Dodd: With Big Ten, SEC poised to dominate College Football Playoff bids, NIT-like tournament could offer solution

I may be getting old and turning into my dad (which is a good thing), but Im not a fan of the CFP.

Id much rather go back to conference designated bowl games and the coaches poll. Part of the fun and what made CFB unique was the arguing about who should be the national champion. Ive said it before - this is entertainment.

Even with $$$ to players, I find it hard to believe players are going to stick around for 3-4 more games and not transfer.

This is why the portal dates need to change.

As a sidenote, I don't know that this should be done until the NCAA deals with the problem of players opting out. Nobody should watch extra games to not see the best players.
There is like nothing the NCAA can do about that. Force a player to play??? Sure, you could say something like, "if you opt out of a bowl game, you can't enter the portal or whatever" - along those lines. And guess what, instead of "opt-outs" you'd have a bunch of players with "soft tissue injuries" or "concussion protocol" and they wouldn't play anyways.

Face reality - there's not going to be a way to get players to play in irrelevant bowl games when they're already interested in moving on to a new team.

Just the comparison of saying "NIT-like" has me thinking hard pass. The NIT itself lacks relevance.

Playing 1 exhibition is bad enough, I can't see any appetite for teams to want to play multiple such contests in Dec-Jan.

Schools make a big deal of making the NCAA Tournament in basketball. They'd make a bigger deal of making the NCAA NIT Football playoffs. You need 85 guys working together to get there.
What about the P4 teams that are "helmet" schools that have a bad year and "fall back" into this tourney? You think they'd care? And they'd probably win it lol.

I may be getting old and turning into my dad (which is a good thing), but Im not a fan of the CFP.

Id much rather go back to conference designated bowl games and the coaches poll. Part of the fun and what made CFB unique was the arguing about who should be the national champion. Ive said it before - this is entertainment.
+10000000000

Even with $$$ to players, I find it hard to believe players are going to stick around for 3-4 more games and not transfer.

The date doesn't matter. What matters is that the Monday after the first weekend in December is when the players will go on social media and announce they are entering the portal when they are allowed to, even if that's not til February lol.

That's what it should be, but then it probably couldn't get enough interest to even get games on TV or for anyone to sponsor it. That's probably the whole problem.

Some G5 have been talking about a G5 tournament forever. Has never happened, for such reasons. Guess they need P5 teams to get enough interest.

I agree. I think it would be great for the G5 to have a tournament. Hell I would be more likely to watch that than the CFP which I have zero interest in.

Honestly the NIT Tourny deal could work if you did it in the vein of English Futbol...but you would have to guarantee to keep rivalry games or relegation won't work.

College Football has been trying to put a square peg in a round hole since the advent of the BCS and now I am not sure there is any plan that will satisfy people because of how ridiculously top heavy it has become. The last 20 years took the flaws of the system and gave them steroids. And they have added a tournament that will keep out the have nots (something the basketball tourny thrives on) meaning half of even the P4 is irrelevant.

The date doesn't matter. What matters is that the Monday after the first weekend in December is when the players will go on social media and announce they are entering the portal when they are allowed to, even if that's not til February lol.
Some kids played in bowls even though they were in the portal. Maybe there can be more of those situations.

Changing the date wont make a difference. They will still tell their team long before that and sit out to avoid injury. People were entering the portal during the friggin season even though it wasn't open. Unless you create a penalty for it (which they can't) you are just rearranging chairs on the Titanic.

Some kids played in bowls even though they were in the portal. Maybe there can be more of those situations.
How does changing the date do that? If Player A wants to play he can wait to announce until after the bowl game now...they dont have to opt out. Players will still announce before meaningless bowl games because they dont want to risk injury before they have a shot to transfer.

Short of penalization for opting out (which again is never going to happen nor should it) players will announce before the bowl game because there is nothing that stops them from doing so.

How does changing the date do that? If Player A wants to play he can wait to announce until after the bowl game now...they dont have to opt out. Players will still announce before meaningless bowl games because they dont want to risk injury before they have a shot to transfer.

Short of penalization for opting out (which again is never going to happen nor should it) players will announce before the bowl game because there is nothing that stops them from doing so.
I was responding to your comment that the date change doesn't matter, with another solution or scenario where kids might stay an play. And this is all in reference to an NIT type tournament where players are paid to play and not the normal bowl situation. I'm not disagreeing with you.

So then we don't need to change the date??? Now you're just relying on more kids being like the "some" that played this year?

I was responding to your comment that the date change doesn't matter

But in your response you avoided the date change altogether and brought up a side issue. And now when asked about it....

I'm not disagreeing with you.
No, you're just throwing out an idea, and when it gets questioned, you just throw out a new one. Certainly not disagreeing, but you're not backing up your statements either.

But in your response you avoided the date change altogether and brought up a side issue. And now when asked about it....

No, you're just throwing out an idea, and when it gets questioned, you just throw out a new one. Certainly not disagreeing, but you're not backing up your statements either.
I had two responders and thought it was the same person, my bad. I agree that guys are going to continue to leave right away without incentive to play. A better calendar is going to be needed for the portal and i don't know the solution. I do like the idea of a Tier 2 tournament with some bowls being utilized.

Another $$$ grab would be to allow a Spring Game as an actual game. With the portal and early enrollees, teams should have enough players on the roster to play an actual spring game against a non-conference opponent. Hell have it be a home and home two year deal with $$$ going to the players.

FOOTBALL FOOTBALL FOOTBALL more FOOTBALL!

There is like nothing the NCAA can do about that. Force a player to play??? Sure, you could say something like, "if you opt out of a bowl game, you can't enter the portal or whatever" - along those lines. And guess what, instead of "opt-outs" you'd have a bunch of players with "soft tissue injuries" or "concussion protocol" and they wouldn't play anyways.

Face reality - there's not going to be a way to get players to play in irrelevant bowl games when they're already interested in moving on to a new team.
Then at that point, why even have a tournament? Nobody wants to see Florida State or 4th String getting killed in extra games. Nobody should have to pay to watch that and certainly players shouldnt get compensated for it.

What about the P4 teams that are "helmet" schools that have a bad year and "fall back" into this tourney? You think they'd care? And they'd probably win it lol.
That bad year likely still needs 10 wins...9 for sure.

Then at that point, why even have a tournament? Nobody wants to see Florida State or 4th String getting killed in extra games. Nobody should have to pay to watch that and certainly players shouldnt get compensated for it.
Answering that question is kinda the point where we are at now. The playoff, and soon-to-be expanded playoff, is (as predicted) taking steam out of the other bowl games.

That bad year likely still needs 10 wins...9 for sure.
Which would be a "bad" year if you enter each season with National Championship hopes. So you didn't answer my question - do you think those helmet schools would care about winning it? Would they make a big deal about it? More importantly, would fans of a G5 team even get excited if their first game was likely a beatdown from a helmet school that just missed the real CFP?

Again, you can't make chicken salad from chicken excrement. And when you have the best teams playing in a different "tournament" and the other teams losing players to opt-outs, what you're left with is chicken excrement. Look at it from every possible angle if you wish, but it still is what it is.

Current system is 6 and 6 which would be P4 and 2 G5 conference champs for 2024. It's likely to get voted and changed to 5 and 7, but hasn't happened yet.

Hypothetically with no Pac 12 it could look like this with two G5 teams.

Michigan B1G
Alabama SEC
Florida State ACC
Arizona Big 12

Liberty
SMU

Washington
Texas
Georgia
Ohio State
Oregon
Missouri

Penn State/Ole Miss would be out.

Which would be a "bad" year if you enter each season with National Championship hopes. So you didn't answer my question - do you think those helmet schools would care about winning it? Would they make a big deal about it? More importantly, would fans of a G5 team even get excited if their first game was likely a beatdown from a helmet school that just missed the real CFP?

Again, you can't make chicken salad from chicken excrement. And when you have the best teams playing in a different "tournament" and the other teams losing players to opt-outs, what you're left with is chicken excrement. Look at it from every possible angle if you wish, but it still is what it is.
I think in the first couple years there may be some people like yourself slow to warm up to the change. But I do think it could establish itself as legit.
The same 10 schools compete for the National title in football every year. Most of them will be in the top 12 or only win 8 games.
That next group of schools I believe would embrace the NIT. 2019...I doubt we make the top 12.
Would we have been fired up to win the NIT? After beating Auburn we moved to 10th in the AP.
Everybody would still have a chance for their once every 25 years Top 12 finish. Good for everybody.

Current system is 6 and 6 which would be P4 and 2 G5 conference champs for 2024. It's likely to get voted and changed to 5 and 7, but hasn't happened yet.

Hypothetically with no Pac 12 it could look like this with two G5 teams.

Michigan B1G
Alabama SEC
Florida State ACC
Arizona Big 12

Liberty
SMU

Washington
Texas
Georgia
Ohio State
Oregon
Missouri

Penn State/Ole Miss would be out.
I personally would prefer Liberty and SMU to Penn State and Ole Miss

I think in the first couple years there may be some people like yourself slow to warm up to the change. But I do think it could establish itself as legit.
The same 10 schools compete for the National title in football every year. Most of them will be in the top 12 or only win 8 games.
That next group of schools I believe would embrace the NIT. 2019...I doubt we make the top 12.
Would we have been fired up to win the NIT? After beating Auburn we moved to 10th in the AP.
Everybody would still have a chance for their once every 25 years Top 12 finish. Good for everybody.
So you quote my post, you don't answer the question I asked you in said post, then you avoid talking about the point I was bringing up.

You do you, I guess.

So you quote my post, you don't answer the question I asked you in said post, then you avoid talking about the point I was bringing up.

You do you, I guess.
This was my answer:
These were your questions:
1. Do you think the helmet schools would care about winning it? See bolded part above

3. Would fans get excited to play a big name school for a likely beatdown? Were we excited to play Auburn? 2nd bolded part

2. Would they make a big deal about it? If they won for certain...otherwise no. I said this in an earlier post...
They'd make a bigger deal of making the NCAA NIT Football playoffs. (Than the field of 68 in basketball) You need 85 guys working together to get there.

Im hoping 45-50 schools break away and allow unlimited NIL money.

Let the Gophers be one of the top schools in the next tier below that. Allow limited NIL money.
We aren't going to keep up with the unlimited money schools and Im okay with that

Top Bottom