Does anyone else remember this moment...?

Golden Goofer

Reaction score
Early in the 2006-07 basketball season under Dan Monson, the Gophers started 2-0 after two cupcake wins. Then, after leading most of the second half vs. Iowa State at home, the Gophs melted down and gave the game away. Losses ensued over the next three games to Marist, Southern Illinois, and Montana leading up to the Big Ten / ACC challenge game at home vs. Clemson.

We hung around with Clemson for most of the first half before they began to press. Clemson dominated the rest of the game outnumbering us in FG attempts (71 to 50), total rebounds (39 to 16), and offensive rebounds (21 to an embarrassing 3).

From the 5:28 mark to the 1:53 mark, Clemson went on a 10-0 run to take a 23-point lead. Most of the fans left during that stretch leaving only a few thousand people in the arena when a TV timeout occurred. Monson looked clueless, pathetic and depressed. The bags under his eyes were as big as I have ever seen them and the shiner he inexplicably got during the previous weekend's tournament didn't totally go away yet.

It was the quietest I have ever heard The Barn. Just before the final minute or so was about to resume, one could almost literally hear a pin drop. Then someone near the student section belted out "FIRE MONSON!!!" I heard it from the other side of the arena and I would be shocked if most of the couple of thousand left (including Monson himself) did not hear someone shout "Fire Monson!"

I'm just wondering if anyone else was there and remembers that moment. Monson was out as head coach less than 24 hours later.

Go Gophers!!

It was the quietest I have ever heard The Barn. Just before the final minute or so was about to resume, one could almost literally hear a pin drop. Then someone near the student section belted out "FIRE MONSON!!!" I heard it from the other side of the arena and I would be shocked if most of the couple of thousand left (including Monson himself) did not hear someone shout "Fire Monson!"

I'm just wondering if anyone else was there and remembers that moment. Monson was out as head coach less than 24 hours later.

I was there. I remember it just as you do. At game time I think there were 12 students there (2 for one tix at the time, so 6 paid at like $6 each). They had all left by halftime. I never, ever leave a game early, so was one of the proud to see the Monson era go down the tunnel and leave the state forever in person.

The display that day by the boys was incredible. Three weeks into the season and they were already quitting. I told my wife as we walked out that we were not renewing our tickets unless Monson is gone. I had given him a looooong leash. About 47000x longer than the leash Gopher4Life gave him. Much as I hate to admit it, G4L had Monson pegged. At least for Minnesota. He was not a fit and by the end it was clear he was overmatched and it was not going to turn around.

Maturi has taken a lot of heat on this board lately. But he saw the same things we saw - and yes, not as quickly as G4L. But he saw them and he acted, finally, but midseason. Early season. He ended it. I will give him credit for that, even though others - me included - thought it was a year (or rather half a dozen games) late.

Remember the most awkward announcement in Gopher sports history where Maturi announced, with Monson at his side, that Monson was being retained? Sheesh.

the clemson game was by far the worst gopher basketball game that i have ever seen. never been so embarrassed for the team in my life.

I"m pretty sure that Molinari was the one who yelled "Fire Monson".

Horrible night. I stayed for the duration, but don't remember the hollering in the hall. We are too far up. We knew it was done but did not think it would happen in 24 hours.

The best thing about being there is that it could not get any worse, and it didn't. As much as I am disappointed by this season, flashbacks to Clemson force me to count my blessings.

One of the lost things about that game is that Brandon Smith probably had his best game as a Gopher, and actually demonstrated he had potential. That didn't turn out well, either.

Top Bottom