Do you miss me yet?

began11

GOPHER11
Reaction score
Do we miss Glen Mason yet? I know he lost some big games but compared to Brewster it is no contest. Mason did it with a horrible stadium and a smaller budget. I never ever thought that I would miss Glen Mason.

GLEN MASON:

Minnesota Golden Gophers (Big Ten Conference) (1997–2006)
1997 Minnesota 3–9 1–7 T–9th
1998 Minnesota 5–6 2–6 T–7th
1999 Minnesota 8–4 5–3 T–4th L Sun 17 18
2000 Minnesota 6–6 4–4 T–5th L MicronPC.com
2001 Minnesota 4–7 2–6 T–10th
2002 Minnesota 8–5 3–5 7th W Music City
2003 Minnesota 10–3 5–3 T–4th W Sun 17 20
2004 Minnesota 7–5 3–5 8th W Music City
2005 Minnesota 7–5 4–4 7th L Music City
2006 Minnesota 6–7 3–5 T–6th L Insight
Minnesota: 64–57 32–48
Total: 123–121–1

V.S.

TIM BREWSTER

Minnesota Golden Gophers (Big Ten Conference) (2007–present)
2007 Minnesota 1–11 0–8 11th
2008 Minnesota 7–6 3–5 T–6th L Insight
2009 Minnesota 6–7 3–5 8th L Insight
2010 Minnesota 1–1 0–0
Minnesota: 15–25 6–18
Total: 15–25

Mason isn't going to be coming back, so the Mason worshippers can get over it. Just because Brewster might not have been the right choice doesn't necessarily mean that firing Mason was the wrong move.

Christ almighty....

Just because Brewster might not be the answer doesn't mean that getting rid of Mason was the incorrect decision.

I'd still make the change if we could do it all over again (not necessarily hiring Brewster, but just making a change in general). We were a solid "middle of the road" program with Mason. But I think we all want to be more and probably weren't going to get that with him. We took a chance on Brewster and it doesn't look like it is going to work out. But you still had to make some kind of change.

JUST STOP THIS CRAP

Mason was fing horrible down the stretch, he quit after Michigan 03', QUIT.
He was overpaid, he didn't recruit, he didn't sell the program, he didn't care to elevate past a bowl game.

Brew is probably done here. That should be enough. I for one do not care to dwell on the glory of the MicronPC.com bowl.

It's time to move on, support the team, let Brew go and hope to god Maturi resigns before the next football coach is hired.

Now lets us fans blow the eardrums off USC this week, and hope all of the players are as frustrated and pissed as the rest of us, only they get to take it out on USC in pads.

I am not saying I want him back but when you look at the current coaching situation you have to admit that Minnesota football is worse now than 4 years ago. I was a big Brew supporter but he has had 3 years to recruit both high school and juco kids and this is the bigger, stronger, and faster team he put together that just lost to South Dakota. Maybe he can play Eden Prairie next year.

Actually, it seemed from your first post in the thread, you were saying that you want him back.

Firing Mase was the right decision. He stagnated, he plateaued, he got lazy. He was a much better coach than Brewster, but that's not saying much. But firing him was the right thing to do. Unfortunately, although Maturi had a batch of qualified candidates to select from, he chose the absolute worst possible candidate, and he, the program, and we the fans are having to live with the consequences. But do I miss Mase? Absolutely not.

No.

It's looking more and more that hiring Tim Brewster was the wrong move, but that will never change the undeniable truth that firing Glen Mason was the right move. In fact, the only mistake in firing Glen Mason was that, like Dan Monson, we didn't fire him soon enough.

Given the amount of rope most are willing to give Brewster, Mason would have been fired after 2001, especially after the 38-7 season opening loss to Toledo.

Firing Mase was the right decision. He stagnated, he plateaued, he got lazy. He was a much better coach than Brewster, but that's not saying much. But firing him was the right thing to do. Unfortunately, although Maturi had a batch of qualified candidates to select from, he chose the absolute worst possible candidate, and he, the program, and we the fans are having to live with the consequences. But do I miss Mase? Absolutely not.

If Mason is a much better coach, how do you explain the multiple HUGE blown leads throughout his tenure? What do you base the coaching skill on more than adjustments made during games? Not saying Brew's great either, but to say Mason was a better coach doesn't hold water.

I agree that Mason gave up after the 2003 Michigan game and should have been fired sooner. No way would I want him back! He did a very respectful job getting Minnesota football back on the map and paving the way for TCF stadium. However, we will never forget the Texas Tech, Northwestern, Purdue, Iowa, Sconnie, Michigan games that he lost in only Mason like fashion. That dumb look on the sideline will always be burned in my memory. They need to take their time and find the right coach this time and be willing to pony up the cash!

I miss Lou Holtz. Can we rehire Lou? He is a much better coach than what we have had lately.... :drink:

Unfortunately, I think this is a fair post right now. We fired Mase because he couldn't get us to the next level and avoid meltdown games against Big Ten opponents. Now we're still losing to rivals spectacularly but also haven't upset anyone since Brew arrived and we're losing to lesser teams (and divisions).

I'm glad Mase is gone and it was the right decision to let him go (and no I do not want him back) but unfortunately I really miss my team taking care of business and thumping weaker non-conference opponents--something Brew has not been able to do to date.

I told my wife before the game that we would destroy USD. Unlike me, she is a newer Gopher fan and only started paying attention to the team in the last few years (she went to UMD).

Her response? The Gophers haven't destroyed anyone in football that I recall. Unfortunately she is right so far.

That is why this is a fair question today even if it pisses me (and others) off to no end. I don't want Mase back but I do miss the days when we not only beat, but dominated lesser foes. The whole situation is unfortunate right now.

How lack of blowout wins hurts

When you have blowout wins in the OOC portion of your schedule, it enables a coach
to play a lot of people and get them real-time game experience. That's one thing
that has been significantly lacking in recent years.

With some blowout wins, both Gray and Alipate would be getting some much-needed
snaps behind center. Other players would be getting reps. As is stands now, the
next qb after Weber is gonna be very. very green. This is exactly how
depth does not get developed.

If Mason is a much better coach, how do you explain the multiple HUGE blown leads throughout his tenure? What do you base the coaching skill on more than adjustments made during games? Not saying Brew's great either, but to say Mason was a better coach doesn't hold water.

I explain the multiple blown leads by stating my belief that Mason was no more than a mediocre coach who wasn't great at making in-game adjustments, and was poor at recruiting. If you can't see why he's still miles ahead of Brewster as a football coach, I really don't know what to tell you, I'm sorry.

Mason brought the program as far as he could, and when we got passed over for a better bowl in the 10 win season, that was it. His collossal breakdowns in big games indicates hes not a great gameday coach. But he did bring us a distinct offense that worked and put guys in the next level.

Also much like Makovik at Texas, he didn't work the locals well and 'sell' the program. Which is a key item in BCS level football programs. It was time for him to go. I dont miss him but I did like the offensive philosophy they used. I was proud to see them run the ball up the a$$ of Alabama in Nashville, then watch those saps cry after talking redneck trash.

I will refer you to Michigan '03, Wisconsin '05, NDSU '06, Texas Tech '06 as just a sampler so you can "know what to tell me" about how much better a coach he was.

I agree that Toledo game was an awful loss, but at least Glen had some positives salted away by that point:

Beating PSU AND tOSU on the road
Getting us to a bowl game (that was a big deal back then)
He had even won a "trinket" game or two

What, exactly, has Brewster done to this point? Just a lot of hype about recruiting that's yet to pay any dividend on the field.

I agree that Toledo game was an awful loss, but at least Glen had some positives salted away by that point:

Beating PSU AND tOSU on the road
Getting us to a bowl game (that was a big deal back then)
He had even won a "trinket" game or two

What, exactly, has Brewster done to this point? Just a lot of hype about recruiting that's yet to pay any dividend on the field.

but that doesn't mean he shouldn't have been fired. he absolutely needed to get canned. it just means the university did a piss poor job in selecting his successor.

I have no idea how anyone who wants to see the gophers become anything other then average to below average team could want a coach like Mason back.

Mason=being happy with 3rd tier Ohio recruits, not getting any decent mn recruits, being ok with the fact that the U's coach is hated by the local hs coaches, oh ya and being happy with an average to below average team every year.

I think some people are missing the point of this post - the program is not currently better than it was under Mase and after this latest loss, is markedly worse.

Not that the program was great under Mase or that he shouldn't have been fired. The fair question raised by this thread is whether the program is better now than it was before Brew and do we at least miss where we were before Brew. I for one miss destroying cream puff opponents, upsetting a team or two, and beating a rival every so often even though I'm glad we fired Mason.

Always go back to the original post.

Began11's post asked whether anyone missed Mason. The resounding collective response is NO (gotta wonder how grinnin' Glen likes them apples, considering how miserable things are right now). You may find other secondary meaning to the post (Mason was better than Brewster), and the bulk of the posters address that as well - he probably was, but our patience was incredible after 30 years in the wilderness. It's telling that we had about 4 or 5 highlight games in Mason's 10 years and some think that going back to that level of mediocrity would be preferable.
If Brewster can't succeed (and it looks like the rope is getting shorter), we need a better coach (just like we did when Mason ran out of rope). Let's just hope that we choose a better candidate. I don't think you would have a good head coach if you put all the best of Mason and Brewster together. Their combined shortcomings would be putrid.

I still can't believe a coach at a BCS school was given Ten (TEN, TEN, TEN!!!) years with the resume you listed for Mr. Glen Mason. The fact that we allowed a coach to struggle for that long without making a change is more embarrassing than any one loss. The most annoying thing about was the guy was not even appreciative of being paid a Big Ten salary with ZERO Big Ten expectations.

Top Bottom