't it. Be great to do some late game rotation, just for Zach to shake the rust off and be ready if called to start.

#1 Many people wonder if Zack is even the number two QB.
#2 Now out of no where Bateman puts Zack on on equal level with Tanner without provocation. Many would interpret that to mean Bateman thinks Zack is actually better than Tanner.

If you actually listen to PJ’s press conferences , interviews, he wants zero part of any controversy. He spent one hour explaining how COVID was not his fault and oh ya, not his players fault either. (Nobody said it was)
So the idea it is not a factor in his QB decisions because he is not walking around worried what others think is laughable. He is.

OK. First of all, here is the link to the actual episode: https://www.podcastone.com/episode/...man-Randy-Dobnak-and-Charles-Adams-III-ep-332

The actual question Doogie asks starts around 50:12 or so.

For good context though, the question before that went roughly like this:

Doogie - "do you think we will see that 2019 version of the offense again [in 2021], I know Kirk Ciarrocca is gone, but what do you think?"

Bateman - super generic answer. Basically "I'm not too worried about 2019, I know the guys are going to practice hard, eat the right things, do what needs to be done to succeed".

So then to the actual question.

Doogie - "On Tanner Morgan -- Tanner will be back. I mean, he's taken so many snaps. Do you feel like ..... we can see that 2019 Tanner Morgan again?"

Bateman - again, to me, gives a super generic answer. Basically "You can see an elite QB in Tanner Morgan, and you can see an elite QB in Zack Annexstad. No matter what, they're both going to be prepared to play ... they both can play at a high level. So, .... whoever it is, I have all trust in them that the offense will be successful"

Guys, I think we're wayyyyyy over reading into this.
Doogie out in left again.

If you actually listen to PJ’s press conferences , interviews, he wants zero part of any controversy. He spent one hour explaining how COVID was not his fault and oh ya, not his players fault either. (Nobody said it was)
So the idea it is not a factor in his QB decisions because he is not walking around worried what others think is laughable. He is.

How many press conferences do you listen to and imagine all sorts of stuff?

How do you get an empty statement about "he wants zero part of any controversy. " Like who does?

To:
So the idea it is not a factor in his QB decisions because he is not walking around worried what others think is laughable. He is

What does that even mean? I'm sure he cares about perception generally... yeah ... what coach doesn't?

That's miles away from deciding if he wants to play a guy or not...

I hope a starting job is never a guarantee...these guys need to feel the guys behind them creeping up and as a result keep getting better. Comfort can lead to laziness
This isn’t a direct response to you or this comment in particular but just a comment I wanted to add.

I find it funny how when we have a QB competition, we say “good, competition makes everyone better and keeps you on your toes”. But when we have a solidified starter, we always say “Good thing he has the job locked up, best he not look behind his shoulder after every mistake he makes and can play through that.” We saw that a ton with Nelson and Leidner and then when Nelson transferred which solidified Leidner as the starter.

Fans will talk themselves into whatever makes themselves fee better.

Again, not a direct response to you.

You ok?

This isn’t a direct response to you or this comment in particular but just a comment I wanted to add.

I find it funny how when we have a QB competition, we say “good, competition makes everyone better and keeps you on your toes”. But when we have a solidified starter, we always say “Good thing he has the job locked up, best he not look behind his shoulder after every mistake he makes and can play through that.” We saw that a ton with Nelson and Leidner and then when Nelson transferred which solidified Leidner as the starter.

It was a great opportunity to give other QBs not just experience but let you see if you have any gamers.
When you've got a QB that isn't exactly lighting it up... You keep him in to try to work out the kinks, so to speak. If you've got a QB that is doing well and is secure with his position, then maybe you bring in the others for experience. Tanner needed the work last season.

#2 Now out of no where Bateman puts Zack on on equal level with Tanner without provocation. Many would interpret that to mean Bateman thinks Zack is actually better than Tanner.
My interpretation is that:

1) last year clearly ZA must have been the back-up. We wouldn't know because the back-up was never given a chance over Tanner. Why else would Bateman say that, unless it was the case from his last viewpoint of the team (in 2020, before signing off) that ZA was listed as #2 ? I'm going with that.

2) he was just trying to be dismissive of the question, in that he doesn't think it's going to be a problem.

I think we're in a good spot. We have someone who is a proven winner in Morgan but we also have some decent backups who will hopefully force him to produce to keep his job.

I would use "some" instead of "many".

I'm late to this party, but from what I saw in 2020, I sure hope there's competition at QB. Another year of the 2020 Morgan and RTB is in trouble... Bigly.

I'm late to this party, but from what I saw in 2020, I sure hope there's competition at QB. Another year of the 2020 Morgan and RTB is in trouble... Bigly.

Chuck Year 2020 as an anomaly. The O-line wasn't quite what it was with people opting out or have injuries. I think we will be okay at QB.

The shining star on Offense was Mo. The WR Corp without Bateman and Johnson was a different animal. Boye Mafe impressed me at times on Defense. It is a question of how quickly the team can adjust with the new combos of personnel in both Offense and Defense. The extra year of eligibility helps. We have quality transfers.

My big concern is the Defensive Secondary. Who will emerge? Do we have someone to make up for the lost of Antoine Winfield Jr and Chris Williamson? It's show me the money time for these guys.

Which QB do you believe has the best skill set?

Don't think we have seen enough of the guys to truly say who has the best skill sets. Morgan and Annexstad when in direct competition with each other seemed to have very similar skill sets.

Wouldn't shock me to find that other QBs on the roster have more raw talent than Morgan (stronger arm, better runner....) but physical talent is only part of the equation.

With almost any backup QB, there is at least some hope that - if the backup got a chance to play - he could or would do better than the starter.

With Annexstad, his experience is limited, and under different circumstances - true FR playing behind a shaky OL and for at least a couple weeks, playing on a bad ankle. I would say that is not a true or fair test of his abilities.

Look, Morgan has shown the ability to play well. there is a good chance that Morgan is clearly better than Annexstad.

but, without getting to see Annexstad play under game conditions with the first team, it's almost impossible to make a fair comparison.

I can see Fleck and company opening up the competition this spring and summer and pushing Morgan and others. No one should be handed the job. Morgan took the job in 2019, but 2020 was a bit of a side step. I see Morgan winning the job, but he will earn it.

Despite Morgan physical limitations, he as found a way to stay healthy. Certain players tend to get hurt, Annexstad, gets hurt every time he gets his opportunity. The 2021 QB is more athletic then both of these guys, but he as been injured practically every year in HS, what is going to happen against P5 guys?

Bateman was being polite in his interview. I really don't think you can read much into his comments regarding various players. 2020 was a very weird year so don't believe you can judge the performance by some of these guys completely.

Fleck has always said that you need to earn your position. Kill has said the same. Philip got the message so he left as apparently he didn't feel he had to earn it. I look for good competition this fall for starting positions. No doubt Fleck wants to win.

I can see Fleck and company opening up the competition this spring and summer and pushing Morgan and others. No one should be handed the job. Morgan took the job in 2019, but 2020 was a bit of a side step. I see Morgan winning the job, but he will earn it.

I really don't think this year will be any different than others in this regard. Coaches want to win, and will play the person they feel gives them the best shot to get the win. Morgan enters the off season as the #1 QB with a proven track record of what he can do in games.

For someone to beat him out prior to the start of the 2021 season it would take them just blowing the coaches away to a level that makes them think there is no way they can keep the kid on the bench and have to get him in there as the starter ASAP. Or Morgan would have to get hurt. The second option seems way more likely than the first since I can't see Morgan falling apart to a level where someone is clearly vastly superior to him in practice.

Now if Morgan comes out and struggles in 2021, it would not shock me to see them go to a replacement as Fleck is sending lots of signals that they are all in for the 2021 season.

But at this point, for someone to beat out a healthy Morgan, their play is going to have to be off the charts. And if that happens, that is noting but awesome for the program, because even with his 2020 slip in performance, Morgan is still easily one of the best QBs to ever play here.

I'm sure I sound like a broken record, but I think the lack of off-season plus key players missing from the OL was the biggest factor in Morgan's 2020 play. New OC, with not much time to get used to the new-ish play calling style and new wrinkles meant Morgan needed more time to think to determine his passes. It wasn't as automatic as it used to be. Pair that with what seemed like less time on average to get rid of the ball and he struggled at times.

It was what, like the 2nd or 3rd possession of the Michigan game where Morgan was blindside sacked and fumbled the ball, which resulted in a TD? That HAS to weigh on a QBs mind, which can have season long affects.

I think, if we can have a normal off season, Morgan will play much closer to 2019 rather than 2020. That said, I DID have a dream last night that I was at a game and Annexstad came in mid-game, so . . . 🤷‍♂️

I'm sure I sound like a broken record, but I think the lack of off-season plus key players missing from the OL was the biggest factor in Morgan's 2020 play. New OC, with not much time to get used to the new-ish play calling style and new wrinkles meant Morgan needed more time to think to determine his passes. It wasn't as automatic as it used to be. Pair that with what seemed like less time on average to get rid of the ball and he struggled at times.

It was what, like the 2nd or 3rd possession of the Michigan game where Morgan was blindside sacked and fumbled the ball, which resulted in a TD? That HAS to weigh on a QBs mind, which can have season long affects.

I think, if we can have a normal off season, Morgan will play much closer to 2019 rather than 2020. That said, I DID have a dream last night that I was at a game and Annexstad came in mid-game, so . . . 🤷‍♂️

Totally agree. 2020 was just such a messed up season on so many levels. Some teams handled it better than others but even looking at the Big Ten as a whole only Ohio State, Indiana, Northwestern and probably Iowa feel pretty good about how the season played out.

The glass was half full. The Gophers lose a couple close game with a decimated kicking game, and absent O-Line starters. They went into Memorial Stadium late in the season minus 33 players and beat Nebraska.

I can imagine that they are going to be way better with a full compliment of their starters which includes guys that have transferred in, and guys that have time to develop and learn in Covid decimated environment last season.

The glass was half full. The Gophers lose a couple close game with a decimated kicking game, and absent O-Line starters. They went into Memorial Stadium late in the season minus 33 players and beat Nebraska.

I can imagine that they are going to be way better with a full compliment of their starters which includes guys that have transferred in, and guys that have time to develop and learn in Covid decimated environment last season.
last year exposed a glaring weakness. our depth. I think that's why PJ went so hard in the transfer market. I would have liked one more OL, but if the DL and LB play improves, our Secondary will be fine and we should be competitive in every game.

Top Bottom