Don't give up hope on the Holiday yet

Captain Obvious

Reaction score
Jerry Palm's bowl projections updated this morning show the Gophers to San Diego vs. Washington State. And despite yesterday's loss it does make some sense.
I seem to remember after the last time the Gophers went to the Music City Bowl (for the fourth time), the President and CEO of the MCB Scott Ramsey expressed disappointment with Minnesota, saying on a radio show that 'reasons 1 through 10 why we are discontinuing our contract with the Big Ten is because of Minnesota'. Probably referring to the lack of ticket sales, as the Gophers have participated in 3 of the 4 smallest attendances in MCB history. MCB has of course reconnected with the Big Ten since. Iowa has never been invited to the MCB.

Here is Scott Ramseys' quote from The Tennessean on Nov 19, 2016:

Ramsey said he is closely watching two Big Ten teams in particular — Iowa and Nebraska — which he believes would be good fits for the Music City Bowl. Wisconsin is an outside possibility.

"We look at Iowa and Nebraska as two teams we've got a good shot at, or a Wisconsin if they should stumble along the way," Ramsey said. "All three represent exactly what we're hoping to get: great fan bases, brands that would be unique to Nashville and each would really match up well with an SEC opponent."
http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/2016/11/18/music-city-bowl-big/94022874/

Not sure how the MCB really knows? I bought tickets on the day of the game and they didn't ask who I was supporting. Fun game against Alabama even if it was Shula, not Sabin. I have been to several bowl games, MCB might be the best - but then I love Nashville.

Minnesota has 3 appearances in MCB. 2-1 record and only 2 wins there by a B1G Conference representative. In the 2 games having smallest attendance, the opponents were Arkansas (SEC runner-up) with fans disappointed with their team being bypassed for better game and Virginia. I think San Diego is realistic as well. 2 years ago, they really wanted the Gophers as well. The January 1 Game drought was a significant factor in that decision being made IMO.

Top Bottom