Dinero Moss a Gopher in 2013?

Parski1

Banned
Reaction score
Dinero Moss (who we thought would be here in 2012) is now with Ellsworth College in Northern Iowa. I asked him if he will ever be a Gopher via Twitter. His response....

@Parski1 yes see you next spring game.

http://twitter.com/#!/8Stack_Moss/

This conversation is almost identical to the Hinojosa discussion.

To the best of my understanding, it is extremely unlikely that Moss is part of our team in 2013.

If you qualified out of HS, you can leave JuCo after one season. If you didn't qualify out of HS, I always thought you had to earn your associates. If Moss would have qualified out of HS, he would have been here (presumably).

I hope I am wrong and that both of these guys can join our squad next year, but I really think they both need to earn their Associate's via the JuCo route. It just doesn't make sense for players who qualified academically to go JuCo when they have the offers they are seeking (Boddy situation was different because he went JuCo for exposure not for grades).

This conversation is almost identical to the Hinojosa discussion.

To the best of my understanding, it is extremely unlikely that Moss is part of our team in 2013.

If you qualified out of HS, you can leave JuCo after one season. If you didn't qualify out of HS, I always thought you had to earn your associates. If Moss would have qualified out of HS, he would have been here (presumably).

I hope I am wrong and that both of these guys can join our squad next year, but I really think they both need to earn their Associate's via the JuCo route. It just doesn't make sense for players who qualified academically to go JuCo when they have the offers they are seeking (Boddy situation was different because he went JuCo for exposure not for grades).

Maybe it's similar to the Robert Gregory situation where they are NCAA qualifiers but didn't meet the university's standards.

Maybe it's similar to the Robert Gregory situation where they are NCAA qualifiers but didn't meet the university's standards.

Yeah, that definitely could be the situation and I'm not sure how that works for players. There are also guys like Ferguson and Campion who went to Prep Schools and didn't lose any eligibility (presumably they went to Prep Schools for academic reasons). So like I said, I'm not entirely sure. I've just never seen an example of a kid who didn't qualify academically and then was only at JuCo for 1 season (much less 1/2 an academic year).

mattw1067 said:
I think you nailed it - Which is why Moss is thinking he will be here next spring.

Parski1 said:
I think you nailed it - Which is why Moss is thinking he will be here next spring.

So with other BCS offers, you think he just wanted to be a gopher so bad that he would go to a JUCO and waste a year of time to qualify for Minnesota rather than taking another offer.

So with other BCS offers, you think he just wanted to be a gopher so bad that he would go to a JUCO and waste a year of time to qualify for Minnesota rather than taking another offer.

Yeah, I think that is the problem with that scenario. That is why I asked if Gregory is going to go JuCo. It just doesn't seem likely for a guy like Gregory to go JuCo to ensure that he goes to Purdue (if Purdue has some sort of qualification that is Purdue-specific). It seems equally as unlikely that guys like Hinojosa and Moss would go JuCo and waste a year of eligibility in lieu of going to a school that they qualified for, who also gave offers. It's certainly possible.

However, I can'r think of a single player who went JuCo for 1 year for academic reasons.

The staff knew Moss wouldn't be a part of the class for months before signing day, it just wasn't reported because the kid didn't tell reporters. He had plenty of time to find another school if the issue was simply U admissions. It is rare that a kid is that in love with a school (especially a kid from Florida being in love with a lower tier B10 program) that he chooses to go to JUCO for a year to raise his grades when he could get accepted elsewhere. Its 98% likely that he wasn't a qualifier period.

Yeah, I think that is the problem with that scenario. That is why I asked if Gregory is going to go JuCo. It just doesn't seem likely for a guy like Gregory to go JuCo to ensure that he goes to Purdue (if Purdue has some sort of qualification that is Purdue-specific). It seems equally as unlikely that guys like Hinojosa and Moss would go JuCo and waste a year of eligibility in lieu of going to a school that they qualified for, who also gave offers. It's certainly possible.

However, I can'r think of a single player who went JuCo for 1 year for academic reasons.

The issue for Gregory is somewhat Purdue-specific. Purdue requires students to have 4 years of math while Gregory only has 3.5, so theoretically he could JuCo it for one semester and reapply. It sounds like he's still trying to work with Admissions though.

Dinero Moss (who we thought would be here in 2012) is now with Ellsworth College in Northern Iowa. I asked him if he will ever be a Gopher via Twitter. His response....

@Parski1 yes see you next spring game.

http://twitter.com/#!/8Stack_Moss/

I don't even necessarily read it as he plans to be ON the team next spring. I think he might have just meant that he's visiting during the spring game next year.

I'm wondering what the deal was with Isaac Fruechte and former Gopher Eric Small. Both were one-year JUCOs...

I'm wondering what the deal was with Isaac Fruechte and former Gopher Eric Small. Both were one-year JUCOs...

Fruechte had 2 years. He redshirted last season after committing to the Gophers so he could preserve the year of eligibility.

The issue for Gregory is somewhat Purdue-specific. Purdue requires students to have 4 years of math while Gregory only has 3.5, so theoretically he could JuCo it for one semester and reapply. It sounds like he's still trying to work with Admissions though.

Not familiar with Gregory's situation, but I do know the NCAA looks as much at class labels as they do at class content. Gregory may have taken a course that didn't have "math" in the title but required a considerable amount of math and was counted as a math course for local graduation requirements.

I remember that when Minnesota's graduation standards were moving toward a portfolio system in the 1990s (called the Profiles of Learning), some Minnesota athletes were running into similar problems as core academic standards were being embedded into classes where the NCAA was having some difficulty fitting into their framework. Minnesota's standards are more tightly defined and delivered now, so the problem has gone away for the most part.

I guess Fruechte was really a 1-1/2 year. He enrolled in January. I guess my bigger question is was he at RCC for academics? He obviously got his house in order after only a year if he was able to commit before the 2011 season and enroll at the U 4-5 months later...

From the NCAA Eligibility Center document "Academic Eligibility Frequently Asked Questions": http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/eligibility_center/Student_Resources/Initial_Eligibility_FAQ.pdf

"Will courses taken after my senior year meet core-course requirements? For Division I, maybe. Only courses completed in grades nine through 12 will qualify as core courses for Division I. If you graduate from high school on time (in eight semesters) with your incoming ninth grade class, you may use one core course completed in the year after graduation (summer or academic year) prior to full-time collegiate enrollment. You may complete the core course at a location other than the high school from which you graduated and may initially enroll full time at a collegiate institution at any time after completion of the core course."

So if Dinero Moss or Hinojosa or Gregory graduated but were one core course away from NCAA eligibility, this would explain a possible way they could not qualify for this fall but still qualify for next spring. Otherwise it sounds like you have to go the AA route.

I guess Fruechte was really a 1-1/2 year. He enrolled in January. I guess my bigger question is was he at RCC for academics? He obviously got his house in order after only a year if he was able to commit before the 2011 season and enroll at the U 4-5 months later...

I can't find it anywhere, but I believe that it was academic related. I thought I remember reading something when he signed that he was set to walk-on at the U but had some academic issue that he needed to solve at RCC. While he was at RCC he did complete his AA (which is why he RS at RCC his this year and finished early (December).

From the NCAA Eligibility Center document "Academic Eligibility Frequently Asked Questions": http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/eligibility_center/Student_Resources/Initial_Eligibility_FAQ.pdf

"Will courses taken after my senior year meet core-course requirements? For Division I, maybe. Only courses completed in grades nine through 12 will qualify as core courses for Division I. If you graduate from high school on time (in eight semesters) with your incoming ninth grade class, you may use one core course completed in the year after graduation (summer or academic year) prior to full-time collegiate enrollment. You may complete the core course at a location other than the high school from which you graduated and may initially enroll full time at a collegiate institution at any time after completion of the core course."

So if Dinero Moss or Hinojosa or Gregory graduated but were one core course away from NCAA eligibility, this would explain a possible way they could not qualify for this fall but still qualify for next spring. Otherwise it sounds like you have to go the AA route.

The part of that that is interesting to me is the "prior to full-time collegiate enrollment". So if Hinojosa and Moss enrolled at a JuCo (presumably full time if they are playing football)....it doesn't seem like they would qualify for this exception.

I don't really know, the whole thing is kind of confusing. Because this exception doesn't seem to be in line with the Campion/Ferguson situations where the players enrolled in an entire post-HS year of school at a Prep School and only had to complete 1 year and also didn't give up any eligibility. The Prep route must be considered just more HS, but that seems like a loophole that more people would take.

coneheads-f.png

Monty519 said:
I don't even necessarily read it as he plans to be ON the team next spring. I think he might have just meant that he's visiting during the spring game next year.

I think he plans on being here for more than just a VISIT.

In all likelihood, we'll never hear from Moss or Hinojosa ever again.

The part of that that is interesting to me is the "prior to full-time collegiate enrollment". So if Hinojosa and Moss enrolled at a JuCo (presumably full time if they are playing football)....it doesn't seem like they would qualify for this exception.

I don't really know, the whole thing is kind of confusing. Because this exception doesn't seem to be in line with the Campion/Ferguson situations where the players enrolled in an entire post-HS year of school at a Prep School and only had to complete 1 year and also didn't give up any eligibility. The Prep route must be considered just more HS, but that seems like a loophole that more people would take.

I would think that if they are using this loophole that they would not be playing football. Obviously I don't know if they are, I just saw it was an option so I threw it out there. I also would have thought that they would either attend a school in the cities or in their home town, not a third city. It doesn't make a lot of sense to move to Iowa for one class (well, it doesn't make sense for any other reason to me, either :) ).

The only other theories I have are:

1. If they didn't graduate HS and are finishing at a CC. I don't know if that is possible per the NCAA. The brochure doesn't say anything about your options if you don't graduate on time.
2. They qualified, but they were going to be black shirted, however they didn't want to wait to start their college education and couldn't afford tuition at the U. You never know...

As far as Prep School, I think they are classified as less than college. I don't know if the NCAA only counts schools that are part of the NCAA or NAIA as "college", or if there is some other criteria. However, I don't think the grades you get after you graduate count toward your eligibility, so I think that is why it isn't used much. I'm pretty sure you either qualify or not when you graduate (other than the one core class exception) and that decides whether you have to get an AA or not to play D1.

No idea. I don't see him listed on Rivals for this year. Wondering if he needs to at JUCO for 2 years versus Hinojosa that apparently only needed one...??

I saw the link to his twitter. I am proud to say that I don't how that works, but it appears if some nigga likes his stomach and pockets full and he mentioned some good pussy recntly left him and he is now confused. Fascinating stuff.

Top Bottom