Doogie: "Don't sleep on the possibility of Annexstad still entering the quarterback mix. It's not a stone cold lock that this is Tanner Morgan's job."

BleedGopher

Reaction score
In a recent Scoops Podcast, Doogie interviewed Rashod Bateman and Doogie asked Bateman about Tanner Morgan next year and if the Gophers can rediscover the 2019 offense. In his answer, Bateman on his own brought up Annexstad and said no matter who is behind center, the Gophers will be good. Doogie then said after the interview: "Don't sleep on the possibility of Annexstad still entering the quarterback mix. It's not a stone cold lock that this is Tanner Morgan's job."

Go Gophers!!

Last edited:

All depends on what version of Morgan we get in 2021. 2019 Morgan would be pretty tough to beat out. 2020 Morgan leaves open the possibility that someone could out play him and take the job.

Morgan still feels like the safe bet to be the guy in 2021, but I also have no doubt the coaches are going to play the guy they think gives the team the best shot to win. I think it is clear they want to go big in 2021 and putting the best option out there at QB will be a big part of that.

There is 0.001% chance Tanner Morgan is not the starter against Ohio State in September.

There is 0.001% chance Tanner Morgan is not the starter against Ohio State in September.
I'm more interested in the odds that 2020 Tanner shows up to play... and the odds on if he survives the day as the starter.

Who knows, maybe 2019 Morgan comes ready to play and we all cheer as the Gophers upset OSU... cementing his place in Gopher history.

Its higher only because of injuries. But being injured is the only way he doesn’t start.

Agree that injury is most likely the only way he is not the starter against Ohio State as it seems unlikely that someone could do enough in spring and fall to unseat him. But if he struggles in 2021, I would not be shocked to see them make a change.

My gut says that Morgan will be the starter all year as long as he stays healthy.

Considering none of the back ups could get into a game even in garbage time I have a hard time believing that Morgan will ever sit, unless he is injured or throws picks at a 2 - 1 rate to TD's

Hey, let's try to generate a phony quarterback controversy! Call-in fans love that stuff!

Seriously, the only way Annexstad beats out Morgan would be if Annexstad proves he is truly something special at QB. In that case, hurray!

Hey, let's try to generate a phony quarterback controversy! Call-in fans love that stuff!

Seriously, the only way Annexstad beats out Morgan would be if Annexstad proves he is truly something special at QB. In that case, hurray!
You have to remember that Annexstad already has beaten out Morgan once and Morgan got his chance with the injury to Annexstad. If Morgan performs like he did in 2019 this is his team as far as he can take it. However, if he struggles like he did in 2020, Annexstad or someone else may get their chance and shine like when Morgan got his in 2019.

You have to remember that Annexstad already has beaten out Morgan once and Morgan got his chance with the injury to Annexstad. If Morgan performs like he did in 2019 this is his team as far as he can take it. However, if he struggles like he did in 2020, Annexstad or someone else may get their chance and shine like when Morgan got his in 2019.

Yes, you're right; Annexstad did already beat out Morgan once.

But Tanner Morgan — 2019 version — is at a level we have yet to see from Annexstad, or from any other QB in Gopher history, for that matter. We know Morgan is capable of that high level of excellence, because we have watched it play out, game after game, in 2019.

Is Annexstad's best better than Morgan's? It's possible, but if it happened I would be pleasantly amazed.
Are we even certain that Annexstad is a better option if Morgan plays 2021 at the same (lower) level as he played in 2020? I don't know. I'm not convinced that Annexstad is clearly a better option than Morgan, even taking last season into account. I'd have to see it with my own eyes. Morgan took at step back, clearly, but he certainly was far from awful.

Agree with others.

Barring injury, Morgan is the starter. But it is not guaranteed he will stay the starter.

Keep in mind, Morgan's "struggle" year still had a completion % that was 6% higher than Annexstad's 1 season.

Keep in mind, Morgan's "struggle" year still had a completion % that was 6% higher than Annexstad's 1 season.
His one (half) season, he was an 18 year old green boy (sorry, just sayin), who was running for his life most of the time we weren't playing teams like New Mexico St. He hurt his ankle getting sacked on the second play of the Miami OH game, I believe it was, and never recovered. Maryland game was abysmal. Iowa game not great either. Nebraska game, that was that.

Would be interesting, if he earns/gets one last chance here, to see how much he has improved.

Well Doogie, you can come and scoop after my doggie. They are stone cold.

His one (half) season, he was an 18 year old green boy (sorry, just sayin), who was running for his life most of the time we weren't playing teams like New Mexico St. He hurt his ankle getting sacked on the second play of the Miami OH game, I believe it was, and never recovered. Maryland game was abysmal. Iowa game not great either. Nebraska game, that was that.

Would be interesting, if he earns/gets one last chance here, to see how much he has improved.
Sure, lots of what ifs. I was never impressed by Annexstad but I am sure he's better now due to being older/experienced. If Annexstad wins the job it means we have 2 amazing quarterbacks.

This is just Doogie throwing some crap against the wall so that if it turns out to be right down the line he can pat himself on the back for seeing it coming.

I hope a starting job is never a guarantee...these guys need to feel the guys behind them creeping up and as a result keep getting better. Comfort can lead to laziness

The question on offense is: can the passing game regain the mojo it had from 2019? I'm not absolutely certain that the drop-off last season was entirely a case of Morgan regressing. We had a new coordinator (or coordinators).

For whatever reason, in 2020 Morgan looked hesitant to pull the trigger in the RPO, whereas in 2019 he seemed to make quick reads, good decisions and accurate throws.

Did the new coordinator(s) "fix" something that was never broken to begin with?

The question on offense is: can the passing game regain the mojo it had from 2019? I'm not absolutely certain that the drop-off last season was entirely a case of Morgan regressing. We had a new coordinator (or coordinators).

For whatever reason, in 2020 Morgan looked hesitant to pull the trigger in the RPO, whereas in 2019 he seemed to make quick reads, good decisions and accurate throws.

Did the new coordinator(s) "fix" something that was never broken to begin with?

His wide receivers didn’t help him out at times. I recall a least a couple games of an uncharacteristic number of drops, and even Bateman wasn’t his stud self last season IMO.

His wide receivers didn’t help him out at times.

This goes right back to the ol' "2019 Morgan was propped up by the incredible WR play that he was the beneficiary of... and 2020 Tanner regressed because he didn't receive that level of WR play in 2020."

He's going to have the opportunity to prove, one way or the other, right away...

I agree. He literally needed crutches before they put Morgan in. The talent playing that season for Annexstad/Morgan was not nearly as developed as the following year. TCF averaged around 25,000 a game that year, everyone had the best seat in the house. ZA his Freshman year was better than RS Morgan.

Don’t sleep on the possibility that doogie doesn’t know what he is talking about

Top Bottom