Doogie article - New 7/27

I would have to say that a good style would be what MV over at FBT goes with. He flat out gives good analysis of the Gopher football program. Is he a homer? Yes, but not over the top at all. I look forward to his website every day. And for a guy who does it on the side, he is 10x what any full time writer getting paid to do it has accomplished in this market.

My main issue with the media in this town is how woefully uninformed they are. If someone is going to talk about or write about the Gophers, it is nice to have that discussion based in some semblance of fact. In almost all cases it is not.

That has been my beef with guys like Reusse and Barreiro for years. My problem with them isn't necessarily that they are ultra-negative about the Gophers, it is that much of their criticism is based on nothing but the idea that they need to be negative.

I completely understand that the Gophers have given these guys a lot material with which to be negative, but so much of the criticisms are silly simplifications not based in anything but it is "fun to take potshots" at the Gophers.

I'll bet you right now if you asked either of those two guys to name 10 current football players on the Gopher team that they'd be lucky to get to 8 (particularly Barreiro). And, yet, these are the guys who are supposed to be the public's "voice" for the team? No thanks.

Doogie was really reaching with the beginning part and swung and missed.
But I'd say he probably got what he was looking for, and that was a reaction. To journalists in this town that is what you strive for.

In addition, quite the stretch comparing Gopher football to Gopher hockey and basketball.

Just read my last Doogie article, strike three. MV over at FBT is the bomb.

But I'd say he probably got what he was looking for, and that was a reaction. To journalists in this town that is what you strive for.

The hell of it is, we keep reacting. So, naturally, they keep doing it.

The other thing is that they might consider themselves journalists, but they really aren't. They've become a combination of personalities and, using the word very liberally, entertainers. Look at all of the "in" stuff, especially on the radio; look at how uninformed and superficial they are; look at how many newspaper guys strive to get as much air time as they can; finally, look at how inbred they are so often collaborating when real journalists would be rivals.

Because they aren't rivals, we get the same crap over and over. I keep thinking they're more interested in impressing each other with their "wit" than with some solid sports reporting. Doogie wants to be a journalist but he's also concerned about what his more established "pals" will think. Hence, not only a reaction to the potshots but also hoping maybe Patrick or Chad will notice.

Doogie was really reaching with the beginning part and swung and missed.

In addition, quite the stretch comparing Gopher football to Gopher hockey and basketball.

Just read my last Doogie article, strike three. MV over at FBT is the bomb.

I'd be really curious how many hits MV is getting per day. As the following is still growing and if it gets as big as I think it's going to be, (and probably being totally unrealistic), maybe someone in the main stream media would get the message.

And another troublesome sports media trend...

... is the kind of laziness that is exhibited in quotes or references to "other media sources." We have way too many reporters, columnists and radio "personalities" that think that browsing the web (including the GH, blogs and recruiting sites) and using that as their source. Don't tell me what some other news (and I use the term very loosely) source is saying; do the leg work and find out some facts and tell me what you yourself have found out. No wonder readership and listenership is down. Very few sports voices offer anything fresh worth reading/listening to. This market has a sports media blight. Sid is unlistenable because he's a dottering old man that is way past his prime. Everyone else is unlistenable because they aren't any better than Sid (and that's saying something).

gopherkinta: I'll accept boring... can't control your take on that... but lazy I am not. I will challenge my work ethic versus yours anytime you would like.

I could care less what a scribe thinks about the Gophers. Doogies's opinions are no more intuitive than mine or other informed Gopher fans. The difference is he he has earned the right to voice his opinion through media sources. But he also has the opportunity that the informed fan does not. And that is access to players and coaches and other resources. Unavailable to the average person.

What I want to read is what the players and coaches, etc. have to say. Not a writer.

If I were a scribe, I would write stories about the players, their routine, all the work they put in, balancing academics and the rigors of being an athlete, etc. Some one tell me that the public would not take interest in that type of reporting versus the crap, most of which is negative, that we get.

Doogie says: "Of those 50,000, how many read the stories in the paper next day? Give them something good to read and people will respond; win or lose. It interesting that no one in the TC media has figured that one out. Yet everyone seems intent on who can do the most bashing. Sad.

I always enjoy Gopher Lady's reports which focus on the player and not on herself.

gopherkinta: I'll accept boring... can't control your take on that... but lazy I am not. I will challenge my work ethic versus yours anytime you would like.

Doogie~
I'm sure it must be tiring getting attacked directly on this board basically daily. But could you please set aside the more blatant attacks and let those of us who are trying to respond more constructively know your thoughts on our responses? I'm actually interested in why you choose to open your article in the way you did.

My goal is to make the listener/reader think... thus the list of polarizing sports figures in town over the past few years... I succeed at times, and fail too... but willing to try different things. I will always attempt to be a balancing voice. I'm sorry... after last year, you won't read 100-percent rah-rah-rah takes. I have praised the hiring of Horton, defended Weber endlessly (on this board when it comes to him, I'm the ultimate homer), and talked about how much I like the interior of the D-line. But to think they are on their way to the Rose Bowl this year (a clear-cut Brewster goal that he delivered to Maturi, etc. by year No. 4), would be ridiculous. Six wins will be a great accomplishment. But Brew promised the people who hired him more than six wins in year No. 4. So, even he'll be disappointed if that happens.

Doogie: "But to think they are on their way to the Rose Bowl this year (a clear-cut Brewster goal that he delivered to Maturi, etc. by year No. 4), would be ridiculous. Six wins will be a great accomplishment. But Brew promised the people who hired him more than six wins in year No. 4."

Really?? I must have missed that part. But Brewster was certainly spewing out a lot of hype back then so that could be possible. I remember Rose Bowl goals but no timeframe. Do you remember when/where you heard that Doogie?

My goal is to make the listener/reader think... thus the list of polarizing sports figures in town over the past few years... I succeed at times, and fail too... but willing to try different things. I will always attempt to be a balancing voice. I'm sorry... after last year, you won't read 100-percent rah-rah-rah takes. I have praised the hiring of Horton, defended Weber endlessly (on this board when it comes to him, I'm the ultimate homer), and talked about how much I like the interior of the D-line. But to think they are on their way to the Rose Bowl this year (a clear-cut Brewster goal that he delivered to Maturi, etc. by year No. 4), would be ridiculous. Six wins will be a great accomplishment. But Brew promised the people who hired him more than six wins in year No. 4. So, even he'll be disappointed if that happens.

That's all fair enough and I appreciate your response. I (and I think many others) aren't looking for Rah-Rah. We'd just like to see one opinion style writer who covers the Gophers do so without the silly digs at the coaches, program, or fans. If you can do that, I think you'll find many people will appreciate your take and viewpoint even when it is critical of the Gophers.

Doogie: "But to think they are on their way to the Rose Bowl this year (a clear-cut Brewster goal that he delivered to Maturi, etc. by year No. 4), would be ridiculous. Six wins will be a great accomplishment. But Brew promised the people who hired him more than six wins in year No. 4."

Really?? I must have missed that part. But Brewster was certainly spewing out a lot of hype back then so that could be possible. I remember Rose Bowl goals but no timeframe. Do you remember when/where you heard that Doogie?

Bayfield: If you can, get Maturi/Ryan/a handful of others (some now elsewhere) to talk honestly about the plan Brew laid out in the interview that blew them away. To Brewster's credit, with many thanks to his then-agent, Gary O'Hagan, Brew got an A+ for his interview skills... and won them over. They were ready to hire Strong, who had the much better credentials.

Bayfield: If you can, get Maturi/Ryan/a handful of others (some now elsewhere) to talk honestly about the plan Brew laid out in the interview that blew them away. To Brewster's credit, with many thanks to his then-agent, Gary O'Hagan, Brew got an A+ for his interview skills... and won them over. They were ready to hire Strong, who had the much better credentials.

Hey Doogie,
Actually a great interview, Weber seems to be gearing up for his final season with a sense of urgency, good to hear. The interviews have been great so far.
I won't rip the intro or the digs at Brewster this time, I think you tried to paint Weber's place in the TC sports world as split in opinion and you swung and missed on the paint job. I hope.
I don't think anyone doubt's Brew's interview was stellar and a grand slam home run, we'll see if his coaching improves to that level as well. The underwhelming and quiet confidence of the coaching staff and players leaves me cautiously optimistic that they simply will be under the radar of alot of folks and will suprise with solid performances all year.
On the 4 year Rose bowl talk, I have no doubt it was discussed, also have no problem with it being discussed.
I will say this, if Brew is fired by Maturi, then Maturi MUST also leave or be fired, this whole extension talk has me absolutely distraught.
What's the next interview in the series?

I'm going to call bull *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#.
To say that Maturi hired Brew, who never had been a head coach, because Brew promised or even mentioned a rose bowl within 4 years (after not playing in a rose bowl in the past 40 years) is laughable.
Do you really believe what you are writing?

The reason Brew was hired was because of his energy (very good interviewer) and because of his recruiting prowess. He also landed the job because he came cheap which meant more money for his assistant coaches and coordinators. He also wasnt scared to talk positively about having the goal of taking the team to the rose bowl, AND NEVER SAID 4 YEARS. Add that all up and you get the total opposite of Glen Mason, which fans were clamorring for.
That is why he was hired.

"Bayfield: If you can, get Maturi/Ryan/a handful of others (some now elsewhere) to talk honestly about the plan Brew laid out in the interview that blew them away. To Brewster's credit, with many thanks to his then-agent, Gary O'Hagan, Brew got an A+ for his interview skills... and won them over. They were ready to hire Strong, who had the much better credentials

I I thought the original article was fine; as for the intro as snide goes, not much of a problem, it just wasn't very funny. The set-up was forced and certainly called for a bigger punch line. Just a thought.

The above post though? That's just petulant, understandable given the over reaction to the article, but petulant. If you could get them "to talk honestly"? So if the actual participants say the talk didn't happen or that you're misrepresenting it they're liars, but you, who heard the story second or third hand at best know exactly what was said? They fact that it confirms one of your personal biases makes it just that much better?

This sounds very suspiciously like the furor that was set over Brewster and the Kansas job. Sources say that "Brewster is lying about not looking into it!". The sources HAD to be accurate! Now when those same sources said that Brewster was one of the finalists for the job first it was ignored and then the response was that part couldn't be confirmed.

We get it. You loved Fisch, you think Weber has the talent to bounce back, you'd rather see the Gophers win then lose but you hate Brewster and don't think he's ever going to make that happen.

You could be right or wrong about any of those things but please, no more talk about discussions of private meetings unless they disprove your opinion rather then confirm it.

Iceland12: You know me a little bit... who would go on the record with that? I chatted with a former player over the summer... he had some harsh words... do you think he has any interest in going on-the-record? It's the nature of the beast... but if you believe that there isn't a lot of stuff said on background/off-the-record, you're sorely mistaken.

Ole: Thanks... all I have left is a WR piece, so working on coach Watson... but haven't connected on that front yet... also, still working on a Tim Davis Q & A... great thing = still have 5 weeks until the opener, so plenty of time... but my A/B/C jobs have me more focused on the Vikings/Twins/St. Paul Saints at this point.
Be sure to read Phil Miller's work... have talked with him a handful of times this summer... he's super-talented, and pumped up to be on the beat. His coverage will be entirely different from the last few years.

Iceland12: You know me a little bit... who would go on the record with that? I chatted with a former player over the summer... he had some harsh words... do you think he has any interest in going on-the-record? It's the nature of the beast... but if you believe that there isn't a lot of stuff said on background/off-the-record, you're sorely mistaken.

If you read the post again I'm not even implying that it wasn't said. My complaint was the set-up that if the actual participants say it wasn't said then THEY'RE the liars not the ax-grinders. Or if your scource was a participant that he couldn't being lying about what was said.

You could have just said that people have put it forth or that scources say it happened. Nope, you stated that it happened and more then implied that anyone who disagrees is a liar. That's what "not talking honestly" means.

Your scource(s), depending on what ax they needed to grind could EASILY be the liar here. You shouldn't have decided that they couldn't be.

Out of how many student/athletes? What group of more than 10 people doesn't have some sort of dissent? Could this former player be someone that was recruited by Mason, and didn't like the change, or did not fit into Brew's vision of what he needs going forward?

I'm not saying, in any way, that this is not relevant. I just think people need to read these things in context, as well.

Honestly Doogie, keep up the good work. I personally have some issues with the overall coverage of the U, and the football program in particular. You do a much better job than nearly every other writer out there (low bar, so it's not too much of a chore...see how easy it is to take unnecessary cheap shots?) and if you read between the lines, you should see that these people care about the program, your efforts, and are trying to help you deliver a message that may be better received.

Iceland12: Hate is a super strong word... I don't hate anyone in town... I am on record saying 6 wins, and more importantly, measurable progress (less penalties, better running game, Weber improvement, less confusion on the sideline, 4th quarter success, post-Nov. 1 success, etc.) and Brewster should be back in 2011. In my dealings with Brewster, he's always been nice. He's never turned down a chance to come on 1500 w/ me, or my weekend KFAN shows in the past... He's been in-studio with me at Ch. 9... agreed to come on Ch. 5 two months ago... and when I was there everyday for Rivals spring '09, he was fine. I could sit-down and have a beer with him, more so than with other coaches/executives in town.

Iceland12: Hate is a super strong word... I don't hate anyone in town... I am on record saying 6 wins, and more importantly, measurable progress (less penalties, better running game, Weber improvement, less confusion on the sideline, 4th quarter success, post-Nov. 1 success, etc.) and Brewster should be back in 2011. In my dealings with Brewster, he's always been nice. He's never turned down a chance to come on 1500 w/ me, or my weekend KFAN shows in the past... He's been in-studio with me at Ch. 9... agreed to come on Ch. 5 two months ago... and when I was there everyday for Rivals spring '09, he was fine. I could sit-down and have a beer with him, more so than with other coaches/executives in town.

Then why do people seem to hate the guy so much? Granted his record the first year was terrible, but his record since has been Glen Masonesque. I know he hasn't beat Iowa or Wisconsin. What if, and I do not believe this will happen, there is a miracle in dinkytown this fall (8 or more wins). Will we read how it's a fluke or will there be credit where credit is due? Not that I think the media has to worry about that.

I had a little trouble typing hate myself, but if one has just read your posts on the man here or the Star tribune column utter and complete disdain would be the mildest term I could come up with.

But yeah, I get your point. I'll refrain from using it and for this instance, just pretend that sources said that you hate him and anyone denying that would be less then honest. ;)

Sometimes I write strong... also have matured personally, even in the last year... I see the big picture more clear on all fronts, not just specifically Gophers football... doesn't mean no matter what I am in favor of keeping Brewster around if it's another '09-like year. Still need to see progress.

What if, and I do not believe this will happen, there is a miracle in dinkytown this fall (8 or more wins).

This is the problem for the Gophers, and one that I don't know will ever go away. To those of us who are actually fans of the team, and know how difficult the schedule is, and how difficult it is to win in the Big Ten, and how the Gophers have been ice-skating uphill for several decades, 8 wins this fall would be a miracle. The Minnesota populace is so poisoned against this team, though, that they won't get credit for anything short of a run to the Rose Bowl. Even if they win 8 or 9 games this year, people will still roll their eyes and say, "Yeah, but they couldn't beat Ohio St. (or Iowa or Wisconsin or USC, etc.)." The Gophers have to be unequivocally awesome to get any credit from the average sports fan in Minnesota. And I don't know if that will ever happen again.

oooh, doogie

It's an old crowd. Many of those folks leave the game, and don't think about Gophers football again until they go to their next game. Many students are also in the same boat. Many showed up last year to a) be seen and b) see TCF ... think about the last few years of the Dome... there were maybe 30,000 people in there for the Michigan game in '08. We are debating semantics a bit... but it's hard to disagree that Gophers is anything higher than the 4th most popular team in town -- Vikings, Twins, Packers... then the Wild or Gophers hoops?

Doogie, your first sentence is a sterotype. Sure there are dyehard fans, but if you look closer you see the 30 year olds and younger. I am amazed at the number of female fans, in that 20-35 year old market segment that every advertiser craves. I see families, young kids. They are all invested with gopher gear, face paint, and a voice. To say they don't think about Gopher Football again until the next game, is an assumption the media in general makes. The idea that no one is interested in Gopher Football, is false. What the media favors is covering a winner. I noticed your list did not include the Wolves.

That being said, Gopher Nation has been ridiculed, and cut short on air. When a host says we are going to be spending time on Gopher Football its an invitation the experienced fan doesn't accept. The callers that do call bash the coach, the team, and the program in general and the host is all to happy to take the calls and cut the segment short. In the paper, they had a beat writer who was on vacation more than he was covering the program. The Gopher Football Program is a 12 month gig. He took it as a 3 month deal. He couldn't blog, tweet, or even submit a column inch about recruiting, a Coach's interview, or any insight into the roster. Hopefully Phil Miller will be more visible.

The thing the media needs to realize is there is a Loyal 35,000. These are avid fans, who take their time, and energy where they can get the information they want. They spend money not only for the information, but also with the advertisers. Be it rivals, scout, the gopherhole, leming, fringeteam blog et al. The day of the startribune, or wcco being the Home of The Gophers is over. The information sources have gone underground. It something they didn't either have the time or interest in doing.

And the dirty little secret is never brought up on radio, in the paper, or tv. The gig with the pro team is better on so many levels. From the buffet, player access, to payments for coverage.
It would seem never it is said a discouraging word and the skies are not cloudy all day when it comes to covering the Twins, Vikes, and Wild.

The fact ESPN 1500 and KSTP has thrown a bone on line, and on TV is an opening offer to Gopher Fans. More is better, I am waiting for the promised interview with either Coach Horton, or Coach Davis. Further proof that I look for coverage, think about the Gophers when they havent play a game in 6 months.

I can promise you regular, informed talk on 1500-ESPN every Thurs. night (although w/ the opener on a Thurs., will move to a diff. day that week)... I'll be joining Mr. Phunn... and may also chime in elsewhere throughout the week... and as for local TV-coverage, I can also promise better coverage on Ch. 5 than the 3 other stations combined... and hopefully you've seen that since Jan. w/ Brew & Weber on Sports Wrap... my Tyler Cropsey piece... lots of coverage during spring practice... being the only station at captain's practices, showing the new indoor field when it was completed, etc. And quite frankly, Ch. 5 covered the Gophers a lot more than everyone else before I got here (also helps that we're 3 min. up the street).

Top Bottom