Does Anyone Miss The Dome?

I love Paul Giel and everything he did as a player and AD for Minnesota, but even he must be shaking his head wondering why the team ever let the team leave campus. TCF Bank stadium is the best. I love it.

So this is my honest opinion, I miss it for Twins baseball, it offered us one of the biggest home field advantages in the league that no other stadium had,really loud environment, a white roof, odd dimensions, that Target Field doesn't have. But for football i don't think anybody misses it.

You have issues, and need professional help.

Coolew01 - I miss the dome for the simple fact the teams were better under Mason than the past few years. Hopefully we can at least get back to mediocrity. Other than that, I don't miss that dump at all.

Freaky Deke - Yeah, mediocre 10 win seasons are the worst.

Gold Vision - Seasons as in one?

Freaky Deke - Yes 1. But not none.

Exhibit A why the Gophers haven't come close to a Big 10 Championship since 1967.

Go4Broke said:
Exhibit A why the Gophers haven't come close to a Big 10 Championship since 1967.

You mean except for 2003?

I also miss the student tailgating opportunities. THat was always a huge party. YOu would grab a case on campus, take the bus over, and party it up in the lots. Everyone had flippy cup going, all the students were there. Was a lot of fun.

+ 1,000,000.

I cannot say enough how much the U has f'ed up the atmoshpere for students. From the pricy tailgate lots to trying to make a Gophers gameday as completely an anti-vikings party atmoshpere as possible. (Not saying I want it to turn into a Vikes style pre-game party with incredibly drunk people, just a happy medium in between the two.)

Thank goodness for Sally's and Stub & Herb's (if you are of age of course.) Also, shout out to the Jerry Killwagon for doing there best as well! They are always there to party! :clap:

The only thing I miss is the cheap alternatives to tailgating for people who can't afford a $2000 or $1000 tailgating pass. I know it wasn't great tailgating atmosphere, but at least there were cheap options.

Other than that, the dome was absolutely awful to enjoy a game in.

+1

The Gophers did come close a couple times, in 1999, the Gophers lost by a field goal in OT against Wisconsin. Had the Gophers won that game, they would have finished 6-2 and been in a three-way tie for first. In 2003, had the Gophers hung on to beat Michigan, the Gophers would have been 6-2, and been in a 4-day tie for first.

Of course, they didn't win either of those games. A 5-3 Big Ten season is the best we have had since 1973, when the Gophers were 6-2 in the Big Ten, but it isn't exactly the stuff of legends, or at least it shouldn't be.

The only thing I miss is the cheap alternatives to tailgating for people who can't afford a $2000 or $1000 tailgating pass. I know it wasn't great tailgating atmosphere, but at least there were cheap options.

Other than that, the dome was absolutely awful to enjoy a game in.

Agree. I don't mind the St. Paul lot but it isn't even in the ball park. In the Dome for $200 a year or so you could get into one of the GLC lots (behind Matty B's). That was awesome! The great part about it was it was all serious fans who were all there to tailgate and have a great time. And no ridiculous rules like they have at the U of M lots. At St. Paul at least half people just park and head over to campus. There is no atmosphere. And heaven forbid I might want to do lunch there before a 7:00 game.

Outside of that the Dome was awful. When I left the Iowa game I just shook my head and said at least I'll never have to go back for Gopher football. And that was a good thing!

You mean except for 2003?

2003 Big Ten Football Standings

Team W L

#6/7 Michigan-------------- 7 – 1
#4/4 Ohio State------------6 – 2
#18/19 Purdue-------------6 – 2
#8/8 Iowa-------------------5 – 3
#20/17 Minnesota-------- 5 – 3
Michigan State------------- 5 – 3
Wisconsin------------------- 4 – 4
Northwestern-------------- 4 – 4
Penn State------------------0 – 7
Indiana----------------------1 – 7
Illinois------------------------0 – 8
† – BCS representative as champion
‡ – BCS at-large representative
Rankings from AP Poll / Coaches' Poll

2003 Big Ten football standings

v
t
e

Conf Overall

Team W L W L

#6/7 Michigan-------------- 7 – 1 10 – 3
#4/4 Ohio State------------6 – 2 11 – 2
#18/19 Purdue-------------6 – 2 9 – 4
#8/8 Iowa-------------------5 – 3 10 – 3
#20/17 Minnesota-------- 5 – 3 10 – 3
Michigan State------------- 5 – 3 8 – 5
Wisconsin------------------- 4 – 4 7 – 6
Northwestern-------------- 4 – 4 6 – 7
Penn State------------------0 – 7 0 – 9
Indiana 1 – 7 2 – 10
Illinois 0 – 8 1 – 11
† – BCS representative as champion
‡ – BCS at-large representative
Rankings from AP Poll / Coaches' Poll

If Minnesota holds on against Michigan - and every other game goes the same - Minnesota goes to the Rose Bowl in a four-way tie at the top by virtue of being the team with the longest Rose Bowl drought (which I believe was the tiebreaker at the time). Give up 27 points in the 4th quarter instead of 31, and they're in Pasadena. It's fair to say they weren't close most of the time, but 2003 was pretty much as close as it gets.

The Gophers will never contend for a Big 10 Championship until Gopher fans stop longing for the days when we were kicking the ass of the likes of Bowling Green and Louisiana Tech in exhibition games, and then going 3 - 5 in the Big 10 to qualify for a bowl game that is only watched by fans of the participating teams.

The Gophers will never contend for a Big 10 Championship until Gopher fans stop longing for the days when we were kicking the ass of the likes of Bowling Green and Louisiana Tech in exhibition games, and then going 3 - 5 in the Big 10 to qualify for a bowl game that is only watched by fans of the participating teams.

Considering it's our most success in 40 years, it's not surprising that people pine for those days (particularly when we're in the days of losing to SD and NMSU, and then going 2-6 in the Big 10 to miss a bowl game entirely). While we undoubtedly yearn for days of national championships, we're so far removed from that era as to make it nothing but a history lesson for the vast majority of fans.

IMO, the Gophers will never contend for a Big 10 Championship if the administration (athletic and overall) ever longs for the days of 6-6 (3-5). There cannot be a commitment to mediocrity from their end - if so, the fans will never get turned around. But I think that's the end it has to start from, not the fans.

Go4Broke said:

Fans only control showing up, being loud, and donating money. I long for games like Michigan 2003, except we win and go to the Rose Bowl. What do you think denying that accomplishes?

Top Bottom