Does Edwards red shirt this year ?

play hard

Reaction score
Does Edwards red shirt this year now that we have 3 capable running backs ( 2- jrs and one So)? Maybe they do unless Kirkwood injury is severe. How many carries would he get with these guys already playing?

This offense needs playmakers and someone who can hit a homerun. If the coaching staff feels that Edwards can be that guy, he should play. If they think he's not ready or if the injury will hold him back all year (high ankle sprains are tricky) then he should redshirt.

I think maybe we should redshirt him. Already missed 3 games. I thought Maye and D. Jones were supposed to provide some homerun threats. In our offense we can put a WR in motion to the backfield and switch it up.

Fair question. Aside from injuries, it may come down to one of those do we need him to help get the sixth win against Indiana to become bowl eligible. I'm hoping we start 6-0 and a decision is made that we save him for next year. That said, I never get too concerned about playing freshman running backs because of the high probability that they may need a redshirt year at some point in their career.

For me, it would depend if they feel he will be 100% in the next game or two. If it is injury that will be nagging all year, then I would redshirt him.

I'm hoping to see some wildcat with Jones once in awhile going forward. Just a small package of 4-5 plays a game to keep the defense off balance.

It is the ankle AND the knee. Kirkwood was dressed for the game and doing some of the drills. I didn't see Edwards in uniform. They already took the RS off of Myrick ( played special teams yesterday) Myrick is also taking snaps at RB.

Fair question. Aside from injuries, it may come down to one of those do we need him to help get the sixth win against Indiana to become bowl eligible. I'm hoping we start 6-0 and a decision is made that we save him for next year. That said, I never get too concerned about playing freshman running backs because of the high probability that they may need a redshirt year at some point in their career.

I think a big part of the decision on Edwards will be based on how the other backs hold up when Big Ten play starts. If our running game vanishes like it has in the past it would not surprise me to see them put Edwards in there to try and make something happen. If the running game is working or his health is still in question then chances are he would redshirt.

It still comes down to if the coaches feel he can help the team win games they will play him, saving that extra year really isn't that important to them if a guy can help now.

I'd like to see him redshirted. Why waste a 5th year of him playing for 6 games this year. We'll be more interested in 13-14 games of him that year...

If he's ready by NW, he needs to play this year.

If he's ready by NW, he needs to play this year.

Agreed. The entire non-conference schedule should be W's with or without Berkeley. If he can help us win Big Ten games that we would otherwise lose though, he should be played. His speed could conceivably be the difference between a 7-5 and 6-6 season this year (or better).

Won't redshirt if he can be back by somewhere near midseason, or unless he decides he wants to.

Top Bottom