Do people realize that Wisconsin is younger than we are?

Really!? really!? You are comparing one skill player on each of these special teams units to linemen ( OL/DL) that play multiple downs consecutively? BTW Kucek (P) was a freshman. More importantly the LS that snapped the ball way over the punters head was a sophomore.

Yeah, unfortunately they ARE just as important as the rest of the team. If Kucek didn't screw that game up for you, you probably win the 2005 game.

If our kicked was decent this year, we might truly be undefeated as we lost to both Oregon State and Nebraska by only 3 after several missed field goals and extra points.

Like I said... debatable to say the least.

Also... how many of your FR/SO spots are being forced to contribute because of Injury to your better, older players? My guess is several. Most, if not all of our FR/SO contribution is because they have been good enough to play since Fall Camp. If we were as injured as you guys have been, we would probably have a lot more of the forced contribution out of more FR/SO out of necessity like you guys do. That being said, I think we still might be younger overall.

Really!? really!? You are comparing one skill player on each of these special teams units to linemen ( OL/DL) that play multiple downs consecutively? BTW Kucek (P) was a freshman. More importantly the LS that snapped the ball way over the punters head was a sophomore.

Your second sentence contradicts the first. Special teams players are not on the field for many snaps, but as you just pointed out, inexperience at that position can cause complete momentum-shifting errors that can turn games around. If WI is working with all underclassmen at ST skill positions and managed to avoid disaster thus far, that is a plus.

Yeah, unfortunately they ARE just as important as the rest of the team. If Kucek didn't screw that game up for you, you probably win the 2005 game.

If our kicked was decent this year, we might truly be undefeated as we lost to both Oregon State and Nebraska by only 3 after several missed field goals and extra points.

Wisky is MUCH closer to having lost to Utah State than they were to beating Oregon State or Nebraska.

How about this:

WI Freshmen: Punters 100‰

WI FR/SO: Kickers 100%

WI FR/SO: Punt Return: 100%

...But lets not talk about special teams... they're not as important as the rest of the team...

Signed,
2005 Gopher Football Team

This is laughable. Comparing punters and kickers to OL/DL and skill positions? You can't make this stuff up. The best part is that it's not true. Abbrederis was the punt returner against the Gophers -- he's a junior. Lastly, Wisky's kick returner last weekend, Kyle Zuleger, is also a junior.

You're right, Wisconsin is younger in special teams. But your statement earlier is incorrect as someone else already stated. Half your punt returns have been from an upperclassmen. Our punter is also young. So punting and kickoff return are pretty much a wash. Congrats, Wisconsin has a younger long snapper, kicker, and punt returner (half the time).

Also... how many of your FR/SO spots are being forced to contribute because of Injury to your better, older players?

Very few. I can't think of anyone on defense that has been forced to play because of an injury to an upperclassmen. On offense, Gray, E. Olson, and Mottla have missed some time, but that's about it for the upperclassmen. We've had more injuries of the young guys overall. Look at WR for instance. If Crawford-Tufts (SO), McDonald (FR), and Harbison (FR) don't get hurt, Barker and Engel (both JR) would probably not play as much as they have to this point.

Most, if not all of our FR/SO contribution is because they have been good enough to play since Fall Camp.

Same here.

If we were as injured as you guys have been, we would probably have a lot more of the forced contribution out of more FR/SO out of necessity like you guys do.

Like I said above, we've had more injuries to younger players (Edwards, Harbison, McDonald, Crawford-Tufts, T. Olson) so this isn't really a valid argument. Either way, the original argument was that the Gophers have gotten more contribution from younger players so I don't know how your statement affects that.

That being said, I think we still might be younger overall.

I still don't see how you come to that conclusion. The only area that Wisconsin is younger is in the special teams. QB is pretty much a wash, same with LB. At every other position, the Gophers have gotten more contribution from FR/SO. And some pretty important positions like RB and OL, it isn't even close.

I still don't see how you come to that conclusion. The only area that Wisconsin is younger is in the special teams. QB is pretty much a wash, same with LB. At every other position, the Gophers have gotten more contribution from FR/SO. And some pretty important positions like RB and OL, it isn't even close.

Now the question becomes, does that provide an advantage in future years?

Moot point, but he gave him a perfect snap. I believe the words from the announcer are, "Kucek fumbled the snap. It appeared to hit him right in the hands."

As for the Utah State debacle this year... not sure how that works toward anything that might discredit me explaining the importance of special teams players. I understand you probably enjoyed watching us struggle up to the very last second, but the fact that an entire game was resting on the performance of one kicker to make a field goal (and an easy one at that) is in direct support of my argument, not yours.

I never thought I would have to explain the importance of special teams play to Minnesota fans. Out of any fans, you should know what kind of impact they can have on a game.

Kenzel Doe is absolutely our #1 kick returner. He is a sophomore. But yes, Abby does occasionally come in for some punts. I suppose I should have been more specific.

I'll abstain that perhaps you have more Freshman and Sophomores that "contribute" to your team right now. Not by very much at all. Wisconsin is very young in many areas and the contributions are great. I guess we could debate all day as to which positions are more important.

However, if you add in the amount of juniors that are contributing as well as the lack of seniors that are contributing on our part (we've got 9 on our whole roster), I think we may have the younger team overall than Minnesota does.

Whatever the subjective "younger team" may be, I don't think the gap is significant enough to serve as an excuse to the fact that you lost by over 3 touchdowns on Saturday and failed to cover a ridiculous spread. You're young, yes, but we're very young too. We've lost close games this year probably because of our youth. We've also had to scramble put things together with 6 brand new coaches and an additional coach firing in Week 2 of the season, a failed transfer QB debacle and our own share of injuries. We're in transition just as much as you are with your new coaching staff in a way. The big difference that you should be concerned about is the fact that one of those young transitional teams got blown out by an equally young transitional team. Rather than spending your time making lots of excuses.

I'll abstain that perhaps you have more Freshman and Sophomores that "contribute" to your team right now. Not by very much at all.

Offensively we are younger by a landslide. I guess we'll just have to disagree.

Wisconsin is very young in many areas and the contributions are great. I guess we could debate all day as to which positions are more important.

True

However, if you add in the amount of juniors that are contributing as well as the lack of seniors that are contributing on our part (we've got 9 on our whole roster), I think we may have the younger team overall than Minnesota does.

You're right about the juniors. Wisconsin does get a ton of contributions from them which means they should be an improved team next year with all the returners. I honestly think the senior comparison is pretty much a wash. If Gray isn't hurt, it may be different. We don't get a lot of contributions from seniors either. Gray and Rabe on offense and Cooper, Rallis, Stoudermire, Carter, and Wilhite. Then add in our kicker who hasn't done very well. Those are the main contributors of the seniors. That's not a lot either.

Whatever the subjective "younger team" may be, I don't think the gap is significant enough to serve as an excuse to the fact that you lost by over 3 touchdowns on Saturday and failed to cover a ridiculous spread. You're young, yes, but we're very young too.

I was making excuses or trying to justify the result of the game. My only argument was that the Gophers get more contribution out of the freshman and sophomores. That's it.

My bad... I thought the title of the thread was, "Do people realize that Wisconsin is younger than we are?".

Enough already, people.

Wisconsin: 1848
Minnesota: 1858

Wisconsin is 10 years older.

Enough already, people.

For the record, there's not a doubt in my mind that I'm younger than Honkers (Dr. D), and quite likely a lot better looking.

Hi, Team A has all Juniors and a few seniors on their starting offense,
Team B has all Freshman and Sophomores.

However Team B has 18 seniors on their 105 man roster and Team A has 8 seniors on their 105 man roster.

Can you believe how much younger Team A is then Team B???

Amazing this post has gone this far :) It's definitely been a good laugh.

Enough already, people.

You SOB. I just looked up those dates and was going to post.....I knew MN.

BTW can 'enough already' please go away. I hate it, and it sounds stupid.

You SOB. I just looked up those dates and was going to post.....I knew MN.

BTW can 'enough already' please go away. I hate it, and it sounds stupid.

So in your terms, 19, you have also said, "enough already". :) (Here's another one to get rid of...."....just sayin'."

My bad... I thought the title of the thread was, "Do people realize that Wisconsin is younger than we are?".

Seriously? You quoted me. You know this comment "Depends how you look at it. A greater number of the players that contribute are freshman and sophomores for the Gophers." If you were responding to that quote, next time please quote the OP. It's really not that hard.

Hard to argue with those numbers.

The success, especially on offense, is built on the line. Wisconsin's base is much more established than MN's.

Still I have confidence in Kill's staff to tighten up the borders and build those lines moving forward.

Offensive/Defensive Line Starters

Wisconsin - 7 upperclassmen plus 2 underclassmen (RS sophomores)

Minnesota - 3 upperclassmen plus 6 underclassmen

Top Bottom