Do we expect ZERO off-season transfers?

Hmmm....let's see. Defensive Win Shares: 3rd in the Big Ten. Defensive Rating: 5th in the Big Ten. Defensive Box Plus/Minus: 10th in the Big Ten. Defensive Rebounds: 2nd in the Big Ten

But I guess your observation of Murphy struggling with Nigel Hayes in a game overrules all of that. Hayes is also two years older than Murphy and has played considerably more collegiate games particularly considering all of the post season games Hayes has played.

As far Lebron James, well, very few pros have guarded him successfully so he's hardly a representative example.

Who are the power forwards that are good in the Big Ten. Did you not see Miles Bridges destroy him or Nigel Hayes or how fast he was in foul trouble guarding Issac for Florida State. You can throw all the numbers you want out there but he can guard 4s that can face up and have decent handle.

Hmmm....let's see. Defensive Win Shares: 3rd in the Big Ten. Defensive Rating: 5th in the Big Ten. Defensive Box Plus/Minus: 10th in the Big Ten. Defensive Rebounds: 2nd in the Big Ten

But I guess your observation of Murphy struggling with Nigel Hayes in a game overrules all of that. Hayes is also two years older than Murphy and has played considerably more collegiate games particularly considering all of the post season games Hayes has played.

As far Lebron James, well, very few pros have guarded him successfully so he's hardly a representative example.

I like Jordan Murphy but when he has to guard longer and quicker 4 men he struggles he has slow feet guarding guys who can face up.

I like Jordan Murphy but when he has to guard longer and quicker 4 men he struggles he has slow feet guarding guys who can face up.

He's pretty good defending in the post, out on the floor defending the dribble he reminds me a little of Wally, he's been bad, very bad, he's quick enough though, there seems to be some improvement recently, Hayes will be a tall order for him, if he can keep him under 15 the Gophers win.

He's pretty good defending in the post, out on the floor defending the dribble he reminds me a little of Wally, he's been bad, very bad, he's quick enough though, there seems to be some improvement recently, Hayes will be a tall order for him, if he can keep him under 15 the Gophers win.

Exactly I'm not trying to downplay him defensively but I was replying to the idea of him getting a NBA opportunity because he's a good defender and I pointed out his weakness and a reason he won't be a NBA player

Some people around here really have stars in their eyes. Like the three monkeys: see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil. The way things are going now, Gilbert would benefit himself and the program if he transferred. If you think the average D1 recruit wants to sit on the bench and cheer his teammates for four years out of love of school and team, I can point to about 4 to 6 hundred transfers each year to demonstrate how very wrong you are.

What makes you think that Pitino will start smiling upon him and gracing him with more playing time in the next two years? Did he do that with Elliot? Did he do that with Buggs? Wake up. This is a tough business and Pitino has his cutthroat side just like most other D1 coaches.

It's certainly not too late to fill his scholarship and Gaston's if they decide to go. There will be 4 to 6 hundred transfers looking for a place to go and there will still be unsigned prep players after the season is over.

What in the world are you talking about? You're making up arguments and arguing against things I never said. I said
- 'I'd love for him to stay'. Didn't claim to know anything about what he wants to do or claim that kids don't transfer
- 'SOMETIMES guys like him become contributers as JRs and SRs'. Somehow you took that team mean he'd be 'gifted' minutes. Point is its possible he may be a guy that can give good minutes his JR or SR year. Not to mention that you don't want to constantly cycle out anyone that isn't playing nor do you want to have to constantly recruit JUCOs or grad guys
- lol at 'wake up'. smh
- Lastly, calm down. You went on a tangent arguing against points that were never made, at least not by me

Yea but its not like that's abnormal. Most college 4's will struggle against guys that are quicker and longer. Just like most will struggle with guys that are bulkier and stronger. The good ones present problems on the other end. Murph plays decent help D and rebounds well which is about as much as you can ask from a 4 if he's not a big shot blocker and he's tied for 11th in blocks in the conference. With 12 teams and 24 PF/C starters he's in the top half. Not bad

Yea but its not like that's abnormal. Most college 4's will struggle against guys that are quicker and longer. Just like most will struggle with guys that are bulkier and stronger. The good ones present problems on the other end. Murph plays decent help D and rebounds well which is about as much as you can ask from a 4 if he's not a big shot blocker and he's tied for 11th in blocks in the conference. With 12 teams and 24 PF/C starters he's in the top half. Not bad

I agree I was speaking to the notion that he will be a NBA player. Someone even said leaving early which is just crazy talk. He is the perfect PF for college hoops but not a NBA PF

Not to mention that you don't want to constantly cycle out anyone that isn't playing nor do you want to have to constantly recruit JUCOs or grad guys

Well, I said there were between 400 and 500 D1 transfers each year although there were more like 650 in 2016. That averages out to almost 2 per D1 program. Obviously, "cycling out" players is quite commonplace. As far as recruiting grad guys, transfers, and JUCOs, I seem to recall that strategy working out very well for Fred Hoiberg at Iowa State. Good players, like good business, are where you find them and you operate within the environment you have. Perhaps you just have a sentimentalist longing for days gone by.

Well, I said there were between 400 and 500 D1 transfers each year although there were more like 650 in 2016. That averages out to almost 2 per D1 program. Obviously, "cycling out" players is quite commonplace. As far as recruiting grad guys, transfers, and JUCOs, I seem to recall that strategy working out very well for Fred Hoiberg at Iowa State. Good players, like good business, are where you find them and you operate within the environment you have. Perhaps you just have a sentimentalist longing for days gone by.

Stop attempting to assume my position. I'm 32. I'm not old enough to be sentimentalist. My favorite Gophers were Bobby Jackson and Mbakwe. I've never said a thing about disliking transfers. Shoot Im about to coach with Akeem Springs' dad and uncle out here. My point is that programs crave stability and creating a culture where anyone not playing as much as they want leaves isn't great for that. Even coaches that acknowledge how much transferring is going on would agree it's not ideal. Me personally I'm all for kids doing what's best for them all the time. That doesn't mean it's always what's best for their team. If you lose guys every year and bring older guys in every year your conducting chemistry experiments. Hoiberg purposefully created that environment but there's a reason why that culture is unique

Top Bottom