Direction of WI maybe the problem

GeniusGopher

Reaction score
Could the reason that it is hard to find a coach in WI be because there isn't much in the forward direction? I mean, 3 Rose Bowls in a row, sustained success for about 20 years now, biggest game in town, the only real improvement would be a National Championship appearance. Consider how hard that would be. You'd pretty much have to go undefeated (or have all the other schools suffer worse losses, an unlikely scenario).

Now consider how easy it is to go backwards. Urban Meyer is in your division and will out-recruit you and beat you most years, meaning you probably won't even make the B1G title game, let alone the Rose Bowl. Other programs are turning the corner, such as Michigan potentially hitting the national stage again, and even though the Gophers won't be a thorn in your side next year, it's unlike you'll be able to use MN as a recruiting ground.

Usually up and coming coaches want a chance to make major improvements. MN, Illinois, Purdue, etc. offer(ed) that. Even Michigan offered Brady Hoke the potential to really elevate from where RichRod had left it. Wisconsin just can't offer that - almost like being too successful is there problem.

Thoughts?

My thoughts??? Put this thread in the "All Things Wisconsin" coaching thread.

My thoughts??? Put this thread in the "All Things Wisconsin" coaching thread.

Not directed solely at you, Monsieur Don, but I must say, I'm getting pretty sick of the "move this there" and the "this doesn't belong here" comments lately on GH. Lets talk Gophers.

Any by the way, this is the dudes first post.

Not directed solely at you, Monsieur Don, but I must say, I'm getting pretty sick of the "move this there" and the "this doesn't belong here" comments lately on GH. Lets talk Gophers.

Any by the way, this is the dudes first post.

OK, I will give him this one. And this is not talking Gophers, it's talking Badgers.

OK, I will give him this one. And this is not talking Gophers, it's talking Badgers.

Hey, I mentioned Minnesota in there. :) "MN, Illinois, Purdue, etc"

But really, is anyone going to read page 11 of some thread??? What I've seen here seems to be threads get going, then by page 3 or so it's two people going back and forth over some side argument they have, so in order for me to get to page 11 of that thread I would probably have to read through a bunch of that junk.

I haven't seen my thoughts on this posted, so I came up with the name and posted it for discussion. I didn't want to tread on someone else's argument, although I will admit I didn't read the entirety of that thread.

Hey, I mentioned Minnesota in there. :) "MN, Illinois, Purdue, etc"

But really, is anyone going to read page 11 of some thread??? What I've seen here seems to be threads get going, then by page 3 or so it's two people going back and forth over some side argument they have, so in order for me to get to page 11 of that thread I would probably have to read through a bunch of that junk.

I haven't seen my thoughts on this posted, so I came up with the name and posted it for discussion. I didn't want to tread on someone else's argument, although I will admit I didn't read the entirety of that thread.

Perfectly logical, very reasonable and totally hated by the Mods and many posters. It makes them "see" thread ideas and that apparently bothers them. Don't know why but it does. They don't even like people discussing the subject.

Perfectly logical, very reasonable and totally hated by the Mods and many posters. It makes them "see" thread ideas and that apparently bothers them. Don't know why but it does. They don't even like people discussing the subject.

+19

Urban Meyer may not be in WI division with the new pending realignment, right?

Here we go with yet another Bucky thread.

Right on, Parski. These are almost as much fun as "NDSU" threads and "Iowa" threads and "All Things..." threads and the Weather Channel.

Maybe we should start a Slippery Rock thread.

Maybe we should start a Slippery Rock thread.

I assume you're referring to Slippery Rock Teacher's College or is it the generic slippery rock threads that we hear about such as NDSU?

I assume you're referring to Slippery Rock Teacher's College or is it the generic slippery rock threads that we here such as NDSU?

There are no Slippery Rocks in Fargo...only muck and mud.

The Slippery Rocks all became extinct with the Wild Buffalo.

Need I remind you of how the names Moorhead and Fargo got their names?

Regardless of whether or not this belongs on this board, or in its own thread, the assumption that wisconsin is even having problems finding a coach to begin with is debateable. It took us almost two weeks after our last game to get Kill, and we had plenty of time to search before that since Brew was already out the door.

This entire premise, and the others in similar threads, are largely just grasping at straws. Pretending wisconsin is somehow in crisis, as they prep for their 3rd straight rose bowl, is kind of embarrassing.

Regardless of whether or not this belongs on this board, or in its own thread, the assumption that wisconsin is even having problems finding a coach to begin with is debateable. It took us almost two weeks after our last game to get Kill, and we had plenty of time to search before that since Brew was already out the door.

This entire premise, and the others in similar threads, are largely just grasping at straws. Pretending wisconsin is somehow in crisis, as they prep for their 3rd straight rose bowl, is kind of embarrassing.

..and so is pretending that a team that went 7-5, finished third in their Division, and SIXTH in their Conference, deserves to be highly praised for their season.

Let's look at that one more time: Third in their Division and Sixth in their Conference. Yes, they hammered Nebraska and got to the Rose Bowl. Good for them but that's more to do with the lousy B1G Championship Game rules than the Badgers Conference performance. Pretending that it's a great year for them is REALLY pretending now isn't it?

"But really, is anyone going to read page 11 of some thread??? What I've seen here seems to be threads get going, then by page 3 or so it's two people going back and forth over some side argument they have, so in order for me to get to page 11 of that thread I would probably have to read through a bunch of that junk."

I strongly agree. Posters should have reasonable latitude to start new threads, especially when there are new developments, without being criticized.

..and so is pretending that a team that went 7-5, finished third in their Division, and SIXTH in their Conference, deserves to be highly praised for their season.

Let's look at that one more time: Third in their Division and Sixth in their Conference. Yes, they hammered Nebraska and got to the Rose Bowl. Good for them but that's more to do with the lousy B1G Championship Game rules than the Badgers Conference performance. Pretending that it's a great year for them is REALLY pretending now isn't it?

Where did I say they had a great year?? Do you think I somehow MISSED that they were third in their division?
A Rose Bowl is a Rose Bowl is a Rose Bowl. Deal with it.

Could the reason that it is hard to find a coach in WI be because there isn't much in the forward direction? I mean, 3 Rose Bowls in a row, sustained success for about 20 years now, biggest game in town, the only real improvement would be a National Championship appearance. Consider how hard that would be. You'd pretty much have to go undefeated (or have all the other schools suffer worse losses, an unlikely scenario).

Now consider how easy it is to go backwards. Urban Meyer is in your division and will out-recruit you and beat you most years, meaning you probably won't even make the B1G title game, let alone the Rose Bowl. Other programs are turning the corner, such as Michigan potentially hitting the national stage again, and even though the Gophers won't be a thorn in your side next year, it's unlike you'll be able to use MN as a recruiting ground.

Usually up and coming coaches want a chance to make major improvements. MN, Illinois, Purdue, etc. offer(ed) that. Even Michigan offered Brady Hoke the potential to really elevate from where RichRod had left it. Wisconsin just can't offer that - almost like being too successful is there problem.

Thoughts?

Well thought out from one New GH poster to another. However I beleive the all mighty $ could speak louder to coaches than any of the reasons you listed above.

Where did I say they had a great year?? Do you think I somehow MISSED that they were third in their division?
A Rose Bowl is a Rose Bowl is a Rose Bowl. Deal with it.

"This entire premise, and the others in similar threads, are largely just grasping at straws. Pretending wisconsin is somehow in crisis, as they prep for their 3rd straight rose bowl, is kind of embarrassing."

Yeah, you needed to ignore that and that they were the Sixth Place team in the Big Ten in order to make that first post. Oh and this year only Badger fans would have the hubris to try and say that this year "A Rose Bowl is a Rose Bowl is a Rose Bowl." On second thought, by the way they showed-up at Indy, even most of them were expecting a bad end to a mediocre season. Great for them that they leveled the Cornhuskers to get to a Bowl. That still doesn't make it a true "Rose Bowl".

Sorry, your first post was off the mark and you're having trouble "dealing with it". Understandable, you not use to being so far off the mark.

With all due respect - if the Gophers finished 7-5, 3rd in their division, 6th overall in the conference, and thru a technicality, qualified for the Rose Bowl, I think a very high % of posters on this board would be turning cartwheels.

Once and for all: If Wisconsin fails short of expectations - that does NOT make the Gophers a better team. I hate the Stinkin' Badgers as much as anyone - but even in my most hateful moments, I still am rational enough to accept that Wisconsin has had a much stronger program than MN for a long time, and has routinely kicked the Gophers' butts in head-to-head competition.

As my mother used to tell me - putting someone else down does not make you a bigger person. It makes you look smaller. Let the Badgers worry about the badgers, and let the Gophers worry about the Gophers.

The part I find interesting about this is when the Gophers were getting spurned by various coaches and such there was a lot of question as to whether it was issues at Minnesota. Now that we're seeing similar spurning happening at Wisconsin (mostly Bielma leaving for a middle of the pack SEC team and Jones turning it down for a different middle of the pack SEC team - Petersen, Golden and Riley would have been real long shots IMHO) and the alleged interest from Pelini in Tennessee, makes one wonder if the issue is B1G related or if there's something else going on? Do coaches think that the B1G is heading back to the Big 2+8 (now 10, soon to be 12 or maybe even 14) days? Are they worried the rules are too strictly enforced? Is the B1G not paying competitively?

I am not ready to say WI is done for by any stretch of the imagination, or that they need to panic because they don't have a coach yet. I do hope they hire a completely incompetent buffoon and he drives the program into the ground. :)

Regardless, I do think they are going to have a real tough time winning their division going forward, regardless of the coach (assuming they stay in the same division as tOSU).

With all due respect - if the Gophers finished 7-5, 3rd in their division, 6th overall in the conference, and thru a technicality, qualified for the Rose Bowl, I think a very high % of posters on this board would be turning cartwheels.

Once and for all: If Wisconsin fails short of expectations - that does NOT make the Gophers a better team. I hate the Stinkin' Badgers as much as anyone - but even in my most hateful moments, I still am rational enough to accept that Wisconsin has had a much stronger program than MN for a long time, and has routinely kicked the Gophers' butts in head-to-head competition.

As my mother used to tell me - putting someone else down does not make you a bigger person. It makes you look smaller. Let the Badgers worry about the badgers, and let the Gophers worry about the Gophers.

By the same token if the Gophers had been to the Rose Bowl twice already, came within a couple of plays of playing for the National Championship the year before, then finished Sixth in the B1G Conference before winning the Championship game, then having Kill and his staff head for a school that had never won it's Conference, then no, I doubt there would be a high percentage of Gopher fans "turning cartwheels".

Now throw-in Norwood not being able to find a successful Head Coach to take the job. Make it 10 years in the future and have the Gophers win every meeting in between and yes, I think that there would be many threads on Buckyville celebrating or at least getting a lot of enjoyment out of the Gopher's predicament.

Hell, I'd LOVE to be in the position to feel that kind of angst. The Badgers have earned all those things, except for Mason not telling his Punter what to do if things went bad in the End Zone and this year's trip to the Rose Bowl. Gees, those of us who complained about the possibility of a mediocre team playing for the Title and even sent e-mails to the Big Ten Office to that affect shouldn't be expected to be happy about it regardless if it embarrasses some Gopher fans around here or not.

Would I be happy if the Gophers were playing in the Rose Bowl? Sure you're right, of course I would. Would I be dancing or crowing about it? No, my level of hypocrisy has it's limits.

What bothers me S.O.N. is not that people on a Gopher Board are getting a little enjoyment out of it. Far from it. Seems pretty natural to me. Going over to Buckyville would be wrong, but not here.

You want to know the only thing that bothers me about this? The absolute JOY exhibited by Gopher Fans on this Board when the Gopher Coaching search was going on compared to Wisconsin's now. Go back and take a look. People hated Maturi and the U so much that they were gleeful in their hopes that we'd get a lousy Coach just so they could say "SEE, look how incompetent those guys are!"

Coming from a Bucky fan it made sense. Coming from a Gopher fan? It was REALLY a case of "cutting off your nose to spite your face."

Forgive me if I feel the same about a Badger team but not a Gopher one.

Redpoo all other schools today fill the spot in hours. A lot has changed in two years

Top Bottom