Does CBJ ever work the officials?

cheeseheadgophfan

Reaction score
I'm not advocating being a Fran or even an Izzo when it comes to getting on the refs, but does CBJ ever lose his cool and ride the officials? I realize the cameras aren't always on him, but I don't know if I've ever seen a coach show so little emotion, both positive and negative. Certainly can't think of a B10 coach who complains less to the refs. We certainly weren't getting a whistle today and more often than not, I don't think we get the benefit of a good whistle in B10 play. Sometimes, you gotta throw the suit-coat ala Clem to get the refs attention, right?

I'm not advocating being a Fran or even an Izzo when it comes to getting on the refs, but does CBJ ever lose his cool and ride the officials? I realize the cameras aren't always on him, but I don't know if I've ever seen a coach show so little emotion, both positive and negative. Certainly can't think of a B10 coach who complains less to the refs. We certainly weren't getting a whistle today and more often than not, I don't think we get the benefit of a good whistle in B10 play. Sometimes, you gotta throw the suit-coat ala Clem to get the refs attention, right?
He took a T at Purdue which changed the trajectory of the game. He gets on them at least some.

He does some. I do think he should do more. But he also probably hasn't "earned the right to complain" yet with the old school refs.

Why? It's not on Professor Thorson's syllabus, yet.

This I think is one of my bigger complaints with CBJ. So let me preface this, by all accounts CBJ seems like a great human, which in theory is awesome. However, in this level of sports, right or wrong, I think you have to be an a$$hole. I don't like watching Fran or Izzo gripe...but it works! I think this carries over into recruiting. I think CBJ makes his pitch and when the going gets tough he backs off. Again I'm not saying it's ideal but if you have to lie to a kid and say ohh for sure you're starting and leading us in shots to get them, well then that's what it takes. A lot of the best coaches are scum bag humans, and again I reiterate that sucks, but it's the profession. I wish CBJ would show emotion, yell a little, do something!

Complaining that people who don’t agree with you are complainers. Hmm?

Nice try kiddo.

My point, was and is, that some on here would prefer he gesticulate wildly or see smoke 💨 come out of his ears vs. being in control and making his pleas to the refs in a more controlled manner.

I coupled this with a somewhat tongue in cheek analogy about those posters getting upset at waiting in line at coffee shop - this hardly qualifies as a scathing critique, even for Woodbury, maybe Stillwater😀.

BTW - Deion says howdy 🤠

Last edited:

He is the silent assassin for sure.

I don’t pay a lot of attention to Ben during games. Maybe he does more of this than I think but he seems passive. Curious what halftime looks like when they are not playing well in terms of his demeanor.

It's amazing the 180 people do.

Tubby was generally chill...generally, minus the stare

Pitino comes in, throws his jacket and gets t'd up and people love it. Eventually people complain about his sideline antics and tantrums as he's lost his cool.

Now we're back at a chill coach and wanting theater

Good times 😎

Pitino comes in, throws his jacket and gets t'd up and people love it. Eventually people complain about his sideline antics and tantrums as he's lost his cool.

Good times 😎
There was a lot of folks upset with Pitino for yelling at the refs?

Nice try kiddo.

My point, was and is, that some on here would prefer he gesticulate wildly or see smoke 💨 come out of his ears vs. being in control and making his pleas to the refs in a more controlled manner.

I coupled this with a somewhat tongue in cheek analogy about those posters getting upset at waiting in line at coffee shop - this hardly qualifies as a scathing critique, even for Woodbury, maybe Stillwater😀.

BTW - Deion says howdy 🤠
I get what you are saying but sadly the refs respond more to the wild complaining. Basketball more than the other sports is more about subjective officiating.

I get what you are saying but sadly the refs respond more to the wild complaining. Basketball more than the other sports is more about subjective officiating.
So in theory then wouldn't screaming at the ref and carrying on like a moron be counterproductive? Seems to me that would make them more likely to go against your team than for it.

Some coaches are hot heads, some aren't. Tough to say how much Johnson does or does not work the refs during the game but he definitely appears to stay calm for the most part during the game and doesn't draw a lot of attention to himself.

You see the hot heads on the TV broadcast more because it makes for good TV and the cameras are going to be on them when they are bursting a blood vessel yelling at the ref.

So in theory then wouldn't screaming at the ref and carrying on like a moron be counterproductive? Seems to me that would make them more likely to go against your team than for it.

Some coaches are hot heads, some aren't. Tough to say how much Johnson does or does not work the refs during the game but he definitely appears to stay calm for the most part during the game and doesn't draw a lot of attention to himself.

You see the hot heads on the TV broadcast more because it makes for good TV and the cameras are going to be on them when they are bursting a blood vessel yelling at the ref.
In theory I suppose it would, but in practice it doesn't seem to. The refs tend to even out fouls in almost every case. The coach goes crazy and if they are at home the fans follow that lead and start going crazy. The refs are human, so they call some makeup fouls to even out the fouls and free throws. Tim Donaghy, after he got caught said it was easy to influence games. By the rules there are fouls on every play, so you just pick and choose when to call them and he did it for years without getting caught.

Also, basketball isn't baseball, hockey or football where there is a physical distance between the refs and coaches. The Izzo's and McCaffery's of the world are inches away from the refs and are allowed to scream and get red faced up and down the court and then berate them during stoppage's in plays.

I wish it weren't that way and reasoned discussions of the rules and application of those rules won the day, but it just isn't the way basketball is.

I don't mean to belabor the point, but take for example the ACC tourney game with NCState and UNC. Kevin Keatts for NCSTATE was 3 feet onto the court WHILE the action was going on a few feet away from him. Hubert Davis for UNC was telling the refs to do something about it but they didn't the entire game. During the game, it even got to the point that RJ Davis was hitting threes with Keatts over his shoulder and Davis was turning around and trash talking him after he hit a shot.

I don't want Johnson to do stuff like that and act the fool, but the sad thing is that it hurts us that he doesn't. Remember when Clem would throw off his suit coat and stomp his feet like a child? Silly, but man did we get some calls our way after he did it...

I don't mean to belabor the point, but take for example the ACC tourney game with NCState and UNC. Kevin Keatts for NCSTATE was 3 feet onto the court WHILE the action was going on a few feet away from him. Hubert Davis for UNC was telling the refs to do something about it but they didn't the entire game. During the game, it even got to the point that RJ Davis was hitting threes with Keatts over his shoulder and Davis was turning around and trash talking him after he hit a shot.

I don't want Johnson to do stuff like that and act the fool, but the sad thing is that it hurts us that he doesn't.
Still not sure I really understand how you can be so certain that Johnson's demeanor on the court is hurting us with the refs. There are lots of really successful coaches that don't blow their top during the game.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind seeing Johnson be a bit more demonstrative during the game but that doesn't appear to be his style.

Good times 😎
Generally, like CBJ's demeanor on the floor vs Pitino's. Little Rickey acted like a child having a tantrum. CBJ saw Pitino's behavior and decided to do the opposite. Neither behavior won games for the gopher. Results/winning are from recruiting/managing transfers and coaching.

This I think is one of my bigger complaints with CBJ. So let me preface this, by all accounts CBJ seems like a great human, which in theory is awesome. However, in this level of sports, right or wrong, I think you have to be an a$$hole. I don't like watching Fran or Izzo gripe...but it works! I think this carries over into recruiting. I think CBJ makes his pitch and when the going gets tough he backs off. Again I'm not saying it's ideal but if you have to lie to a kid and say ohh for sure you're starting and leading us in shots to get them, well then that's what it takes. A lot of the best coaches are scum bag humans, and again I reiterate that sucks, but it's the profession. I wish CBJ would show emotion, yell a little, do something!
I might be the rare example, but I don't respond to that type of behavior at all. I respond to people who are able to stay composed and keep their cool while making their point. The more somebody starts to lose it in a tense situation, the less I pay attention to them. Yelling, screaming, throwing a tantrum shows a complete lack of emotional control and if one can't control themselves in a tough situation, why should I show them any respect or attention? "Talk to me when you can be rational and stable, otherwise, I'll just walk away from you until you've gotten a hold of yourself.".

Top Bottom