Donovahn Jones

6 Nov 1999

Reaction score
Did #4 Donovahn Jones play last night? I don't remember seeing him play or hear his name. Seems we could have used him last night. Is he hurt? Is he in the dog house?

he played all game. he was the guy that got shorthopped on a throw when he was wide open as well as had the ball thrown towards him that he would've needed to be 9 feet tall to catch when he was also wide open

he played all game. he was the guy that got shorthopped on a throw when he was wide open as well as had the ball thrown towards him that he would've needed to be 9 feet tall to catch when he was also wide open

upnorthkid,

For each play described above, what quarter were we in, and who was the QB? Sorry for all the dumb questions. I am slowly watching my DVR recording of the game (not HD). I can only take so many minutes at a time. That guy Bromley for Syracuse was blowing through our offensive line like it was butter all night long. If Hageman is a 2nd round draft pick, this guy Bromley is a 1st round draft pick.

upnorthkid,

For each play described above, what quarter were we in, and who was the QB? Sorry for all the dumb questions. I am slowly watching my DVR recording of the game (not HD). I can only take so many minutes at a time. That guy Bromley for Syracuse was blowing through our offensive line like it was butter all night long. If Hageman is a 2nd round draft pick, this guy Bromley is a 1st round draft pick.
Leidner short hopped him, Nelson overthrew him.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

If I remember right, he also broke up at least two would be INTs. One on an under thrown deep ball down the right sideline and the other on a 10-15 yard out that was thrown into coverage.

If I remember right, he also broke up at least two would be INTs. One on an under thrown deep ball down the right sideline and the other on a 10-15 yard out that was thrown into coverage.

I was really impressed on an overthrow to him that I was thought would be picked off, but he jumped up and almost came down with it.

He's the guy Kill decided wasn't going to get jet sweeps, because they worked too well during the win streak.

He's the guy Kill decided wasn't going to get jet sweeps, because they worked too well during the win streak.

where do you keep getting this crap that Kill is the one deciding this? and before you spout off about how Jones' running of these plays worked so well, the only game he did anything on his jet sweeps was the Neb game (4 for 42). The other 3, 6 for 15 yards. for comparison, he carried it 2 times for 9 yards against wisc and 2 for 2 yards against Mich St.
Jones not getting the ball on jets was because the guy calling the plays (Limegrover) elected to only call one all game and it was fumbled. I put this all on Limegrover as he got away from what had worked for us to this point, pound the ball with Cobb and mix in some QB run, jets, and PA pass. Simply put, Limegrover shat the bed calling plays and it killed us. we all know our usual breakdown is about 70 30 run to pass ratio and in this game it was far closer to 50 50. it is what it is now, but stop trying to throw Kill under the bus for calls he does not make.

Well then Kill has a big problem as a head coach if he doesn't tell his offensive coordinator to change things up or go back to things that worked. A coach can't stand pat when one side of the ball isn't performing well on a consistent basis.

This coaching staff is so stubborn and stupid. When I'm playing NCAA football on my PS3, I go to a no-back formation with Maxx in the slot. All the WRs run fly patterns, while Maxx runs a post. It's open 90 percent of the time. I don't understand why they don't just run that play all day in real life. I'm obviously an offensive genius.

This coaching staff is so stubborn and stupid. When I'm playing NCAA football on my PS3, I go to a no-back formation with Maxx in the slot. All the WRs run fly patterns, while Maxx runs a post. It's open 90 percent of the time. I don't understand why they don't just run that play all day in real life. I'm obviously an offensive genius.

Maybe Limegrover should have a PlayStation console in the press box so he can run NCAA Football scenarios to help him with play calling.

Well then Kill has a big problem as a head coach if he doesn't tell his offensive coordinator to change things up or go back to things that worked. A coach can't stand pat when one side of the ball isn't performing well on a consistent basis.

I'd love to see a stat on the % of plays SU blitzed on. It was a lot. Tough to run a jet sweep when they are bringing extra guys on the outside. Maybe Kill/Limegrover thought it was better not to risk that. It is possible they know better than you - just maybe.

I'd love to see a stat on the % of plays SU blitzed on. It was a lot. Tough to run a jet sweep when they are bringing extra guys on the outside. Maybe Kill/Limegrover thought it was better not to risk that. It is possible they know better than you - just maybe.

I agree somewhat. But I will say why not run one or two to see if they work or not? At the very least, it may make a few guys a little less aggressive on the outside.

big fan of that play. kills the safety as he's gotta honor the wideout on the fly. Maxx just kills em on it.

I think one of the reasons that SU blitzed so much was that we were running essentially 3 different plays repeatedly. SU was very effective through most of the game stopping MN's offense. As long as we did not change the types of plays we were running, why would SU change their defensive scheme. Our offensive play calling was horrendous in its predictability. Maybe if Limey had tried a screen pass or bubble screen to slow down the blitz, SU would not have blitzed as much. But hey, what do I know, I am just a fan and not a coach. Let's not question Kill or Limey as they know so much more than us and we cannot blame them for the loss.

Run 1 or 2 to see. Huh? They ran 1, it was a turnover.

Run 1 or 2 to see. Huh? They ran 1, it was a turnover.

It was our own mistake. Syracuse didn't stop that play. Why not see if Syracuse can stop an actual jet sweep? That is my point.

Do you also feel that if we fumble and throw and interception in a game, we should just take a knee the rest of the game? I mean, if that happens we obviously should stop running and passing the ball. Maybe just punt on first down?

Tell me more

Screen pass for sure. Should have done that. Pretty standard (and effective) against an aggressive D. I just think the her sweep would have been tough and I understand why the coaches didn't want to run it.

They definitely do know better than me, and I hope you don't think I was implying that I know better. I just hope that Jerry is a good enough big school coach that he can evaluate and mix things up/make adjustments when needed.

I know it wasn't run for Jones, but didn't we botch the jet sweep attempt b/w Fruechte and Nelson?

It was our own mistake. Syracuse didn't stop that play. Why not see if Syracuse can stop an actual jet sweep? That is my point.

Do you also feel that if we fumble and throw and interception in a game, we should just take a knee the rest of the game? I mean, if that happens we obviously should stop running and passing the ball. Maybe just punt on first down?

I wondered the same thing, but I think Syracuse's scheme was simply to blow everything up at the line-of-scrimmage by throwing a lot of guys at us and something as slow-developing as the jet sweep probably pushed the coaches thinking in a different direction. Just a guess on my part. We didn't control the line-of-scrimmage all night on offense, which I thought we would.

He needs to rep at qb in the spring. He has to much athleticism not to give it a shot.

Yep that makes sense....we are so deep and talented at the WR position why spend time trying to turn him into a weapon out there when we can make him a project QB instead and try to turn him into something at that position in a couple of years.

Everyone was recruiting the kid to be a WR....there is a reason for that and the simple reason is that he is not a D1 QB. To Kill's credit he told the kid he would give him a shot but based on the way things played out and Jones's apparent acceptance of his new roll that even he realizes the QB thing is just not going to happen at this level.

Sometimes execution is more important than play calling. Screens, jet sweeps, whatever works on playstation...all of those are nice in theory, but not simple to get the timing and execution down. This offense will improve in '14.

Top Bottom