Dontae Williams apparently wants to visit

MRJ

Reaction score
Recruiting news seems a little bit slow around here for the most part, so I figured I would pass along a little bit of interesting news.

ESPN is reporting that Rivals and Scout 4-star running back Dontae Wiliams has given Oregon a soft verbal. However, the interesting part from our perspective is that Williams also says he wants to visit Minnesota and perhaps a \ few others before making a firm commitment. Having said that, Williams mentioned that he figures he'll be a solid commit to Oregon once he makes his visit, but that he still might need to take some more visits to be sure.

Personally, in looking at this kid's film, I'd be more than happy to have him for a visit. Right now, it admittedly seems like a bit of a long shot. But even having a slim shot is better than having no shot.

Just an update...according to Rivals, he is coming for a visit on 9/11. Since that is a Friday, I will give them the benefit of the doubt and presume they meant 9/12.

I think quite a few athletes have an eye on us right now. Our first two games will be extremely important. It must look as though our changes will be effective. There's a reason so many guys have us as a hedge this year. They just need a little proof.

Visiting with a teammate?

I think he is scheduled to come to town with a high school teammate. I seem to remember the other kid being a RB as well and extremely fast, think his last name was Vincent. I'll do some checking!

Okay, so for that weekend, I have the following guys as visiting:

Huff,
Grant,
Williams,
Bouie,
Price,
Durham,
Kisseberth

Does this is sound about right???

Edit: Sorry, forgot about Kenny Bell. I think he might be coming that weekend as well

Okay, so for that weekend, I have the following guys as visiting:

Huff,
Grant,
Williams,
Bouie,
Price,
Durham,
Kisseberth

Does this is sound about right???

Huff is coming the week after for Cal game

Wesley Vincent. Thats him. According to Rivals he scheduled to come the same weekend although no offer yet, maybe a package deal?

I concede up front that I know little about recruiting, but from what I can tell the players on our radar are not ranked very high at all (with the exception of Henderson), and some aren't ranked at all. They have no offers from schools we should be competing with, instead we are battling the likes of Florida International. I don't see these players helping us win a Big Ten title. Are we going after players with speed and athleticism and hoping to turn them in great players? I think it's crucial that we have a very very good recruiting class this year to make up for the seniors we will be losing. Brewster said on the radio this past Sunday, that we have somewhere in the neighborhood of 28 signings, which means we have about 16 slots left. I'm hoping for a few more 4 stars before this over. We are number 36 in the Rivals Team rankings and 48 on Scout. This isn't going to get it done. Someone help calm my nerves.

should calm your nerves a little: Im guessing the commit percentage after being in TCf will be close to 100%.

According to Rivals:

Ht:5'11"
verifiedWt:200 lbs
verified40:4.49 secs
Bench Max:365
Squat Max:600
Vertical:36 inches

he must be a load!

I concede up front that I know little about recruiting, but from what I can tell the players on our radar are not ranked very high at all (with the exception of Henderson), and some aren't ranked at all. They have no offers from schools we should be competing with, instead we are battling the likes of Florida International. I don't see these players helping us win a Big Ten title. Are we going after players with speed and athleticism and hoping to turn them in great players? I think it's crucial that we have a very very good recruiting class this year to make up for the seniors we will be losing. Brewster said on the radio this past Sunday, that we have somewhere in the neighborhood of 28 signings, which means we have about 16 slots left. I'm hoping for a few more 4 stars before this over. We are number 36 in the Rivals Team rankings and 48 on Scout. This isn't going to get it done. Someone help calm my nerves.

I'll give this the old college try since we are, after all, talking about college football. There are very few schools around the country can simply look at a list of top prospects, check off the guys they want, and then close the deal in that kind of systematic way. Needless to say, we're not one of them. In fact, I don't think too many coaches rely heavily (if at all) on ranking services when deciding who they want. Rather, the job of evaluation comes from examining film and watching a kid perform in person.

Would I love to have a whole bunch of five-stars and high level four-stars? Absolutely. But those honors are generally reserved for the big dogs (ala...USC, Ohio State, Michigan, Texas, Florida and so on...). The vast majority of schools need to sign a few four stars, the occasional five star and then rely on good three and two star players to help make things happen.

In our case, we already have one high level four star (OL Jimmy Gjere) and another pretty good four star in Lamonte Edwards (either RB or LB, but its looking more like an LB). We have another high level four star in RB Dontae Williams coming to visit along with two more four stars in RB Ethan Grant (a high school teammate of Victor Keise's) and RB Josh Huff coming for a look see. After that, we are the leaders for Marquise Hill (who has a bunch of very good offers and is listed as an athlete, but could be a WR) and are amongst the leaders for DL Antonio Ford (who has a list of impressive offers) and DL Beau Allen (another very good list). Also, the film on Kenny Bell
(who also has the Gophers high on his list and has at least talked to some very good schools) is impressive and I think he can project as another Stoudemire type at some point. Add in a pretty nice list for safety James Manuel (who also is very high on the Gophers) and I think we're in decent shape.

Are we to the point of bringing in the top-of-the-top at every position? Absolutely not. But, the vast majority of teams aren't able to do that either. Certainly, a lot of the kids that are now coming for visits are not the types of kids that would have given us a sniff even five years ago, so progress is being made.

None of this of course guarantees that we'll be winning the Big Ten down the road. That's a big jump considering where we are and where we've been. All I can say is be patient and have a little faith. It takes time for a program like ours to build up enough talent in several classes to say "yeah, I think we realistically compete for the Rose Bowl this year", especially when schools like Ohio State, Penn State and Michigan seemingly have a 40-year head start. For us, it's a process and it won't happen overnight.

Sorry for the long message but hope this helps (if even a little bit!!:)).

Okay, in keeping with the whole "who is visiting when" conversation, (at least as far as we know), here's what has been confirmed so far.

9/12/09 vs. Air Force
Tyrone Bouie,
Toby Durham,
Ethan Grant,
Kevin Kisseberth,
RobDonovan Lewis,
Jabari Price,
Wesley Vincent,
Dontae Williams,

9/19/09 vs. California
Josh Huff,
James Manuel,
Josh Tauaefa,

Also, just as a matter of interest, Scout is reporting that Pahokee DL Richard Ash is "very interested" in visiting Minnesota in the future as well. Whether that means he makes a trip with Doral Willis or Antonio Ford or both at some point may be worth keeping in eye on. In any case, it appears the list of visitors for early home games is coming into clearer focus.

As a matter of editorial comment, it sure would be cool to pull in three from Pahokee. I realize that we're a long way off from that happening (and it may be overly optimistic), but Willis is obviously having an impact on his highly touted teammates. It sure would be nice to have an "in" with Pahokee considering the level of talent they produce on an annual basis.

We should tell him that he'll only get a 3 game suspension if he punches someone at Minnesota.

Top Bottom