Do you root for other Big 10 teams...

A plague on both Wisconsin and Iowa's houses, but I still hope they beat other non-big ten teams.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8IehWRuvwQE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8IehWRuvwQE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Admittedly, I cheer against NW during bowl season cuz I love that never won a bowl since Truman streak.

It's a win-win situation. I don't cheer for Iowa or Wisconsin.

If they win: I can use their victory as validation that the Big Ten is a good conference.
If they lose: I can take joy in their demise.

in their bowl games?
Just curious.

I tend to root for the other SEC teams in all their bowls except for Ole Miss and Florida.

I despise Alabama but I my hate for Texas is far deeper. Haha.
So I'm pretty much torn in the national championship game.

Just something I have often wondered about.

I lightly cheer for all other Bigten teams except for Wisconsin. I will half heartedly cheer for Iowa in a bowl game.

Outside of the BigTen I cheer for Arkansas and Alabama (sorry DeltaHog) because of a assistant coach, that I had in JC, that went there(Alabama). I somewhat follow USC, Oklahoma, and Texas. I don't really cheer for any of them, that is unless they are playing ND, or Nebraska.

I always cheer for Big 10 teams in bowl games, non-conference games, NCAA tournament basketball games, etc. etc. etc. I don't make exceptions to that. I was pulling hard for Wisconsin over Miami and I will be pulling equally hard for Iowa against Georgia Tech. For me personally, cheering against anyone in the Big 10 is sort of like a light version of cheering against the Gophers. I couldn't imagine doing it. I know not everyone feels the same and I'm not saying my way is "better." I just picked up that line of thinking from my Dad long long ago and I have been that way ever since. I think the last time I have cheered against a Big 10 team outside of a conference game was when I was a kid and got caught up in Indiana State's small school run in the Final Four. I can still remember my Dad asking me why I was pulling for Bird and the Sycamores over Magic and Michigan State. My thoughts on backing the conference have been 100% solid since. In fact, I remember generally disliking Penn State prior to their joining of the conference but have pulled for them ever since the day they joined. I'll do the same for Notre Dame in the unlikely event they change their mind and become the 12th team. Until then, I will continue to hate them. :)

On the other hand, I quite enjoy any loss from the SEC (Sorry Delta), ACC, and Notre Dame. I generally like Pac 10 and tolerate the Big 12 and Big East.

Perhaps I'm ignorant but I've never bought into the whole "it makes the conference look better" argument. I hate the teams during the regular season, I hate them during the post season. I'll root for Penn State because of the great experience I had visiting Penn State, but other than that I'd love to see everyone crash and burn, particularly Wisconsin, Iowa, Michigan, and Ohio State. Does conference prestige increase if they win? Sure. But frankly I don't care about conference prestige unless it directly affects Minnesota. And frankly the past (several) seasons it has not. If down the road the Gophers were 10-2 or 11-1 and it meant the difference between a BCS at-large bid and a non-BCS bid and the bid was lost because of low Big 10 prestige, then I might get concerned.

I believe I'm part of the "Everyone but Wisconsin and Iowa" boat, for the most part, in both football and basketball non-conference and post-season events.

However, there have been exceptions. If they are big underdogs in the NCAA tournament, I tend to pull for them...as boring of a brand of basketball it was, I did enjoy seeing Dick Bennett make a run at the Final Four with Wisconsin. As much as I hate both of them, I'd rather see both of them knock off a Duke or UNC in the second round #8 vs #1 match-up, no question.

There's not many teams I hate more than Iowa or Wisconsin, but I hate even more to hear again how much better other conferences are than the Big Ten...it means a lot to true Big Ten fans, in my opinion, to be the best overall.

That said...if Iowa and Wisconsin are matching up against each other, I would prefer a meteor hit the facility than see either one win...

I cheer for all Big Ten teams in bowl games and all basketball teams in tournament play. Didn't ever plan to do it, but, all of a sudden one time, I found myself pulling for a Bo Ryan team against Kentucky. Once the shock and shame wore off, I have continued to do it since I had already sinned.

I root for everyone but Wisconsin, Iowa and sometimes Michigan. I can begrudingly get myself to for Iowa, espeically in football, but not Wisconsin. Maybe Wisconson basketball in some kind of extreme circumstance (I found myself rooting for them to beat Duke) but never Bucky football. Bielema's just too much of an @ss. I can't decide if I can bring myself to root for Iowa tomorrow.

Speaking of Iowa, there's an interesting article in today's Omaha World-Herald about the bowl victory drought that Iowa's football program is currently enduring. Although they've had success getting to all types of bowl games recently and winning some of the minor ones they've not won a major bowl game since the 1957 and 1959 Rose Bowls. May this streak continue tonight.

Two BCS wins for the Big Ten? Nice. :drink:

Very good win for the Hawkeyes last night. I assume this means that Carver-Hawkeye will be packed for the rest of the season?:eek:

Top Bottom