disillusioned hawkeye fans

spinedr

Reaction score
Not to take anything away from the Northern Iowa football team, which is a great sub division program. But If another Hawkeye Fan tells me that Northern Iowa could beat over half of the teams in the Big Ten, I'm going to blow a gasket.

Northern Iowa lost to Southern Illinois Saturday, didn't they?

That is just crazy talk

Not to take anything away from the Northern Iowa football team, which is a great sub division program. But If another Hawkeye Fan tells me that Northern Iowa could beat over half of the teams in the Big Ten, I'm going to blow a gasket.

No way UNI could beat over half of the teams in the Big Ten . . . its five teams max that they could beat. :rolleyes::pig: j/k

I thought you were going to say we are disillusioned because a few are starting to dream of a NC season . . . which makes me cringe for some reason. We obviously are not of that caliber, but its been a fun season so far.

I thought you were going to say we are disillusioned because a few are starting to dream of a NC season . . .

What do you mean "a few" and "dream"? It looks to me like most of Hawkeye Nation is booking airlines and hotels for the NC game... and some of that was going on already in August. :D

Oh, I heard the same thing after they almost lost to UNI. I've watched UNI several times on tv and they're good but not that good.

The bandwagon is full down here.

These days that's damning with faint praise.

What do you mean "a few" and "dream"? It looks to me like most of Hawkeye Nation is booking airlines and hotels for the NC game... and some of that was going on already in August. :D

Nah, it is still a small minority, and I didn't see any of that in August. Personally, I see a 10-2 regular season, but I can't blame those who want to think "what if" about remaining undefeated--except they are setting themselves up for ridicule by opposing fans anxiously waiting for Iowa to drop a game or two.

Oddly enough, one thing Iowa has going for it right now is that our offense can't seem to hit on all cylinders--leaving lots of room for improvement. If Ferentz can get that improvement, then undefeated in the regular season is a possibility.

These days that's damning with faint praise.

However delusional many Hawk fans are for the record Norm Parker said before the UNI game that they (UNI) could finish in the middle of the B10.

yeah thats BS northern Iowa would get their sh*t rocked in the Big Ten

NDSU

People on this board said the same thing about NDSU 2 years ago...

I think NDSU would definitely get their sh*t rocked in the Big 10....just not by us.

Nah, it is still a small minority, and I didn't see any of that in August. Personally, I see a 10-2 regular season, but I can't blame those who want to think "what if" about remaining undefeated--except they are setting themselves up for ridicule by opposing fans anxiously waiting for Iowa to drop a game or two.

Oddly enough, one thing Iowa has going for it right now is that our offense can't seem to hit on all cylinders--leaving lots of room for improvement. If Ferentz can get that improvement, then undefeated in the regular season is a possibility.

That's the thing that I've noticed in the Iowa games that I've seen this year. Stanzi looks great for streches and then all of the sudden can look lost. The way that Iowa plays tight with everyone Iowa fans have to be nervous that a big Stanzi mistake at the wrong time will eventually cost them a win.

Probably not the Big Ten, but they might be competitive in, like, the MAC.

Anyway, who cares about that game? It was the first game of the year, and we've done more than enough since to prove that it was either a fluke or the product of so many positions being unsettled at the time. The line was totally different than it is now, DJK wasn't really playing, our #4 CB was starting, and the immortal Paki O'Mera, who likely won't see the field again this year outside of special teams, was the starter at RB. Very different team.

like beating arkansas state by 3 at home?

No, like by beating Penn St. at Happy Valley by 11 or winning at Wisconsin? Or maybe beating Arizona by 17 (a late touchdown made it closer). Maybe you should reconsider that statement. If you look at most of the Iowa boards, I'd say more are pessimistic than opptomisitic. Most see Iowa losing this weekend and then to OSU. Carry on with your daily Iowa bash though...

I don't think any Gopher fan should be bashing ANYONE right now.

We have enough of our own problems right now and I think it's pretty foolish
to be bashing a team that trottled us 55-0 last year and will probably beat
us by at least 3 touchdowns this year, too.

I would think most Gopher football fans should be pretty humble right now - I know I am anyways.

However delusional many Hawk fans are for the record Norm Parker said before the UNI game that they (UNI) could finish in the middle of the B10.

Coachspeak to show respect for an opponent.

The UNI comments would hold more water if there wasn't a 3 point game against Arkansas State on the Iowa record too.

Coachspeak to show respect for an opponent.

The UNI comments would hold more water if there wasn't a 3 point game against Arkansas State on the Iowa record too.

You can't have it both ways. It's either coachspeak or it was a poor evaluation of an opponent. :rolleyes:

But you missed my point. All the talk of UNI being a middle rung B10 team started w/ Parker's opinion. And frankly I don't know if they are or not. What I do know is that we've had the most trouble with spread teams UNI, Ark State and Michigan. Take it for what its worth.

I would be off the wall with the Iowa record at this point, probably insufferable on boards like these.

Enjoy yourselves/brag/rub it in/live it up Hawkeye fans 09 is your year!

I personally hope that IOWA goes undefeated into the game with the gophers at the end of the year. What a great atmosphere that would be going into the game. Besides, I am tired of both Ohio State and Penn State. Iowa might as well win the big ten this year. It sure as hell won't be the gophers.

Disillusioned?

Check your dictionary, partner. I'm guessing you were going for delusional.

Either way, more power to em. They won at PSU and Wisky. They are on a roll and their fans should be as well.

You can't have it both ways. It's either coachspeak or it was a poor evaluation of an opponent. :rolleyes:

But you missed my point. All the talk of UNI being a middle rung B10 team started w/ Parker's opinion. And frankly I don't know if they are or not. What I do know is that we've had the most trouble with spread teams UNI, Ark State and Michigan. Take it for what its worth.

I could be very wrong on this, but I remember the Parker statement on UNI a little differently. I thought he said that after watching a lot of film on UNI, he felt that they had an OFFENSE that would be in the top 5 of the Big 10 or something. Even if my recollection is accurate, its largely the same issue. UNI's offense gave us fits that day.

I think most of the Hawkeye fans out there are feeling pretty lucky to be 7-0. There have definitely been some close calls against teams (as noted here, Northern Iowa and Arkansas State) that most believe shouldn't have been that close. Iowa did just enough to win - the defense stepped up and blocked two FGs in a row, got a late INT to preserve a win, etc.
I believe that the reason HawkeyeNation is feeling pretty good right now is Coach Ferentz's record in his career at Iowa of continual improvement in his team's play as the season progresses. Other years, they have lost the close games early in the season and then hit their stride in the second half. If he continue that trend (most notably getting more consistency out of Stanzi in particular and the offense in general), Iowa can have a fantastic season.
On the other side of the coin, the wheels could fall off.
I am firmly in the camp of "cautious optimism". I thought Iowa would get beat at Wisconsin to tell the truth. I am nervous about the Michigan State game this weekend; Sparty always seems to have the Hawks number - similar to Iowa having Penn State's number.
We shall see...

I would be off the wall with the Iowa record at this point, probably insufferable on boards like these.

Enjoy yourselves/brag/rub it in/live it up Hawkeye fans 09 is your year!

I agree. It would be great to have one year like they are having. Also South Dakota State is sporting a pretty good team this year. If they beat Northern Iowa, they are in the driver's seat for the conference title.

I'd love to play an 11-0 team come November 21st in Iowa City.

Top Bottom