Do we end up ranked in the top 25?

I was looking at it yesterday.
No, I don't think we do as people above us that could slide haven't slipped up.
Maybe voters will reevaluate after the bowls. Maybe if the teams we defeated fare well. Maryland for example blew out VT. Miami of OH also won there bowl game. I think it’s kind of 50/50, leaning towards we won’t just because I don’t know how close of attention voters pay to things like that.

should be close. currently sagarin's math model has us at 20

BGSU is like a communicable disease. Voters stay clear away from the Gophers. This one loss changed the perception of the Gophers.

I think pre- bowl game we were sitting around 29-30

To be precise, 29th in votes on both the AP and Coaches' polls.

The following teams currently ranked 20 through 25 could fall:

Kentucky (#20 coaches, #25 AP). I guess we have to root for Iowa; that's an easier task than usual since they rooted for us against Wisconsin

Arkansas (#22 on AP, #24 on coaches). I guess we have to root for Penn State. I don't think Penn State jumps us with an 8-5 record (but, then again, they've jumped us before)

UTSA (#24 on AP, #25 on coaches). Lost their bowl game to San Diego State who is not ranked but is leading us in votes

Texas A&M (#23 on both; didn't play their bowl game because their team came down with COVID) - they should get dropped from the rankings as a penalty anyway

Don't see anyone else dropping out of the top 25 as very likely but the following unranked teams are ahead of us in voting:

Utah State, Wisconsin, San Diego State.

San Diego State (12-2) beat a one-loss group of 5 team so I suspect they would stay ahead of us if one or more of the above drop out

Utah State (11-3) beat P5 Oregon State in their bowl so I think they stay ahead of us.

Wisconsin plays Arizona State tonight. Go ASU!

If Wisconsin wins, then I think all of the four teams mentioned above would have drop out for us to reach the top 25. Even if that happens, Purdue (2 votes behind us on the AP) could move ahead of us with a convincing win against Tennessee in the Music City Bowl.

So, the short version: more likely than not we will be unranked in the final polls.

should be close. currently sagarin's math model has us at 20

That's probably the best thing we have going for us right now. I think there are about 7 currently ranked teams who are rated lower than us by Sagarin but some of them, like Oregon and Louisiana, are just ranked too high to fall out of the rankings I think.

D@mn the torpedoes, Mike Sanford, Jr!

I think we would need a win vs ranked team to move up at this point.

I’ll be shocked but 9 wins means something

it’s like more than 8

Unfortunately not after an 18-6 victory. If we could have had better execution and a more balanced offensive plan and get the victory margin we should have had, then we had a chance. For most of the sporting world the only interesting thing about our victory was big Dan’s touchdown

Unfortunately not after an 18-6 victory. If we could have had better execution and a more balanced offensive plan and get the victory margin we should have had, then we had a chance. For most of the sporting world the only interesting thing about our victory was big Dan’s touchdown
Most of the sporting world has no idea who won the Guaranteed Rate Bowl.

BGSU is like a communicable disease. Voters stay clear away from the Gophers. This one loss changed the perception of the Gophers.
I think most national folks have forgotten this. We bring it up like it’s a foundational pillar of the program but others have shorter memories.

I think most national folks have forgotten this. We bring it up like it’s a foundational pillar of the program but others have shorter memories.
Yeah I agree. Nobody cares.

the only mentions you see nationally is people saying it makes no sense that a team as good as Mn could lose to a team as bad as BGSU

The thing that hurts us is 26 teams with 10 or more wins this year.

Odd to say but the lack of bowling green win hurts us more than bowling green loss

It was brought up several times in our last game…

the only mentions you see nationally is people saying it makes no sense that a team as good as Mn could lose to a team as bad as BGSU
Good point. There’s at least some implied respect when people are appalled the Gophers lost to Bowling Green. There was a time when that loss would have garnered a “well yeah it’s the Gophers” response

The Gophers will likely face no teams wearing orange in the regular 2022 schedule. The Illinois game is homecoming for them and they typically wear the gray ghost unis that weekend. Orange was a problem this year.

Natty in 2022 of course

I disagree. I think it’s just that we have four losses.

Yes, that plus our schedule is rated fairly light by the quantitative indexes. Pretty sure it's rated last in the Big Ten by both Sagarin and ESPN BPI.

And beating West Virginia is not something that gets you a ranking…

True. I know Fleck doesn't like to run up the score and our style is game control rather than trying for the quick score but a 28-6 victory might have looked more impressive. I guess the missed field goal and fumble close to their goal line didn't help either.

Top Bottom