Does anyone have Dish Network ?

Blizzard

Reaction score
I was thinking about getting rid of Comcast and going with a dish. Dish Network has a fairly good deal.

Feedback ?

Problems ?

I switched from Comcast to Dish Network almost exactly a year ago. At that time getting access to Big Ten Network was the major attraction, but there were other advantages as well. I'm saving some money, I love the DVR feature and the ability to replay immediately even if not recording, and picture-in-picture is nice. I have the NFL network for every-other-year "Out of Sight Bowl" coverage.

Problems? I've been surprised at how little inclement weather it takes to knock out the signal, usually just for a short time but still annoying. I was expecting trouble if heavy snow covered the dish, but sometimes just a light rain will do it. I'm probably forgetting how often that happened with the comcast signal as well.

My family thinks I'm crazy, but I'm surprised at how much I miss watching local (Anoka) city council hearings on local cable access channel.

I was thinking about getting rid of Comcast and going with a dish. Dish Network has a fairly good deal.

I went with Dish back when the BTN first came out and have not been disappointed. Not sure I'll ever go back to cable. Everyone has their own experiences, so some might disagree with me on this, but here's my personal experience/opinion on Dish:

Pros: customer service, more channels for less $$$, HD offerings are good, dual tuner allows two TVs to run off of one receiver, DVR is excellent, don't have to deal with the cable company, I think Dish offers a better picture than cable

Cons: occasional outage during rainstorms, no NFL Sunday Ticket, no MLB Extra Innings Package, no NASCAR Hot Pass (all Direct TV offerings), no local access channels for city council meetings, high school football, etc., not enamored with having an ugly gray dish on the side of my house

I might add, they must be spending a fortune on sponsoring Gopher sports. You can't go anywhere without hearing/seeing Dish commercials specific to the Gophers. They even have Tubby doing a commercial for them.

I've got Dish Network too. I've had really good signal with my dish, I've only had it go out due to weather maybe 3 or 4 times in the past year and a half. The non-HD tuner seems to hold the signal better than my HD one during inclement weather.

Overall I am pretty happy with it.

DirecTV?

I have not compared Dish Network with DirecTV recently, but when I moved to satellite several years ago, DirecTV had better sports packages, but was slightly higher priced.

I have been very satisfied with DirecTV.

Just a quick comment about weather related issues....This past Sunday during the height of the blizzard where for a period of 20-30 minutes (north of Alexandria) I could barely see the house across the street, my DirecTV signal never dropped. My HD-dish was replaced (at no charge) this past summer with the newest model... The tech said that the dropout issues are reduced significantly with this new design. I think it's true.....

Blizzard,

IMO, you'd likely prefer DirecTV to Dish Network.

I switched to Dish from Comcast about earlier this summer, my experiences are about the same.

- It's been nice not having to deal with Comcast anymore, their customer service was always bad.
- I did have a bad experience with Dish in my installation. Their corporate support and local installers were not on the same page, and because of the my installation was delayed several times. But since then, my support has been good.
- More value for your buck with the Dish. The price for Dual-TV receivers, DVR & more channels with Dish is better than Comcast.
- My signal has gone out during Thunderstorms as well, but like others have said it's not like your cable signal never goes out either. Overall I'd say it's been around the same as far as outage time.

Poor reception in any kind of inclement weather...I've caught billing mistakes at least 3 time in the past year. Those are my only complaints.

Blizzard,

IMO, you'd likely prefer DirecTV to Dish Network.

I would agree with you G4L. I have had all 3 services. I prefer DirecTV over Dish because of all the Extra packages that you can't get with Dish. I don't see ever going back to Dish as I had more outages/tech issues with them than I do with DirecTV and since I got my new HD receiver in August my satellite has not gone out once.

I will never go back to cable, ever!

I have Directv currently and have had very few complaints. It seems like the only weather that gives my dish problems is when there is a severe thunderstorm coming from the southwest and on rare occassions heavy, heavy rain or snow. But that's rare and it usually works itself out in 5 or 10 minutes. It seems to me, for a person into sports, Directv has the better packages, but I not completely sure what Dish has to offer anymore.

I love my cable company, it's too bad they don't have it in Minnesota!

I've had the Big Ten Network since its inception, ESPNU, The NFL Network and ESPN360!

Top Bottom