Does CBJ ever work the officials?

I don't mean to belabor the point, but take for example the ACC tourney game with NCState and UNC. Kevin Keatts for NCSTATE was 3 feet onto the court WHILE the action was going on a few feet away from him. Hubert Davis for UNC was telling the refs to do something about it but they didn't the entire game. During the game, it even got to the point that RJ Davis was hitting threes with Keatts over his shoulder and Davis was turning around and trash talking him after he hit a shot.

I don't want Johnson to do stuff like that and act the fool, but the sad thing is that it hurts us that he doesn't. Remember when Clem would throw off his suit coat and stomp his feet like a child? Silly, but man did we get some calls our way after he did it...
Are we absolutely sure that's why the Gophers seemed to get some calls, or could it have been that his team started playing better and earning calls? I'm of the opinion that any ref who starts calling a game differently due to a coaches tantrum has no business being a ref. If I were one of the league officiating monitors/graders, that's one of the first things I would be looking for and docking a grade for.

Ben just doesn't seem like a guy who gets super animated in situations where he is in disagreement with the refs. I'm sure he has some things he reviews pregame with them that he want them to have top of mind and reminds them during the game. I have seen him many times cover his mouth when talking to a ref...I assume he is using some strong language.

I never advocated the CBJ act like a maniac, but I can't think of a coach that is less demonstrative, either with his team or with the refs as he is.

IMO B10 refs are terrible and are incredibly slanted towards the home team. i saw some ridiculous statistic that B10 home teams won over 90% of the conference games this year...far and away the highest percentage of conferences. I believe a part of that comes from home-court coaches being intimidating as well as the crowd's reactions. Just my thoughts..

I don't mean to belabor the point, but take for example the ACC tourney game with NCState and UNC. Kevin Keatts for NCSTATE was 3 feet onto the court WHILE the action was going on a few feet away from him. Hubert Davis for UNC was telling the refs to do something about it but they didn't the entire game. During the game, it even got to the point that RJ Davis was hitting threes with Keatts over his shoulder and Davis was turning around and trash talking him after he hit a shot.

I don't want Johnson to do stuff like that and act the fool, but the sad thing is that it hurts us that he doesn't. Remember when Clem would throw off his suit coat and stomp his feet like a child? Silly, but man did we get some calls our way after he did it...
Clem didn't throw his coat for the benefit of refs. He did it at home to rev the crowd and hype his players. He won some games taking the strategic T.

Ben just doesn't seem like a guy who gets super animated in situations where he is in disagreement with the refs. I'm sure he has some things he reviews pregame with them that he want them to have top of mind and reminds them during the game. I have seen him many times cover his mouth when talking to a ref...I assume he is using some strong language.
Having been lucky enough to sit on the floor, right next to many coaches over the years, I can guarantee that, just because you can't see it on TV or hear it from 50 feet away, doesn't mean there isn't any fire or intensity going on. I'm also one of those people who doesn't put my emotions on my sleeve, but never doubt they are burning bright and the people who need to know what I'm thinking definitely do, even though it's not obvious to everybody.

Top Bottom