• No

Votes: 20 42.6%
  • Depends on if the big ten can get 2-3 team in the playoff

Votes: 11 23.4%

• Total voters

Some guy

Reaction score
Interesting question.
Let’s say the team goes 10-2 with losses to Ohio state and Michigan and then beats them in a rematch in Indianapolis.

Do you think 11-2 Minnesota goes to a playoff ahead of a 12-1 Michigan/Ohio state and an 11-1 Michigan Ohio state

If they beat what I would presume a top 4 Michigan or OSU in the title game then yes, there's no way a 10 win B10 champ with our schedule and beating one of those two in the end doesn't make it.

The 2016 season is probably instructive on this point (with respect to what would happen, not what should).

Maybe? You’d have wins over UNC, Michigan St, tOSU or Michigan, Nebraska, Illinois, wisco, Iowa…you’d be ranked like 5-9 before the B1G title game. You’d leap frog the east champion. Who else though? A few cupcakes, some bad conference teams don’t really move the needle. Plus the perception of “it’s Minnesota”

I voted no because Minnesota will not lose 1 game, let alone 2 games................
oh-hell-yeah-wrestling.gif

The B1G playoff champ automatically makes it in. No discussion.

The B1G playoff champ automatically makes it in. No discussion.
I think that’s going to be true starting in 2024
But not this year.

Ohio state has missed the playoff as a big ten champ
Penn state has missed the playoff as a big ten champ

No power 5 1 loss champ has ever missed for a 2 loss team
No power 5 1 loss champ has ever missed for an unbeaten G5 team.
This would be neither of those two situations though

If we beat NC and they go on to win the ACC with 2 losses. If we play the OSU and MI games tight and if one of Alabama or Georgia ends up with 3 losses then there is a chance. Even at 10-2 I still think we would be closer to a top 10 (7-9) ranking vs top 5, so our B1G Championship win would have to be a dominating performance. So yes there is a chance, but so many things would need to go right.

If we beat NC and they go on to win the ACC with 2 losses. If we play the OSU and MI games tight and if one of Alabama or Georgia ends up with 3 losses then there is a chance. Even at 10-2 I still think we would be closer to a top 10 (7-9) ranking vs top 5, so our B1G Championship win would have to be a dominating performance. So yes there is a chance, but so many things would need to go right.
I think making the playoff in that situation would definitely depend a lot on other conferences. I am more wondering who goes in what order of these three teams:

11-1 Ohio state - lost to Michigan, beat Minnesota
12-1 Michigan - beat Ohio state and Minnesota, lost to Minnesota in big ten title game
11-2 Minnesota - big ten champ, lost to Michigan and Ohio state, beat Michigan

Considering no 2 loss team has ever made the CFP, I don't see the Gophers being the one to change that.

It's a good question because it is a just over the line to qualify thing, in my mind. I'm a little more nervous about how deep we would go just because it is uncharted territory.

Considering no 2 loss team has ever made the CFP, I don't see the Gophers being the one to change that.
Yeah I don’t think gophers go unless big ten has multiple teams. Which would mean 2 loss conference champs from multiple p5 conferences and probably no 1 loss non conference champ SEC teams

Top Bottom