Do the Gophers need a new PG?

I say give Jackson Purcell a shot.

He is what he is. Does the best with what he has. He’s just not real quick and doesn’t shoot well. That said they have nothing behind him. The guy they are playing at the 2 doesn’t look anything like a guard he has a hard time handling the ball period

He’s our best three point shooter, 2nd in offensive efficiency, leads the team in steals and blocks, and is among the top in assists in the league.

He’s our best three point shooter, 2nd in offensive efficiency, leads the team in steals and blocks, and is among the top in assists in the league.
Do you hope he's our PG next year?

What those stats don’t show is that he is terrible on the defensive end. He gets some steals because he gambles and has some length but it doesn’t make up for the points he gives up when he can’t stay in front of the player he’s guarding or when he sags off to much and gives up open threes.At least the freshman have improved defensively since the start of the season. I cant say the same for Cooper.

one of the slowest guards i have watched at the big ten level.
last night he lost ground to a Illinois player who was dribbling on a coast to coast layup.

he wouldnt be missed if he decided to move on

seems like he'd be a great backup guard to give you spot minutes. For me, it's hard to judge any player when they're logging 30+ minutes. You're going to wear down. On top of that, he's handling the ball on almost every possession, which is going to fatigue players. He currently plays 36 minutes a game. You have to be able to hide him somewhere or he's going to gas.

And he's 6-35 from 3 over the last 9 games
yup. we all thought it was too good to be true how he was shooting the ball. his three point shot is broken

and he isnt 6-35.....hes 6-37 in his last 9 games.

I wouldn't mind coopers stat line, if he would make his f.t. and if we had a sg who could fucking shoot
He moves the ball well and takes care of it (in terms of limiting turnovers). His defense is adequate.

The thing is: he's not a great shooter, not a great driver and not a great ("lockdown") defender. If he could be just one of those other things, it would result in W's. But I think he's just limited physically, so it is what it is.

Also agree that if he had a shooting guard who could shoot, then his skillset would make more sense - in fact, Ben would probably look very "smart" if that were the case. Selecting a PG who had Cooper's skillset plus any one of the other three I mentioned above would have provided an "insurance policy" against the possibility that our SG position would be a work in progress this season. ...That said, I imagine it's not easy to locate a transfer option that is (1) seasoned, (2) intelligent, (3) takes care of the ball, (4) passes effectively (all of which we've got in Cooper), and (5) oh, yeah, is lightning quick and can drive, too.

yup. we all thought it was too good to be true how he was shooting the ball. his three point shot is broken

and he isnt 6-35.....hes 6-37 in his last 9 games.

You're right, I shouldn't do math early in the morning before drinking coffee.

Cooper has just regressed to the mean. He's a 37% career 3 point shooter and now he's shooting 38% for the season.

He moves the ball well and takes care of it (in terms of limiting turnovers). His defense is adequate.

The thing is: he's not a great shooter, not a great driver and not a great ("lockdown") defender. If he could be just one of those other things, it would result in W's. But I think he's just limited physically, so it is what it is.

Also agree that if he had a shooting guard who could shoot, then his skillset would make more sense - in fact, Ben would probably look very "smart" if that were the case. Selecting a PG who had Cooper's skillset plus any one of the other three I mentioned above would have provided an "insurance policy" against the possibility that our SG position would be a work in progress this season. ...That said, I imagine it's not easy to locate a transfer option that is (1) seasoned, (2) intelligent, (3) takes care of the ball, (4) passes effectively (all of which we've got in Cooper), and (5) oh, yeah, is lightning quick and can drive, too.
Cooper turns it over 2.6 times per game. That's not great.
If we can get a quick PG in the portal, Cooper is a guy that I would love to see stay as part of the rotation- just not as the starting PG. He's so limited on defense, other than block shots, where he might be one of the best shot blocking guards I've seen. He also limits the team's ability to get easy buckets because he can't run a fast break. Getting a couple of easy ones per game off the break is such a bonus in the Big Ten.

So who’s the PG next season?

So who’s the PG next season?
He is neither here nor in our current batch of recruits IMO. Ben has to go get him in the portal.
Failing that I think it is another long year next year. Not as bad, but not good either.

Top Bottom