Does Ben Johnson have any defenders left?

Agree that players in most situations determine W/L's. If you're a high school coach that isn't allowed to recruit, then the coach is stuck with the available players. That doesn't mean the team can't be coached up. College coaches have to recruit though so they're responsible for the players on the team vs high school that depends on the players in the school district. CBJ is responsible for the players and coaching them to return wins.
Coached up? Great phrase. Yes you can improve some players game results, to a point. But there is a limit to that. If you have fair players and coach them up to decent, great. If you have decent players and coach them up to pretty good, great. And if you have pretty good players and coach them up to great players, wonderful. But in effect all these coaches doing this are accomplishing the same thing. The level you reach is very dependent on the natural skill level of the players themselves. Or as we said on the farm, "you can’t turn a sows ear into a silk purse"!

I coached a lot of baseball. I was always the same coach, but I always had better W/L records with better natural talent!

Yep. Return to original comment...Coach is responsible for the roster.
Good point. Needless to say there is nothing easier to control than a bunch of 20 yr olds with visions of sugar plums (and maybe a new car) dancing in their future! Ben should just sell them on the virtues of self restraint and convenience store roasted chicken!

We used to say in small town Minnesota, "You can't make chicken salad out of chicken shit!"
They LITERALLY expect miracles. Worship other coaches with great bought-and-paid-for players and demonize a coach who assembled a great-potential-unpaid team that got wiped-out.

I view NIL as another change in the game. Adapt or fail. Ben has not shown he can do any of this. If the argument is the U admin don’t understand NIL and therefore, have not supported CBJ, how come universities with worse financial situations in their athletic programs and more dysfunctional admin field better programs (e.g., U of A; WSU) than Minnesota? It’s simple: it’s CBJ.

I view NIL as another change in the game. Adapt or fail. Ben has not shown he can do any of this. If the argument is the U admin don’t understand NIL and therefore, have not supported CBJ, how come universities with worse financial situations in their athletic programs and more dysfunctional admin field better programs (e.g., U of A; WSU) than Minnesota? It’s simple: it’s CBJ.
It's simple.
It's Gopherhole and the Gopherassholes!

Hey, Johnson lost the talented kid to the NBA. Smart move by him. Of course go to the NBA.

So everyone is howling overwhelmed by the Hawkins NIL SHOCKER. NIL is the world of college basketball now.

Also, why is the football coach handling it fine? Why is the women's basketball coach handling it fine? Why is only poor Ben struggling this hard when they all have the same terrible bosses?

So you think CBJ is responsible for athletic programs other than basketball?

What is dysfunctional about these admins and their athletic programs?

You want us to take your word for this?

If you want to field a simple argument do so. Otherwise. It isn’t simple in your view, you’re just lazy, so that’s what you decided.

Heck you could even be right, but how do we know what your talking about unless you write it out?

Also, why is the football coach handling it fine? Why is the women's basketball coach handling it fine? Why is only poor Ben struggling this hard when they all have the same terrible bosses?

We do not know the end of the story yet.

NIL budget maybe is now free for other choices. We do not know.

Ok. If they went with what they have...

B
Ben has replaced four of the six deserters and he has four more months to replace the two (three if Christie leaves) others.
He isn't struggling.
The Portal just closed for new entries two days ago and now he knows no one else is leaving and he can now select and interview anyone left in the portal.

Are you referring to the Parker Fox story?
What opinions are available?
I dont understand.....

So you think CBJ is responsible for athletic programs other than basketball?

What is dysfunctional about these admins and their athletic programs?

You want us to take your word for this?

If you want to field a simple argument do so. Otherwise. It isn’t simple in your view, you’re just lazy, so that’s what you decided.

Heck you could even be right, but how do we know what your talking about unless you write it out?

U of A: https://wildcat.arizona.edu/154616/...ial,revenue enhancement to safeguard academic

WSU: https://mynorthwest.com/3951752/law...of-wsu-being-couged-by-former-pac-12-schools/

Both WSU and U of A made the tournament. Imagine being WSU coach, recruiting and coaching knowing that your team most likely won’t be in a power 5 conference. That’s a hell of a coaching job this year!

U of A: https://wildcat.arizona.edu/154616/sports/s-print-modernizing-athletics-operations/#:~:text=In response to a substantial,revenue enhancement to safeguard academic

WSU: https://mynorthwest.com/3951752/law...of-wsu-being-couged-by-former-pac-12-schools/

Both WSU and U of A made the tournament. Imagine being WSU coach, recruiting and coaching knowing that your team most likely won’t be in a power 5 conference. That’s a hell of a coaching job this year!
Might be the dumbest post in GH history comparing Minnesota basketball to Arizona basketball. Congratulations

My point is that CBJs poor roster creation is not all NIL related. WSUs coach had to deal with instability within WSU and likely, chaotic NiL situation and he still made the tourney. CBJ has no such challenges and has come up short.
Their situations are not comparable.
Eastern Washington is not in an urban area, has no professional teams in any sport and no nearby college rivals.
There are virtually NO similarities between the U of M and WSU.

Their situations are not comparable.
Eastern Washington is not in an urban area, has no professional teams in any sport and no nearby college rivals.
There are virtually NO similarities between the U of M and WSU.

You’re really arguing my point. Much harder to win at WSU than the U—especially since they lost a power 5 spot. CBJ with better resources can’t cut it.

You're doing it wrong. The way to be a true gopher fan is to suggest that our Big Ten program is somehow the most disadvantaged program facing the most unique challenge of any team in sports history.

If the best argument that can be made for a coach is "maybe it's not his fault that his record is so bad," that's a tough line to sell fans, donors, or recruits on.

You’re really arguing my point. Much harder to win at WSU than the U—especially since they lost a power 5 spot. CBJ with better resources can’t cut it.
I guess I am saying that it is easier to recruit local kids at WSU.
No competition really.
Idaho, Idaho State, Montana, Eastern Oregon are not competitive with WSU.
Other Pac12 schools are a long distance away.
Maybe I'm wrong.
Just my impression.

Top Bottom