Does The Cold Hurt Recruiting?

sidefx182

Reaction score
Watching the Ohio St. game last night and Jim Jackson said, "Cuse' and UNC were my top two schools, before OSU." "I visited Cuse' in the middle of the winter and that changed my mind real quick."

You would like to think it doesn't, but how could it not? Who wouldn't rather be in a warmer state than MN?

I think you're kidding yourself if you think it doesn't hurt, particularly with kids from southern states. Can you imagine if your idea of cold was fifty degrees, and then you came here on a winter day?

Not as much as a lack of 24/7 available practice facility. B1G is cold country and has the best hoops in the nation. Can't be that big of a deal for enough guys to create five teams in the top 20.

Not a big deal for basketball; a large percentage of B1G players are from the northern tier. On the other hand I can see how some southern football players are turned off by the prospect of playing in the cold and dealing with the winter.

Over the next few years we only need to recruit the State of Minnesota and Eastern Wisconsin to be loaded with talent. the weather should not scare any of these kids.

Not a big deal for basketball; a large percentage of B1G players are from the northern tier. On the other hand I can see how some southern football players are turned off by the prospect of playing in the cold and dealing with the winter.

Totally agree. You can field a good BB team recruiting mainly northern state players. Heck if you had the top players from MN, Wisc, and Illinois on your team you would be a top 10 team year in and year out. I do agree it might be a bigger factor in Football with so many talented kids in the south.

It effects football more than basketball because the former is outside.

Most of the basketball meccas (NYC, Chicago) are in the cold weather regions so it doesn't mean as much.

Cold does effect things when dealing with kids outside the region, I mean if you can build a good reputation for the program it wont matter, just look at kentucky, I mean who wants to live there! Minnesota has a good chance over the next few years to recruit great players because of the talent coming out of the region, which could lead to some sorta reputation on to the one tubby already has, and than they could start recruiting outside the region if the talent is elsewhere, why i always say next few years are going to be very important for the program in the long run, state hasn't seen this much talent come out of the region in such span in a long time, maybe ever(I'm only 21, so I might be wrong), so you have to take advantage of it and get these kids to stay home and make deep tourney runs with them, so far Tubby has been good at keeping the local talents that he likes to stay home

I think we should ask Darrel Mitchell and Cookie Holmes as well as Mychal Thompson. Or has the college basketball player changed that much over the years?

For basketball it shouldn't matter much as the Gophers could field a great team with only kids from Minnesota, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin and other cold weather B1G states. As was already pointed out in this thread the Gophers have two guys with pretty good offers in the Andre and Austin Hollins from the Memphis area and previously recruited Ralph Sampson from Georgia.

For football, it's going to be an issue for all B1G schools that want southern speed players. I don't buy that it's a bigger issue for Minnesota than any other B1G school though. A kid from Florida/Texas is going to feel just as cold in virtually any other B1G state as they are in Minnesota. Minnesota is not going to lose a kid from Texas to Michigan State or Nebraska because of the weather...but they may lose that kid to Oklahoma State.

i think it matters somewhat

I don't think it means we cant field a championship team but in my view the pool of recruits who will come to the U is marginalized by the weather.

I don't think it means we cant field a championship team but in my view the pool of recruits who will come to the U is marginalized by the weather.

Fair enough but the fact you're located in a big city opens up another pool of recruits who will be more attracted to Minnesota than say Nebraska based on that factor..Might even things out...

I think alot of other factors would come into play before weather...Not a good excuse.

Of course it matters a little bit, it isn't complete wusses who don't want to live in Mpls in the winter. Most of us were born here and we are used to it, but there is a reason that we are colder than almost any other major metro area in the entire world.

That said, I don't think it's that big of deal. There are enough kids who are from colder climates and we have other advantages (being in the Big 10 and a major metro area).

As far as the 'Cuse example, it's a bit different because Syracuse's location. Being in a smaller place in the middle of winter is tough.

Fair enough but the fact you're located in a big city opens up another pool of recruits who will be more attracted to Minnesota than say Nebraska based on that factor..Might even things out...

I think alot of other factors would come into play before weather...Not a good excuse.

I don't think it's an excuse, but if someone is asking if it is a factor at all....I can't see how anyone could say that it wasn't a slight factor.

I don't think it's an excuse, but if someone is asking if it is a factor at all....I can't see how anyone could say that it wasn't a slight factor.

It's a BIG deal to those southern kids that hate cold.

I think we should ask Darrel Mitchell and Cookie Holmes as well as Mychal Thompson. Or has the college basketball player changed that much over the years?

Forget asking Thompson about the weather up here. He LOVES to regale his audience with stories about how cold it is up here.

You're missing the point.

Of course it won't matter to all recruits. Neither the OP or anyone else is suggesting that MN can't be good here because it's so cold and no one is arguing that it's the major factor. Every place has it's plusses and minuses, the intensity of our cold weather is a negative (to which degree depends upon the person). I can't imagine many people, besides some of the die hard winter sports people who would prefer 11 degree highs to 60 degree highs today.

Bo has done it at Wisky with the majority of his players from Minnesota and Wisconsin.

There is plenty of hoops talent in the upper Midwest. The key is getting them or keeping them in Minnesota

I'll take the same approach as I do when asked if the AJ Barker story was going to hurt football recruiting. I don't want a player who is afraid of the cold any more than I want a player who is afraid of the coach yelling at them. I'd like to see this team built around toughness.

Either way, I think non-sports factors affect recruiting less than other people do. These kids want to go pro, they have to know that not very many college players do make it. What they care about is playing for a team that will be successful enough to get them on the national stage and playing in a system that will value their skill-set so that the scouts see what they have to offer. If they think the team is one that can go on a big tournament run and they we be a key cog in that endeavor, I think they would play in an unheated ice-fishing shack.

Secure two of the top three Minnesota kids every year and you don't need to worry about prospects from other regions. We're doing pretty well this year with Coleman, Mbakwe, and Williams. As we're seeing, keeping kids together for several years makes for effective team play. Keep recruiting guys like these three who stay with the program and we can be an annual competitor.

Jim Jackson didn't go to Columbus for the weather, it's not warm and it's one of the cloudiest cities in the United States. He wasn't even talking about the cold when he mentioned Syracuse...he was referring to the snow. Syracuse is America's snowiest major city.

Does weather affect recruiting? Sure, but not as much as most Minnesota fans want to think. Syracuse has one of the best programs in the country despite average 128 inches of snow per year.

It matters a bit but winning matters more. There are powerhouse programs in Storrs, CT and Syracuse, NY. Both are snowy and cold, but they win so kids want to go there. During the season players basically go to class then go to practice so its not like kids at USC are at the beach all day anyway, plus its an indoor sport. Winning always trumps everything. Minneapolis is cold but as a city its much more fun than Lawrence, Kansas or Lexington. However it may not have the same 'college town' feel either.

It absolutely matters. I agree that the likes of UConn, Kansas, Michigan State, and Syracuse overcome lousy weather by winning. We don't have that track record. A player that might be willing to let 10 degree highs in January and frequent 3 inch snow falls slide to attend those schools won’t give the U of M the same slack. Let's face it, getting a top notch player from Southern California, Texas or Georgia can be very tough because many non Minnesotans perceive this place as being like Antarctica. More than a few Northern players prefer warm weather states or mild winter states to staying in their home state or region as well. We also must recruit nationally to maximize the quality of incoming players.

You overcome something beyond your control, like the weather, by maximizing the elements within your control to balance things out. That means getting a practice facility, renovating or replacing Williams Arena to ensure modern game day facilities, providing top class dorm accommodations, giving players access to an NBA level weight and training room, offering a fulfilling off the floor life, and offering excellent academic resources that don't go to Gangelhoff levels. Add those things together to create wins, then build on that combination to recruit better talent and keep things rolling forward. Weather and climate will matter less and less from there.

It probably hurts more in football where a greater percentage of top athletes are from the south. But I'm sure it does have an affect on some recruits.

Top Bottom