Does Claeys and Co. get offered somewhere else?

minibeaver

Reaction score
So I was thinking, everybody mentions we can give Claeys a smallish contract with little buyout for a year or two and see what happens. I wonder if their are not some struggling FBS schools out there willing to take a chance on Claeys, especially/mostly if he were able to bring everyone with him, and he does well the rest of the year. Although his HC experience is lacking, his staff behind him is a huge asset.

Does anyone think we will have some competition when the real contract negotiations start?

He'll be here if the U offers him the job. If he isn't offered the job, I could see him getting a HC offer elsewhere and bringing the staff. The North Texas job is open and the New Mexico State may become available. Not top positions, of course.

The answer is no and no. No one meaningful will offer and if he accepted a head coach job at North Texas et al, the better parts of the staff will move on to other bcs jobs.

Fair enough. Didn't think it was too far out of the realm, but he is unproven as a HC for the most part.

I guess I look at it this way: A big selling point for Kill to come here was the continuity of his staff. I think maybe people under value that. Now that this staff's philosophy has been proven, their might be a school out there willing to risk a new HC if the staff comes with him.

So I was thinking, everybody mentions we can give Claeys a smallish contract with little buyout for a year or two and see what happens. I wonder if their are not some struggling FBS schools out there willing to take a chance on Claeys, especially/mostly if he were able to bring everyone with him, and he does well the rest of the year. Although his HC experience is lacking, his staff behind him is a huge asset.

Does anyone think we will have some competition when the real contract negotiations start?

Possibly Kansas State, Bill Snyder is 76.

Claeys seemed to say he had gotten offers from other schools at times but he couldn't do what he could at Minnesota. Presumably those were other struggling schools.

It seems really unlikely they'd go after Claeys & Co. with all the uncertainty of ... if they work out.

Yes they'll get interest their are currently 8 vacancies with at least that many more to come. If TC doesn't get hired here I believe they would take a MAC level or higher job if offered.

This is not a shot at Tracy Claeys. In fact, it's a compliment. Claeys does not have the personality to be an effective head coach. He's too nice of a guy.

This is not a shot at Tracy Claeys. In fact, it's a compliment. Claeys does not have the personality to be an effective head coach. He's too nice of a guy.

Ok, a couple things,

First, it sounds like a huge shot at Tracy in saying he does not have what it takes to be an effective head coach.

Second, how do you arrive at this conclusion? I personally have no way of assessing this as all I know about coach Claeys comes through media interviews and results from his defensive players, and his record as interim coach. Nothing so far would lead me anywhere near that conclusion.

Ok, a couple things,

First, it sounds like a huge shot at Tracey in saying he does not have what it takes to be an effective head coach.

Second, how do you arrive at this conclusion? I personally have no way of assessing this as all I know about coach Claeys comes through media interviews and results from his defensive players, and his record as interim coach. Nothing so far would lead me anywhere near that conclusion.

I apologize that it came across that way. I should've said that from an X's and O's and game day coaching standpoint, I think he'd be awesome. All I'm basing this on is the times I've watched or heard him speak. He doesn't come across to me as being an inspirational figure. It's a very simplistic observation. But I hope he gets the job and succeeds wildly because I believe he deserves a good shot at it and it's in the best interest of the program. He just doesn't strike me as a leader of a program like Kill does.

Somebody else said he weighs too much to be a head coach

Being a nice guy does not mean you can't lead. Tony Dungy? John Wooden? Flip Saunders? Jim Dutcher? Roy Williams? Steve Kerr? Fred Hoiberg? Pete Carroll? Bobby Bowden? pretty much all considered nice guy coaches by most people. All very succesful in my opinion.

His weight and his nice guy image might keep him from getting a job but neither will prevent him from being successful doing his job.

The benefit of 5 games, including the next three, are this staff's wild card. I'm confident there will be some surprises, and also have a feeling that TC will be a head coach next season. I'm not confident it will be at Minnesota. After laying bricks for 5 seasons, it would be nice to see this staff reap the rewards, which includes a fine-looking 2016 class. Obviously he gets offered if the Gophers win their last 6 games. I wonder what the folks in Illinois think.

The benefit of 5 games, including the next three, are this staff's wild card. I'm confident there will be some surprises, and also have a feeling that TC will be a head coach next season. I'm not confident it will be at Minnesota. After laying bricks for 5 seasons, it would be nice to see this staff reap the rewards, which includes a fine-looking 2016 class. Obviously he gets offered if the Gophers win their last 6 games. I wonder what the folks in Illinois think.
You think it would take a 6-0 finish for Claeys to be offered?

You think it would take a 6-0 finish for Claeys to be offered?

No. But, I think there is a tipping point where he and this staff have negotiating leverage, and not confident the UM administration understands the situation. I heard someone in the media suggest due to the investigation and President's timeline to hire AD first, that TC gets 2016 almost by default. Right now Gophers are underdogs in final 5 games. How many "upset" wins gives this staff leverage? TC admittedly is not JK. No one is. But the foundation is in place and I'm obviously biased due to my friendship with this staff, and belief in how they go about things.

I think it's asinine stupid to say that Claeys can't succeed as a head coach because he's too nice. He's a very persuasive and engaging guy when he speaks candidly. Didn't you watch his press conference on Wednesday?

I can definitely see Kansas or Kansas State wanting him, especially if the staff (or a good portion of the staff) comes with as a package deal. The challenge there is that some guys on staff probably wouldn't want to move on, especially to a job in the stix, when they've been making big bucks and living the good life in the Twin Cities.

I think it's asinine stupid to say that Claeys can't succeed as a head coach because he's too nice. He's a very persuasive and engaging guy when he speaks candidly. Didn't you watch his press conference on Wednesday?

I can definitely see Kansas or Kansas State wanting him, especially if the staff (or a good portion of the staff) comes with as a package deal. The challenge there is that some guys on staff probably wouldn't want to move on, especially to a job in the stix, when they've been making big bucks and living the good life in the Twin Cities.

I'm sorry you believe my opinion is asinine. I admit that I didn't elaborate enough on my opinion to clearly communicate my thoughts. Yes, I have watched and listened to TC this week and over the past 4 years. He seems like a good man and an excellent coach. He must be a great defensive mind and he seems like a very good game day coach.

When I ask myself if I see the inspirational leadership qualities presumably required for a head coach, the first impression answer is "no". When I ask myself if he could've done what Jerry has done for this program in all respects, the answer I come up with is "no". He doesn't strike me as enough of a diplomat for the position. He doesn't strike me as a program visionary. He doesn't strike me as a man that would have the same impact as Kill had in a recruit's living room.

Oddly, I would like TC to be the next head coach of the Golden Gophers because he has earned an opportunity, it's in the best interests of the program, because I know my perceptions are often dead wrong and because I've seen so many men who seem to possess the qualities I speak of fail miserably.

TC simply doesn't strike me as the "face of a program". It's not because of his looks, not because of his weight. I just don't see him having a commanding presence or being an inspirational figure. I hope I'm as wrong as a person can be. You see, I learn a lot more in life and grow as a person more when I'm wrong.

Overweight and unattractive people face an uphill battle in all walks of life. This has been proven in all manner of studies and social experiments.

We are seeing that in action here. Claeyes has constructed a very good defense out of 2 and 3 star players at a school that hasn't played decent defense in almost a generation. That is a hell of an accomplishment. Yet there are nabobs clamoring for abject failures like Kiffin and Sarkisian. Coaches that have turned 4 and 5 stars into 2 stars on the field. It's mind boggling.

Competence over flash, honesty over hot air. Claeyes is a hell of a coach and does a decent enough job communicating. I much prefer his style over just about anyone in the Big Ten except Urban Meyer. That's the only one I'd take. He should be our guy until proven otherwise. I get the objections; being overweight amplifies other negative qualities we see in people that we may minimize or overlook if they have that heroic visage. It's human nature. Kill wasn't an attractive guy either; rough around the edges. Plenty of hesitation about him way back, if I recall.

When I ask myself if I see the inspirational leadership qualities presumably required for a head coach, the first impression answer is "no". When I ask myself if he could've done what Jerry has done for this program in all respects, the answer I come up with is "no". He doesn't strike me as enough of a diplomat for the position. He doesn't strike me as a program visionary. He doesn't strike me as a man that would have the same impact as Kill had in a recruit's living room.

TC simply doesn't strike me as the "face of a program". It's not because of his looks, not because of his weight. I just don't see him having a commanding presence or being an inspirational figure.
Read the story bleed posted from the Omaha World Herald. Try to recall the reaction when Kill was hired. No one can match JK's charisma and genuine spirit. And TC probably knows that better than anyone. But, now without respectfully yielding to Kill's authority I'm hoping Tracy can spread his wings and use what he's learned to leap ahead. Couldn't have had a better teacher for what epitomizes college football.

There's a big difference between being the #2 guy and the #1 guy. the #2 guy generally has to take a back seat to the #1 guy. But, when the #2 guy gets a chance to be the #1 guy, he is free to do his own thing and express himself differently, because he doesn't have to hold back out of concern for upstaging or contradicting the #1 guy.

Or, in other words, evaluating Claeys' demeanor as an assistant does not predict what his demeanor might be as the head coach. Some people can grow into the responsibility of the position.

Read the story bleed posted from the Omaha World Herald. Try to recall the reaction when Kill was hired. No one can match JK's charisma and genuine spirit. And TC probably knows that better than anyone. But, now without respectfully yielding to Kill's authority I'm hoping Tracy can spread his wings and use what he's learned to leap ahead. Couldn't have had a better teacher for what epitomizes college football.

Points well taken and persuasive.

There's a big difference between being the #2 guy and the #1 guy. the #2 guy generally has to take a back seat to the #1 guy. But, when the #2 guy gets a chance to be the #1 guy, he is free to do his own thing and express himself differently, because he doesn't have to hold back out of concern for upstaging or contradicting the #1 guy.

Or, in other words, evaluating Claeys' demeanor as an assistant does not predict what his demeanor might be as the head coach. Some people can grow into the responsibility of the position.

Very valid points. I'm changing my mind. Thx.

Top Bottom