Do you think the Gophers will play in a bowl this year?

• Yes, we're bowl-bound baby!

Votes: 87 80.6%
  • Nope, we won't qualify this year

Votes: 21 19.4%

• Total voters

El Amin Fan

Reaction score

I think they will. I see us getting 6 wins. Illinois and an upset somewhere.

Yes, and I'd be happy with the one in the dome in Detroit - MAC opponent.

Each of the last two seasons at various points, people were asking, "Is this the worst Gopher football team ever?" and yet we still managed two conference wins in both of those seasons, so I see no reason why we can't get to two now. We went 1-3 out of conference each of the last two seasons, this season we went 4-0, and yet a few think this team is capable of no better than 1-7 in conference. Especially given the way the team improved over the course of last season, I will be shocked if we don't go to a bowl game.

We go 4-0 in NC and everyone thinks we should be ranked in the top 10.

We lose one game and everyone thinks the world has come to an end.

This is a young team. We will lose some games we should win and win some we shouldn't.

6 with a good chance at 7 wins.....anything more would be a bonus.

This is a young team. We will lose some games we should win and win some we shouldn't.

+1. Well said, 19. I would have to agree with your assesment. 6 with a good chance at 7 wins.

Good points, except for the first part. When the Arkansas fan came here to try and "stir it up" about the non-ranking most people didn't think the Gophers should have been ranked in the Top 25 let alone Top 10.

Wish we could be having that discussion again this week..

Good points, except for the first part. When the Arkansas fan came here to try and "stir it up" about the non-ranking most people didn't think the Gophers should have been ranked in the Top 25 let alone Top 10.

Wish we could be having that discussion again this week..

It's called exaggeration. If you're over 60 it's legal. If you're Dr Don's age I think it is mandatory.

2-6 in conference play is an amazingly low bar, so the Gophers should make it to a "bowl" game.

It's called exaggeration. If you're over 60 it's legal. If you're Dr Don's age I think it is mandatory.

Right on, Mr. Alexandria Flash. Waking up each morning, check the Fargo Forum Obituaries Column, is also mandatory. If my name isn't listed, it is mandatory that I have a good day.

Here's to ya, 19... :drink: :drink: :drink:

I think I started off the summer predicting 5 wins. I'll stick with my lousy prediction and not adjust on the fly. Therefore, my hopes are pinned to crushing Wisky.

Gophers will win two of remaining four home games and will win in Champaign. 7-5.

I do think we make a bowl, beating Illinois and a Northwestern/Purdue along the way too.

2-6 may not be pretty in the B1G, but Kill has done nothing but preach progress and just how hard rebuilding a program from the ground up truly is. We won't go 6-2 in the B1G for awhile. We have to, as much as I hate to do so, be patient.

I tend to be ok as long as there's progress. I saw life in the team between September and November a year ago, plus we retained Floyd, so I was happy. This year, I expect more. As a fan/alum, I want 5 or 6 wins, and hopefully that extra game and practices that come with it. Even if it's just in Detroit and nothing special.

Then, next year, we can talk about a 7th win or maybe getting closer to 4-4 in B1G play. We may only be getting little bites here and there, guys, but be happy. Many fans of other programs out there aren't eating at all! ;)

I still think they'll make it to a Bowl, but I was expecting a closer battle in Iowa. If you had put a gun to my head at the beginning of the season and asked our best chance of B1G wins, I would have said IA and IL no question. But after watching the team, I really do think they match up much better against NW and Purdue (less physical lines from what little I've seen). Illinois is no guarantee, but I think they can win in Champaign. And who knows with MI St. WI, MI and NE will be very challenging (especially on the road for WI and NE), but you never know. Maybe one of them (hopefully WI) looks past MN and they sneak out a win.

This is a young team. We will lose some games we should win and win some we shouldn't

Well said, I completely agree.

I do think the Gophers will make a Bowl, but its amazing how many people think 2-6 in a terrible Big Ten will be a good season?

Just cause the conference on the national scale is a bit down, doesn't mean we're suddenly in the mix or something. We haven't beaten a B1G squad besides Iowa or Illinois since the MSU Halloween game in '09. That feels an eternity ago, but that's how it's been lately. I think get to this bowl game, and that's a good step forward for this program, even if we only get the 2 wins in this "terrible" conference.

2-6 in conference play is an amazingly low bar, so the Gophers should make it to a "bowl" game.

I agree its a low bar. If we are progressing, we sure better at least match last season's conference record. I bet we are a better team this year and we see ourselves improve by one game to 3-5. I think we knock off Illinois, Northwestern, and either MSU or Wisco (we only lost by one score at MSU last year, so I expect us to make up those points because we improved and they got worse and we will be at home, also, I am feeling good about the Bucky game because they looked really Mason-esque the way they choked on the lead last week).

At this point, a bowl game is HUGE. Sure, I'd love to see them finish with 7-8 wins or more but in all reality, it doesn't matter as long as they make it to a bowl.

> An additional MONTH of practice
> Some more national exposure, regardless of the setting

For a young and growing team that brings back so many players, that would be enormous. It's vital to be playing a game in late December at this stage of the program's development.

The Gophers have seven games to win 2. They have 4 games at home and the only ranked teams they play are ranked 24 and 21. Not winning 2 would be a disaster. Winniing 3 would ok and 4 a success.

As a benchmark, the only years they have won less than 2, they were historically bad (Brewster's first year, Mason's first year, most of the Wacker regime). I don't think this is a terrible team so anything less than 2 would be a failure.

2-6 may not be pretty in the B1G, but Kill has done nothing but preach progress and just how hard rebuilding a program from the ground up truly is.

Too many Gopher fans love to buy into the low expectations bit. It sounds genuine coming from Kill, but it's just that, a bit. I understand there haven't been any championships or NYD bowls in recent memory, but this is a program that from Mason through Brewster averaged 6 wins/season and went to bowls 9 of the last 14 seasons.

Hence this is not a "ground up" rebuilding job. Although there was a lot of attrition Brewster still left a nidus of talent in the upper class. In addition, Kill has signed at least 10 JUCO which should actually accelerate the timeline for success. Finally, he has the full benefit of the newest and nicest stadium in the conference as well as a down year. With this schedule, 6 wins should be the absolute low bar.

Top Bottom