Discipline a concern

Reaction score
I have to admit, I am really concerned about the discipline issues since Claeys took over. On the field, Minnesota leads the Big Ten in penalties yards and number of penalties. If anybody keeps such a stat, they have to be close to leading the nation in targeting penalties. Jack Lynn was penalized for targeting that had a disgusting display of sportsmanship by dancing and prancing off of the field.

Off the field, six players have had restraining orders served to them over an incident with one female. Does anyone else find that guy to girl ratio just a little creepy? I pray above that my daughter never has an issue involving her and six males. Now we have Brian Smith dismissed. People are talking about it, I can tell you that. Claeys attempts to make himself into a disciplinarian by letting Smith go but allows players with restraining orders play on the road. He also lets Lynn play after serving his half even tough he made a fool of himself parading off the field. If he was really a tough disciplinarian, he would tell the young men with restraining orders to stay home until the matter is finalized. If he is really that tough, he would have told Lynn that the NCAA is suspending him for one half and the other half is from me.

My experiences with athletics as a player and a coach with poor discipline is that it is always there just under the surface when you are winning. But when things start to take a turn for the worse, things have a way of bubbling up in some way. We'll see how this plays out........

Lynn's hit was borderline not even targeting. Receiver wasn't defensless. No one really knows what happened regarding the restraining orders so can't jump to any conclusions. About the only thing you brought up that is a concern to me are all the penalties for false starts, formation, etc.

You are consistently a negative poster though (troll?) so I am not surprised at your attempt here to bring these things up.

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk.

What's the big deal with trying to pump up the crowd in a close game as he leaves the field? I think you're overreacting a bit there. It certainly wasn't even close to a reason to suspend him further.

We still don't know hardly any of the details of the players who can't play at home. Anyone can get a restraining order. They were already suspended earlier before the charges were dropped.

I'll agree with one thing and say that Lynn's behavior after he was ejected did bug me a little. If that was the first time a Gopher was called for targeting this year, it wouldn't have bothered me.

Trying to pump up the crowd, celebrating, etc after leaving your team shorthanded for something that has happened 5 or 6 times already tells me that he's going to play how he wants to play doesn't really care what the repercussions are.

I have to admit, I am really concerned about the discipline issues since Claeys took over. On the field, Minnesota leads the Big Ten in penalties yards and number of penalties. If anybody keeps such a stat, they have to be close to leading the nation in targeting penalties. Jack Lynn was penalized for targeting that had a disgusting display of sportsmanship by dancing and prancing off of the field.

Off the field, six players have had restraining orders served to them over an incident with one female. Does anyone else find that guy to girl ratio just a little creepy? I pray above that my daughter never has an issue involving her and six males. Now we have Brian Smith dismissed. People are talking about it, I can tell you that. Claeys attempts to make himself into a disciplinarian by letting Smith go but allows players with restraining orders play on the road. He also lets Lynn play after serving his half even tough he made a fool of himself parading off the field. If he was really a tough disciplinarian, he would tell the young men with restraining orders to stay home until the matter is finalized. If he is really that tough, he would have told Lynn that the NCAA is suspending him for one half and the other half is from me.

My experiences with athletics as a player and a coach with poor discipline is that it is always there just under the surface when you are winning. But when things start to take a turn for the worse, things have a way of bubbling up in some way. We'll see how this plays out........
Most every player ejected for targeting around the country has a similar reaction as Lynn I don't even really see that as an issue. As for the restraining orders these players weren't charged and hopefully the restraining orders go out the window latter this week so I'd be upset if Claeys didn't use those players when he had the opportunity. If Claeys acted and enforced these things the way you are saying to it would probably create problems and a disaster within the locker room and some of these guys would be looking to transfer. As a coach if you want players to go play their ass off for you gotta have the full trust of your players that you have their back 100% and I believe Claeys does right now.

What would we think about this if this was happening to the skunks?

I took Lynns behavior completely different then you. I took it as him trying to fire up his teamates as at the time Rutgers was driving and he was trying to motivate them to get a stop.

Lynn's hit was borderline not even targeting. Receiver wasn't defensless. No one really knows what happened regarding the restraining orders so can't jump to any conclusions. About the only thing you brought up that is a concern to me are all the penalties for false starts, formation, etc.

You are consistently a negative poster though (troll?) so I am not surprised at your attempt here to bring these things up.

I surmise this post may garner typical responses, however, as a long time observer of Gopherhole, many posters generally overstate legitimate criticism on this site as the work of "trolls". While you may not agree with the original post, discipline, on the field for sure, is an issue. The Gophers have been very sloppy and do lead the Big Ten in penalties. They are not talented enough to play that way and succeed. That, along with the recent, ongoing issues off the field, shine a light on Claeys in regards to discipline for which he must rectify.

I hope people can better stomach the views of others on this site in the event someone may have the temerity to predict a Gopher victory of less than seven points on a Predict the Score thread. If you want to hear real vitriol against a Gopher program, justified or not, go talk to some hockey ticket holders...

I surmise this post may garner typical responses, however, as a long time observer of Gopherhole, many posters generally overstate legitimate criticism on this site as the work of "trolls". While you may not agree with the original post, discipline, on the field for sure, is an issue. The Gophers have been very sloppy and do lead the Big Ten in penalties. They are not talented enough to play that way and succeed. That, along with the recent, ongoing issues off the field, shine a light on Claeys in regards to discipline for which he must rectify.

I hope people can better stomach the views of others on this site in the event someone may have the temerity to predict a Gopher victory of less than seven points on a Predict the Score thread. If you want to hear real vitriol against a Gopher program, justified or not, go talk to some hockey ticket holders...
Apparently you don't know 3399's post history. Nice try though.

Apparently you don't know 3399's post history. Nice try though.

No, I don't. I am aware of the (over)sensitivity in general regarding disapproving comments that are tied to having some expectations of the program, on or off the field.

No, I don't. I am aware of the (over)sensitivity in general regarding disapproving comments that are tied to having some expectations of the program, on or off the field.

Didn't mean to get snappy with you, but 3399 has never posted anything remotely neutral or positive on this site.

I agree with the initial post that these things are concerning. I actually had more of a problem with coaches and players giving high-fives to McGhee while Illinois receiver was not moving, than Lynn pumping up the crowd. Whether or not these are borderline or intentional, you just can't celebrate after being ejected.

With that said, the on the field actions are pretty mild when compared to off the field issues. Anything causing players to be kicked off the team and not allowed to play at home are certainly you would think are concerning. On the other hand, you/we need to be careful about rushing to judgement on these incidents for which we know nothing about. They certainly won't cost Claeys his job, since basketball coach gets to keep his job.

While I'm concerned about the number of incidents, I still want to be able to trust the system of making the right decisions regarding players. I feel our athletics program has been in the spotlight enough with negative press, that new AD won't take chances on letting things slide.

Is there a sense of a cultural shift from Kill to Claeys as far as discipline on and off the field is concerned? Do the players think differently of Claeys that they don't take him seriously and pull all those shenanigans?

What ever happened to the wearing of the Minnesota Loafer tee shirts and the practice reps to iron out play discipline?

If players do not respect their fellow teammates or coaches enough that they do regretably stupid things that will be the downfall of any coach.

How come we don't hear much of these issues with Wisconsin?

Is there a sense of a cultural shift from Kill to Claeys as far as discipline on and off the field is concerned? Do the players think differently of Claeys that they don't take him seriously and pull all those shenanigans?

What ever happened to the wearing of the Minnesota Loafer tee shirts and the practice reps to iron out play discipline?

If players do not respect their fellow teammates or coaches enough that they do regretably stupid things that will be the downfall of any coach.

Because you don't follow WI football as closely as the Gophers.

I think people have been negative on this team since the 60's. I hope they continue this streak into Madison!

As much as it absolutely pains me to say it, they are doing things right in Wisconsin. I am old enough to remember when they were perennial Big Ten bottom feeders. Every year I hope the 25 year run they have been on ends. Every year I am disappointed.

I took Lynns behavior completely different then you. I took it as him trying to fire up his teamates as at the time Rutgers was driving and he was trying to motivate them to get a stop.

Rutgers scored on the next play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems to me that Claeys is suspending players and kicking them off the team if they don't follow the rules. Per another recent thread, he isn't allowing players to play on Saturday if they aren't practicing properly during the week. From what I've read, academically, the team is doing well and one of the best in the Big 10. Targeting penalties seem to be handed out by Stevie Wonder with not much consistency week to week and game to game. Not sure how you can lay a discipline issue on Claeys. Unless you just don't like him and will search for any reason to throw him under the bus.

There has been zero change in team discipline off field. On field, new starters are getting the experience they need, including learning lessons on how not to screw up. It will get better. Cancer is cut out and things improve.

Seems to me that Claeys is suspending players and kicking them off the team if they don't follow the rules. Per another recent thread, he isn't allowing players to play on Saturday if they aren't practicing properly during the week. From what I've read, academically, the team is doing well and one of the best in the Big 10. Targeting penalties seem to be handed out by Stevie Wonder with not much consistency week to week and game to game. Not sure how you can lay a discipline issue on Claeys. Unless you just don't like him and will search for any reason to throw him under the bus.

I was wondering about this. I hope it is true. Kill really improved the team's academic standing in the NCAA. Hopefully it continues under Claeys.

No one mentioning Claeys weight? You guys are slipping.

When we're Baylor I'll be concerned, until then I don't see much reason for concern about "discipline".

Top Bottom