Dodd: With Big Ten, SEC poised to dominate College Football Playoff bids, NIT-like tournament could offer solution

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Dodd:

At least for the next two seasons, one of those spots is guaranteed to the highest-ranked Group of Five champion. This season, the only 12-team playoff bids taken by teams other than those in the Big Ten and SEC would have gone to Florida State and Liberty.

"That scares me," said Frazier, now entering his 12th year at NIU.

That's where his idea takes shape. For those marginalized teams, he is proposing a sort-of college football NIT -- a tournament featuring the best of the rest, including schools in both the Power Four and Group of Five. The details are sketchy, but Frazier sees it as a way to keep the bowls from becoming what they have resembled at times this postseason: a series of hastily arranged spring games amid opt outs for NFL Draft preparation and the transfer portal.

A chance to pay players and to play for something, Frazier contends, would keep them around. It has long been speculated that bowls could eventually compensate players for their participation. Frazier has taken it a step further with an entire playoff based on that premise. The CFP has yet to address that possibility.

Go Gophers!!

I actually like the idea.

top 12 teams (with 1 G5 representative) go into the CFP playoffs.

then the next 12 or 16 teams go into the "Group B" tournament. maybe set it up so that at least 4 of the 12 or 6 of the 16 come from G5 leagues. incorporate the tournament with the existing bowl games and add some financial incentives for participation.

gives fans more of a reason to watch the bowl games and gives players more reason for playing - instead of opting out or hitting the portal. and you take 11 or 15 of the lower-tier bowl games and turn them into something with at least a little meaning.

I like it too. Good out of the box thinking that could resolve a lot of issues.

It would be fun, but I really hope these kids get paid for all the extra games they are playing including in the new, expanded playoff. They are increasing their risk of injury and probably hurting their grades. Most of them will not be pros.

I actually like the idea.

top 12 teams (with 1 G5 representative) go into the CFP playoffs.

then the next 12 or 16 teams go into the "Group B" tournament. maybe set it up so that at least 4 of the 12 or 6 of the 16 come from G5 leagues. incorporate the tournament with the existing bowl games and add some financial incentives for participation.

gives fans more of a reason to watch the bowl games and gives players more reason for playing - instead of opting out or hitting the portal. and you take 11 or 15 of the lower-tier bowl games and turn them into something with at least a little meaning.
Agree! But wonder why there is a focus on '4 of 12', '6 of 16'

Nobody in the basketball version of the NIT gives a shit about playing in it anymore. I can’t believe football players would want to put their bodies on the line for another 3-4 games to try to win a second-rate tournament.
I mean, FCS guys try pretty hard.

There would be about as much money and TV viewership for this "NIT" tourny as there is the FCS tournament.

Agree! But wonder why there is a focus on '4 of 12', '6 of 16'

that's just me spit-balling. the idea is that if you guarantee the G5 schools a certain number of spots, that would make the G5 conferences more willing to buy in on the idea - similar to the NCAA hoops tournament or NIT where the mid-major conferences have a certain number of guaranteed spots.

the number certainly could be adjusted. instead of 1/3 of the teams being G5, it could be 1/4. with the CFP being dominated by the big 2 conferences, I thought the "group B" event would have more appeal if it had teams from a wider cross-section of conferences.

hey - this is a real long shot to ever happen. I'm just brainstorming on how it could work.

It would be fun, but I really hope these kids get paid for all the extra games they are playing including in the new, expanded playoff. They are increasing their risk of injury and probably hurting their grades. Most of them will not be pros.
How many college football players ever gave up a game for fear it would hurt their grades?

Nobody in the basketball version of the NIT gives a shit about playing in it anymore. I can’t believe football players would want to put their bodies on the line for another 3-4 games to try to win a second-rate tournament.
Couldn’t be more wrong.

Non playoff conference champs make it.
Non playoff teams with 10+ wins teams auto bid
Then the next X teams to fill out the bracket.

This year:
Playoff:
Michigan - Big 10
Washington - pac 12
Texas - big 12
Alabama - SEC
Florida State - ACC
Liberty - Conf UsA
Georgia - at large
Ohio state - at large
Oregon - at large
Missouri - at large
Penn state - at large
ole miss - at large

NIT
SMU - American
Miami Oh - Mac
Boise State - mountain West
Troy - sun belt
Tulane - 11 wins
New Mexico State - 10 wins
Toledo - 11 wins
James Madison - 11 wins
Oklahoma - 10 wins
Louisville - 10 wins
Iowa - 10 wins
LSU - at large

Or you could say 11 wins instead of 10 nd you get rid of New Mexico State and Iowa and replace them with Arizona and Notre dame

Or you could say just say conference champs
Would then get rid of Tulane nd James Madison

Last edited:

Why would this keep players from opting out or waiting to enter the portal?
Because they would get paid is the assumption...in addition to competing for a National Title...the ring.

Once upon a time, this was the arguement (an expanded tournament) that the NCAA used to NOT have any kind of playoff system - the length of the season. That said, I like the idea and it could be done in a way with the bowl games to give the some extra relevancy. As a sidenote, I don't know that this should be done until the NCAA deals with the problem of players opting out. Nobody should watch extra games to not see the best players.

Because they would get paid is the assumption...in addition to competing for a National Title...the ring.
They’re already getting paid, I don’t see why they would make more money to participate in a post season tournament vs a bowl game. And I don’t see players risking much for a chance at winning a consolation tournament. I think we’ll still see plenty of players opt out of the main tournament.

I highly doubt they get bonuses...I'm sure the pay stays the same. And give me a break that anyone woukd care about a consolation ring.

I think the G5 would love this...players on P5 schools would still opt out like they do now.

I tend to agree. Keep the bowl games for the non-CFP schools. They're a fun reward for a winning season, but there's likely going to be players holding out of playing a second tier tournament so it's probably pointless.

How many college football players ever gave up a game for fear it would hurt their grades?
Also, the number of games may be an issue from an injury perspective, but shouldn't be for a grade perspective. Even a team that plays every game in the new tournament will play about half as many games as most NCAA sports. I don't see why 15 football games would hurt your grades more than 25-30+ games in any other sport.

I highly doubt they get bonuses...I'm sure the pay stays the same. And give me a break that anyone woukd care about a consolation ring.

I think the G5 would love this...players on P5 schools would still opt out like they do now.
It doesn't exist...it's a proposal. For it to work and be anticipated by players they need an additional paycheck in these times.
Do FCS guys scoff at the ring? Do Class A High School Teams scoff at the rings? It would be a title below the TOP 12 teams. Still a championship and the only one Minnesota could realistically win...so over time I believe schools would absolutely respect and go all out to compete for the title.

Not all schools can start the season like Alabama, Georgia, Michigan, Ohio State, LSU, etc with realistic dreams of a National title.
Schools know their level. It would not be an easy thing to do...to win the NIT Football title.
Still only 12-16 more schools even get to participate. You are still one of the TOP 25 teams in the country.
Disagree with you, it would absolutely become a big deal. Basketball, which is very different...you only need a couple really good players to reach the NCAA field of 68. Small schools can compete. Schools make a big deal of making the NCAA Tournament in basketball. They'd make a bigger deal of making the NCAA NIT Football playoffs. You need 85 guys working together to get there.

That's because the FCS schools are playing for a national championship, not a consolation trophy.
JV national championship?

I mean, players can always convince themselves of whatever they want.

Why can't this thing be the G5 national championship?

It doesn't exist...it's a proposal. For it to work and be anticipated by players they need an additional paycheck in these times.
Do FCS guys scoff at the ring? Do Class A High School Teams scoff at the rings? It would be a title below the TOP 12 teams. Still a championship and the only one Minnesota could realistically win...so over time I believe schools would absolutely respect and go all out to compete for the title.

Not all schools can start the season like Alabama, Georgia, Michigan, Ohio State, LSU, etc with realistic dreams of a National title.
Schools know their level. It would not be an easy thing to do...to win the NIT Football title.
Still only 12-16 more schools even get to participate. You are still one of the TOP 25 teams in the country.
Disagree with you, it would absolutely become a big deal. Basketball, which is very different...you only need a couple really good players to reach the NCAA field of 68. Small schools can compete. Schools make a big deal of making the NCAA Tournament in basketball. They'd make a bigger deal of making the NCAA NIT Football playoffs. You need 85 guys working together to get there.
Jesus you are all over the place with the bad takes on this one.

First of all...what paycheck? NIL doesn't work that way as far as we know. They are not employees of the collective they don't get paid on a game by game basis. Maybe they could work out that deal but I just don't see a lot of NIL groups paying extra money for a consolation tournament.

Second FCS isn't a consolation tournament...its a friggin National Title. (a lower ranked one but still you are the FCS National Champ) Talk about apples and oranges. If you want to have the P5 make their own title and the G5 have one sure then you have a point. But sorry I don't think anyone will care about the College Football NIT from any P5 school. I doubt many seniors will play in the games if they have any NFL aspirations and portal transfers will still happen since second rate bowl games can't keep people around why would a second rate tournament? You seem to think this will be considered a second national title title...yet no one who wins the Bball NIT says "we were national champs!!!". You are NIT Champs.

High school comparisons is so off base it isn't even worth discussing. Good lord...this isn't making new classes (that is FCS vs CFP) this is like when the Hockey Tournament made their second tournament (before splitting divisions) and no one took it seriously. You are running a consolation tournament not a new parallel championship.

The system sucks and I agree something needs to be done to make it so the games outside the CFP games matter. I am all for innovative and cool ideas, but this is not one of them. There will be no pride behind this mock tournament, and the risk/reward factor will never be there. Players opt out of New Years Day bowls currently, what makes you think that will change if they are playing in lesser bowls in a second rung tournament?

JV national championship?

I mean, players can always convince themselves of whatever they want.

Why can't this thing be the G5 national championship?
It could, if only G5 teams are in it. If P5 teams can enter then it is just the NIT.

Second FCS isn't a consolation tournament...its a friggin National Title. (a lower ranked one but still you are the FCS National Champ)
Not wrong, but also doesn't feel right either.

When the lowest bowl game's ratings blow away the FCS tournament games that even make it on cable.

Sure, they give a special spot to the national title game, so it probably has decent ratings ... although going head-to-head with the NFL doesn't help there.

Talk about apples and oranges. If you want to have the P5 make their own title and the G5 have one sure then you have a point.
That's what it should be, but then it probably couldn't get enough interest to even get games on TV or for anyone to sponsor it. That's probably the whole problem.

Some G5 have been talking about a G5 tournament forever. Has never happened, for such reasons. Guess they need P5 teams to get enough interest.

That's because the FCS schools are playing for a national championship, not a consolation trophy.
In addition to that, how many of them are looking to enter the portal and move to P4? Sure there might be one or two here or there, but no where near the number that would be from the schools in the second-rate playoff.

They'd have to consider that amount versus what they might lose out on by being late to the portal. And considering it's the NIT "ring" and you have 1/12th of a chance of getting it, I doubt that's a reason to stay.

Top Bottom