Do You Have Conference Pride?

MaxyJR1

Reaction score
The Headline on ESPN for the Blogs on Bowl games reads

A Region Of Followers
"Even if your team missed out on bowl season, you've got a stray dog in this fight. It's called conference pride."

As much as I hate some of our rivals, I always find it hard to cheer against them in Bowl games.

I'm torn. If the trolls have been particularily obnoxiouos, I'm a lot less likely to wish that team well in the bowls. But a good bowl season makes the Gophers look better, by increasing our strength of schedule.

The Headline on ESPN for the Blogs on Bowl games reads

A Region Of Followers
"Even if your team missed out on bowl season, you've got a stray dog in this fight. It's called conference pride."

As much as I hate some of our rivals, I always find it hard to cheer against them in Bowl games.
I have conference pride, but not nearly enough to ever cheer for Wisconsin or Iowa. I hope they both lose by 50.

Conference pride is one of the dumbest ideas around. Cheer for Wisconsin? Heck no. Cheer for Iowa, don't think so. I cheer for the teams I have picked in my bowl pools, regardless of conference!

I was even able to pull myself to cheer for Sconnie in the Rose Bowl last year, so yes, I definitely have conference pride. Conference success can only help the Gophers in recruiting.

My all-time favorite arguement. Having Wisconsin, Michigan, etc. win their bowl games doesn't help the Gophers recruit better.

"Hey, I see you guys got pasted by Nebraska and they just went out and won the Impy Chimpy Bowl. Where do I sign?"

Conference pride requires you to cheer against Wisconsin. In fact, being a decent human being requires that

None of you want to be terrible human beings, do you?

Cheer for a Big 10 team against the SEC?, no problem, Cheer fo Wisky against a team that bought it's way to prominence?, grudgingly, Cheer for Iowa?, no way.

Never cheer for Wisky/Iowa. Ever. The other 9 B1G teams? Sure.

I will never cheer for Wisky. Better dead than red is my motto.

Iowa? I've become a bit soft on them being that we have owned them the past two years. I can live with a Hogeye W.

I have conference pride, but not nearly enough to ever cheer for Wisconsin or Iowa. I hope they both lose by 50.

he has it right. will never root for wisconsin.....ever. and probably not iowa either. only time i would root for either is if it helps our standing in the legends division.

I was even able to pull myself to cheer for Sconnie in the Rose Bowl last year, so yes, I definitely have conference pride. Conference success can only help the Gophers in recruiting.

ha!

I could care less about the conference and would be just as much of a Gopher fan if they played in the Pac-20. I almost always root against B1G teams, as they are our sworn enemies throughout the year, and I have no idea how people can suddenly cheer one day for teams they despise the other 364. But then again, I'm probably the only person on this board that actually doesn't mind the SEC and some of the other conferences.

I was even rooting against NDSU last Saturday even though they've alot of Minnesota kids on the roster. I hope the Ducks paste Becky although I think it is going to be a high scoring game and could come down to the last team that has the ball.

I will root for BigTen teams as long as they are not named, OSU, Michigan, or Wisconsin. I can root for anyone else in the conference easily, even Iowa at the moment. I have even gotten to where I respect Bielema for telling the truth about how BS recruiting rankings are, but I despise their boorish fans no end.

Of course I have conference pride. The Gophers are my team and the Big Ten is their home.

That means that even though I hate the Michigan HitlerSatans more than grits, there's one day each year that I cheer for them.

Call it conference pride if you want, but I actually like the other teams in the B1G, other than WI & IA of course. I follow the B1G year after year, so get familiar with their players, coaches & fans. So it's natural I'd pull for them OOC; I certainly "like" them better then most other teams in the nation.

I always root against WI and am just sort of disinterested in Iowa. :)

I would love to see the B1G go unbeaten in Bowl games, and as long as that's a possibility I'll even cheer for WI and IA. But as soon as that first loss happens, I'm all in WI and IA HATE!

The truth of the matter is more B1G wins do help in recruiting once we become competitive. But until that point, Breakin' the Plane was correct that it doesn't make much difference.

For me, it kind of depends on how their season went or anything else involved.

Example: 2003 Orange Bowl. I enjoyed watching USC blast Iowa as much as any other game not involving the Gophers. I also took great joy watching the failed 2 point conversion by Wisconsin last year against TCU. But I didn't mind seeing Iowa take down Mizzou last year in the Insight & Wisconsin defeat Colorado in the '02 Alamo Bowl. When they're just a normal bowl team, you seem to hear more from their true fans & not the mob that is all about a winner. I can tolerate it.

My brother went to law school at Ohio State. I don't hate the Buckeyes, but I kind of developed an enjoyment when they lose in football because of how seriously their fan base takes everything and how everyone goes into meltdown because of this. People putting Buckeye flags on their loved ones tombstones, etc. So I will admit that I did have a little smile on my face when Wisconsin beat Ohio State in Madison last year.

The real dilemma for me was the play-in game at the Final Five in 2005 between Wisconsin & North Dakota. Talk about cheering for either syphilis or herpes. Unfortunately, I'm the type that has to kind of "pull" for someone regardless of the game. I ended up pulling for Wisconsin.

Well I definitely don't want the conference to be a disaster in bowl games, so yes, I lean toward wanting them to win more than not win. But when it comes to Wisconsin and Iowa, nope, they can go on ahead and lose every time they step on the field, and I wouldn't mind.

Well I definitely don't want the conference to be a disaster in bowl games, so yes, I lean toward wanting them to win more than not win. But when it comes to Wisconsin and Iowa, nope, they can go on ahead and lose every time they step on the field, and I wouldn't mind.

+1

Wisky and Iowa are ineligible for Conference Pride, always. OSU and PSU are borderline this year. OSU probably gets a pass since they're playing a school that just hasn't gotten caught yet.

Wisky and Iowa are ineligible for Conference Pride, always. OSU and PSU are borderline this year. OSU probably gets a pass since they're playing a school that just hasn't gotten caught yet.
You just stated the reason Wisky gets a pass from me this year. Any other team in the Pac 12, with the exception of the Trojans I'm ambivalent. I'm still peeved about the way LaMichael James was stolen from us by Oregon.

I have no conference pride in bowls. They are meaningless.

Although, I am a huge duck fan this season after being a frog fan last season. (If we have another goddamn thread asking if we are rooting for the skunks. I swear to God....)

DUCKS FLY TOGETHER

I'll never cheer for Wisconsin. Ever. Not for anything. I just don't like anything to do with the state.

I do have conference pride though and like the Big Ten to do well. Just not Wisconsin. I personally don't have the hate for Iowa that others do but maybe that's because I didn't grow up in Southern MN.

Top Bottom