Do Kill's in-game seizures hurt the Gopher program?

• Yes, it hurts the psyche of the team and recruiting

Votes: 90 63.4%
  • No, the staff knows what to do and seizures aren't that big of a deal.

Votes: 52 36.6%

• Total voters

El Amin Fan

Reaction score

If this club won 9 or 10 games this year nobody who give a *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#.

It certainly did not in this game. We weren't going to win if he was on the sideline or in Tahiti. If there were recruits at the game and he can't meet them after, then that could change things, although most recruiting is done with position coaches anyway. By the way, any offensive recruits listen up. We have starting positions open at every position but Center next year.

Without a doubt it isn't great for the program. To what degree it actually hurts recruiting is up for debate, but I think it can be agreed that the program is better off if he is always in good health.

If this club won 9 or 10 games this year nobody who give a *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#.

Well we didn't win 9 or 10 games, we won 6 and once again went 2-6 in a mediocre Big Ten.

This is a game we were in at halftime. Our coach didn't come on the field in the second half. The guys will say they stayed focused and didn't think about it, but come on.

I would say yes; not for psyche reasons, but for recruiting reasons.

And I'm not sure if its a big negative, or a small one; but I'm pretty sure it's not a positive for the program.

Get Better, Coach Kill.... and then fix the hell out of this thing!!

Yes, but I wouldn't consider it to be material.

Of course it does. How much is up for debate, but when he literally can't even physically make it out for the second half of the game, that's not a good thing.

Anyone who says no is being dishonest to us and themselves. Of course it hurts and I don't think he'll be able to continue as our coach long term.

Anyone who says no is being dishonest to us and themselves. Of course it hurts and I don't think he'll be able to continue as our coach long term.

Indi, thank you for telling me what my opinion should be. Are you planning on going into politics?

I agree with Gopherprof and Indi1006. It's bound to crop up as negative recruiting in addition to being a problem during the season.

It is what it is, get used to it.

AP Jon tweet: "Getting harder and harder to say not a big deal RT @johnDshipley: Tracy Claeys has seen Jerry Kill. “It’s not a big deal. He’ll be fine.”

Go Gophers!!

Indi, thank you for telling me what my opinion should be. Are you planning on going into politics?

Gee, Dr. Don has got his panties in a knot over the type of post that is the stock in trade of the GH. Everybody on this board tells us what our opinion should be.

No doubt about it; when it comes to the kind of recruits this program will need to make it to the next level....you know the ones other D1 programs would like. Programs that have more recent success than the U, of course it will matter.

As a player that hasn't decided on a program; why would you decide to deal with this? The greatest concern of any player and his family is who will be coaching him. You spend months, sometime years developing a comfort level and relationship with the staff, the last thing a recruit with other options will do is commit to a program where the head coach health issues is this obvious.

If Kill had high profile person on his staff that was the obvious successor it may be different. Unfortunately nobody on this staff fits the bill.

I said it last year and I will say it now....nim rod Maturi had no business making this hire. The only coach worth hiring that would take this job with a lame duck AD was.......

Before some start calling me names again:D I don't fault Kill one bit; then man is just trying to live his life to it's fullest as best he can, which is commendable.

I think people are focusing too singularly on the recruiting issue. He missed an entire half of a game; that matters beyond simply what recruits will think.

Jerry Kill having a Bottom Line headline devoted just to him during a nationally televised Notre Dame/USC game is not a good thing for the program.

Not winning is not a good thing for the program.

I would say not having your head coach for half of a football game hurts.

I would say not having your head coach for 2 weeks of practice last year hurts.

If not having him doesn't hurt wouldn't that be an indication he doesn't bring much?

I think people are focusing too singularly on the recruiting issue. He missed an entire half of a game; that matters beyond simply what recruits will think.

I don't want to be too dour, but we might be dealing with a less serious Terry Hoeppner situation and it hurts both on the field and on the recruiting trail. A re-building program needs certainty and Kill's health issues create the perception that things are not certain enough.

One of the things that hurt the program IMO is that we aren't "cool." That's why our in state kids don't dream about us and why others don't dream about us. I think kill is a good coach but he didn't help the "cool factor." The seizures hurt a little, but the biggest issue is we don't win enough. I hope kill gets better and this stuff goes away. We need him back to get the kids ready for the bowl game

Of course it hurts, there is zero debate about it, you cannot tell me that this doesn't have a negative impact in some way to the program.

Now, to me, the real question is, does Kill's epilepsy prevent this program from being able to achieve "success" (however you really want to define that) for this program? Do I believe that Kill's condition is going to keep us from being a team that can win half our conference games on a regular basis and maybe occasionally be in the mix for a trip to Indy? I can't say I think it will, but there is a chance I'm underestimating its impact. But I definitely think it lowers the ceiling from what it could be if he didn't have this issue.

First off I feel for Coach Kill and this condition he has to deal with. But I agree with the vast majority here that this is a big deal. When your coach is having seizures on the sideline or missing entire halves of games it is a big deal. I commend Coach Kill for fighting through this and not letting this hold him back but at some point he may need to look in the mirror and realize that maybe working in a high profile extremely high stress position is not the best thing for his health long term.

He has never been under this kind of pressure in any of his previous stops. I don't know if his condition is showing up more than it has in the past but a BCS program absolutely needs its head coach on the sideline unless they are dealing with a life threatening situation (Dantonio heart attack....)

Is kill or the offensive coordinator the problem?

A new off. Coordinator is what is needed. How many plays did Marqueis Lin up at qb and do nothing but run off tackle. Pretty tough to figure that out on the def. Sid of the ball. Keep Kill but find some assistants who realize it is the Big Ten.

Not a big deal. We'll have to see how many recruits back out after today, I'm guessing none.

It will likely impact recruiting, being used against us - you can't help but wonder what Teague's take on it may be.

The only people making a big deal out of this is the Media....because it gives then something to write\talk about.

It will likely impact recruiting, being used against us - you can't help but wonder what Teague's take on it may be.

From Teague's press conference today, tweets via Nate Sandell of 1500:

Teague: "Regardless of Jerry's health right now. We're making success with this program." #Gophers

Teague: "We have 100 % confidence in Jerry. We'll evaluate his health at the end of the year ... That's more for him." #Gophers

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom