Does Pitino miss having Dan McHale on his staff?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
I'm grasping for straws on what's going on, but both IAM4Goldy and Rouser brought this point up to me tonight. Does the staff miss having Dan McHale? He was easily the most vocal assistant during games the last two years, this years assistants are much less active during games and during time-outs. I'm not sure if we have an assistant on the verge of getting a D1 HC position like McHale was...that being said, its not as if last year was a banner year, but something to consider.

In hindsight (and many people on GH brought it up at the time), Pitino may have benefited from bringing in a former HC or at least an assistant on the verge of becoming a HC when McHale's position opened up during the offseason.

Go Gophers!!

Eastern Kentucky is 7-2 so far this season, they've broken 100 3 times, and have only scored less than 80 twice. Seems to be going fairly well for him so far.

They play Kentucky tomorrow at 6 on ESPN2 for those interested. I might check it out.

I've had the exact same thought. I remember reading that McHale had the scout for the MSU game last year and was reportedly calling out their sets to the guys during last years win in East Lansing.

The other thought I've had is that the 3 coaches currently on staff were all college guards in Young, Johnson, and Pomeday. We don't have a former big man on staff and our interior defense and rebounding are obviously terrible.

This is weird - a bunch of us are thinking the same thing. When Holy Man asked me during the game who coaches defense on this team, I said it must be Dan McHale.

Well it didn't matter last year. With that being said I liked McHale hope he does well and climbs the ranks, but I think we would still be a bad team. Ben Johnson or Kimani needs to step up. I know Pitino says he likes to have up and comers as assistants and like his dad wants them to become head coaches within a few years, but this also isn't Louisville and he's still an up and comer, maybe a veteran guy would help for a couple years.

The two African kids are borderline worthless. That's on lil Ricky.

The two African kids are borderline worthless. That's on lil Ricky.

I don't think Konate worthless, but Gaston I say we bury him on the bench next year and encourage him to transfer his senior year, it'll give us another opening for 2017

I don't think Konate worthless, but Gaston I say we bury him on the bench next year and encourage him to transfer his senior year, it'll give us another opening for 2017

The nice thing about Gaston is his age. He could theoretically be quite a bit bigger than some younger players he'd go against. Does little good if he can't use it though.

The nice thing about Gaston is his age. He could theoretically be quite a bit bigger than some younger players he'd go against. Does little good if he can't use it though.

Agreed I think Konate's the same age, could be wrong though. Gaston has cement feet

Speaking of McHale, what's Kevin doing? Maybe he could work with the bigs and help our interior defense.

Top Bottom