Do we recruit Wisconsin??

cheeseheadgophfan

Reaction score
Just go done watching the Wisconsin state tournament and I'm just surprised how few players we've ever gotten from the state. There is a ton of talent and I don't recall us ever being connected to any of them. The 3 point shooting throughout the tournament was insane and I just couldn't stop thinking about how poorly the Gophers shoot 3's. The D2 game featured Janowski who is going to Nebraska and Kneupel who is going to Duke. Minnesale is going to St. Thomas. Sekou Kenneh (sp?) is 6'9", long and can really jump. He's uncommitted but has a Louisville offer. He'd look good coming off the bench at the 5. Eric Kinnesie scored 51 in a state tourney game last year and lead them again this year. He could play backup PG minutes for us. None of them seems to have any contact with us.

As many Minnesota kids as Wisconsin has, it seems strange that we haven't had any play at the U. Wallly Ellenson doesn't count (pretty sure they offered hoping to get an in with the younger brother. Just some thoughts.

Devein Bostick ,Mark Jones come to mind.Minnesota probably has better High School basketball IMO

Recently it has been more even than it has been. But I know in WI the big time players do not go to WI, yet their media does not write an article ever 3 months about how all the players from MN go to other states. I do not care where they come from, but you know the Star tribune will do the annual story next fall. Hell of scholarship players if (and giant if) 8 will be Minnesotans next year. WI never has that. It is such a stupid article. MN is producing on average 8-12 power 5 players, you cannot get them all. Recent Wisconsin players who have left the state in the NBA. Tyrese Haliburton, Tyler Herro, Kevon Looney, Jordan Poole, Jalen Johnson, Ochai Agbaji, Deonte Burton, Patrick Baldwin Jr., Michael Foster Jr., Brandin Podziemski and Alondes Williams

Rob Metcalf a
Recently it has been more even than it has been. But I know in WI the big time players do not go to WI, yet their media does not write an article ever 3 months about how all the players from MN go to other states. I do not care where they come from, but you know the Star tribune will do the annual story next fall. Hell of scholarship players if (and giant if) 8 will be Minnesotans next year. WI never has that. It is such a stupid article. MN is producing on average 8-12 power 5 players, you cannot get them all. Recent Wisconsin players who have left the state in the NBA. Tyrese Haliburton, Tyler Herro, Kevon Looney, Jordan Poole, Jalen Johnson, Ochai Agbaji, Deonte Burton, Patrick Baldwin Jr., Michael Foster Jr., Brandin Podziemski and Alondes Williams
Good list.

Just a quick note to your post. Ochai, was born in Wisconsin. However he grew up in Kansas City. He went to school and was recruited from Oak Park HS located in kansas city. If memory serves me correctly, he was a high 3 * coming out. He was more or less forced to play as a freshman @ KU because of injuries. His star never stopped shining once he started coming off the bench and playing.

Just go done watching the Wisconsin state tournament and I'm just surprised how few players we've ever gotten from the state. There is a ton of talent and I don't recall us ever being connected to any of them. The 3 point shooting throughout the tournament was insane and I just couldn't stop thinking about how poorly the Gophers shoot 3's. The D2 game featured Janowski who is going to Nebraska and Kneupel who is going to Duke. Minnesale is going to St. Thomas. Sekou Kenneh (sp?) is 6'9", long and can really jump. He's uncommitted but has a Louisville offer. He'd look good coming off the bench at the 5. Eric Kinnesie scored 51 in a state tourney game last year and lead them again this year. He could play backup PG minutes for us. None of them seems to have any contact with us.

As many Minnesota kids as Wisconsin has, it seems strange that we haven't had any play at the U. Wallly Ellenson doesn't count (pretty sure they offered hoping to get an in with the younger brother. Just some thoughts.
Agree with your point that there is plenty of high school talent in Wisconsin. Don't agree we were terrible this year shooting threes. Cam, 42%, Mitchell, 39%, Hawk, 36%.

Agree with your point that there is plenty of high school talent in Wisconsin. Don't agree we were terrible this year shooting threes. Cam, 42%, Mitchell, 39%, Hawk, 36%.
Correct, we are not terrible, but actually pretty good. Three point percentage, we are tied for 5th in the conference at .358, 3rd and 4th place teams tied at .359.

Baldwin went to UW-Milwaukee to play for his dad, so he didn't really leave the state. You could add Sam Hauser who played at UVa after Marquette, nd his brother is in the G-league and played for Sparty.

Just a quick note to your post. Ochai, was born in Wisconsin. However he grew up in Kansas City. He went to school and was recruited from Oak Park HS located in kansas city. If memory serves me correctly, he was a high 3 * coming out. He was more or less forced to play as a freshman @ KU because of injuries. His star never stopped shining once he started coming off the bench and playing.
Point taken, but was still heavily recruited by WI and I believe still played AAU ball in WI, but yeah did not go to HS in WI. Believe he has family ties there still.

Last edited:

Baldwin went to UW-Milwaukee to play for his dad, so he didn't really leave the state. You could add Sam Hauser who played at UVa after Marquette, nd his brother is in the G-league and played for Sparty.
Sorry was meant to be directed towards WI. As a WI native that loathes the Badgers I take it as a win whenever they go to UWGB, UWM or Marguette and love it even more when they beat the skunks. Yeah Baldwin was never going to be a Badger. Although he is one of the most over hyped players in the last 10 years I have watched play. He is slow and has limited burst. Garcia I feel is a better athlete. Both are limited but I just never got it with Baldwin, could not believe he was considered a top 10 recruit.

Correct, we are not terrible, but actually pretty good. Three point percentage, we are tied for 5th in the conference at .358, 3rd and 4th place teams tied at .359.
Wisconsin loses more than it's fair share of in-state players. My point was that I don't even see offers coming from the Gophers to players just across the border. Just my observation.

As for 3 point shooting? This is one are where stats lie. I do not think we are a very good 3 point shooting team. Garcia, Mitchell, Christie, and Hawkins all had moments, but they had many more moments when they couldn't hit anything. Maybe it's just me, but we haven't had a knock down shooter since before Gabe went into his funk. I watch these high school teams making 13 3's in a game and i just shake my head.

last one on the Gophers was Luke Loewe

prior to Luke, Mike Lukashewich 2015-16. but i don't recall is he was scholarship or walkon

so, not so much

We recruited Milan Momcilovic. We were his 2nd official visit. He ended up at Iowa St. (freshman this year). He was from Pewaukee.

Top Bottom