Doogie: After loss to UW, U fan base should wave white flag on Brewster

Some thoughts:

1) Mase had to go.
2) Brewster need to be given the opportunity to fail with his players. You do not fire a coach (unless he misbehaves) without giving him a chance or you didn't believe your hire was correct in the first place.
3) Brewster has not shown progress and needs to go. Even a .500 record this year and I would have given him another year. Not now.
4) The U of M adminsitration has not been 100% behind a football program. MN (despite sceptics) has spent less on football than our neighbors. We fund more non-revenue sports and deliver les to the football program. The stadium is very good, other facilities still 2nd rate compared to neighbors.
5) The U Alumni do not support financially like other schools.
6) The MN football fans have been remarkedly loyal through 45 years of mediocrity and outright bad years. See Iowa basketball for comparison. Just a few bad seasons and they had to give away tickets to draw 4,000 to conference games.
7) Piling on the program right now is not the right thing to do and really only hurts the kids. Chant "Fire Brewwter" all you want. Fire off emails to Bruiniks and Maturi all you want. Chant fire Maturi all you want. However, piling on the team, student athletes, right now is classless IMO. Until I see a lack of effort, I am behind the team. Minnesota "nice" or not.
8) The program can be "resurrected" and that's the correct term to use. You need a coach that can run the program his way and that has recruiting ties to football rich areas. Hayden Fry integrated SWAC football and had a pipeline to Texas for years. Alvarez recruited for Notre Dame, especially on the east coast and brought in numerous top recruits from NJ area. Dantonio's job is twice as easy as the MN job. He can recruit 90% of his player in-state. Huge difference.

GREAT post. Please post more - it's always nice to have sane people on the boards.

Top Bottom