Dimonic McKinzy

kind of interesting to see so many QB prospects that are so highly interested in us in the past few years. can definitely tell kill loves them.

personally i'd say McKinzy looks like he'll project to the defensive side. IMO doesn't look like he has the arm strength to play QB. Really like his hitting though!

Q&A from February...

Q&A with Dimonic McKinzy – “Minnesota is on top.”
After playing at a different school as an underclassmen, McKinzy transferred to Wyandotte High School in Kansas City for his junior and senior seasons. Dimonic is one of the top dual-threat quarterbacks in the Midwest from the class of 2014.

Q: Were you invited to Minnesota Junior Day?
A: Yes, sir. I was.
Q: Did you attend?
A: No, because of the weather and my dad’s car.
Q: What Junior Days or camps have you been invited to?
A: MU, KU – I went to there and got an offer from them Saturday, Iowa, and K-State.
Q: What are you hearing from Minnesota?
A: They’re really interested in me. We have a nice little bond. I talked with Coach Z yesterday. I fit their offense, and I know how to move around.
Q: So you have a pretty good relationship with Coach Zebrowski?
A: Yes, sir.
Q: Which schools have offered you?
A: I’ve been offered by Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska, and KU. I’m hearing a lot from Northern Illinois, Tulsa and a lot of other schools from different conferences
Q: Do you have any favorites yet?
A: Yeah, honestly, not because you’re talking to me, but Minnesota’s on top. I’ve told everyone that. Minnesota’s on top. Right now, I don’t have a second school, because the school I’ve been putting my most interest in is Minnesota.
Q: Have you thought much about what you’re looking for when making a college decision?
A: I’m looking for a school that can take me to the next level on the field and off the field. I’m going to own my own construction business, so I want to own a place that can keep me where I’m trying to go. I don’t want to work for anyone – after I play football.
Q: Do you know what you want to major in to help you own your own construction company?
A: Business Management.
Q: How do you think your season went?
A: It went pretty well. We went 5-4. It was my first year at this high school. It was our first winning season in over 20 years. We won conference – they hadn’t won that in over 20 years.
Q: Did you have a favorite team growing up?
A: Florida, but I have to come to my reality. They recruit from Florida and Texas.
Q: What are you working on to improve?
A: I have a quarterback trainer. His name is Skip Stitzell. We mostly work on footwork and velocity and placement of the ball, stuff like that.
Q: Do you know who Max Shortell is? He had a QB coach in the Kansas City area, too.
A: Yeah, he worked with Coach Skip, as well.
Q: Do you have any goals for next year?
A: I’m trying to get over 3000 passing yards, 1500 rushing yards, go to state, and win state, and be a better team leader.​

He looks to be in the Chris Streveler/Donovahn Jones mold. Bring them in, try them at QB, if they don't fit at QB find another spot for them.

Not to rag on a high school kid, but I wasn't impressed with this kids video and frankly am shocked that he has offers from the schools he has listed. His speed is less than impressive. He didn't really jump out at me as being all that athletic or fast, so I looked up to see if he runs track to see some "real" times. I found that last year as a sophomore he ran 12.28 in the 100m, and 24.99 in the 200m. Now, for those of you who aren't track people, those times wouldn't place in the top 5 at a JV track meet. He has run 12.30 this year in a meet won by a kid running 11.44. I include the winner's time in case there was a headwind, poor weather, etc.

I know that track speed and football speed are very different things. QB's don't need to have blazing speed, but to be a successful Big10 dual threat QB, you need to be faster than that. The 4.57 40 time is obviously bunk (aren't they all?) When I saw Donovahn Jones' or Streveler's highlights, I was impressed. They were by far the best athletes on the field. They looked fast. This guy, not so much. He did have some nice hits and threw the ball fairly well, but I feel like there are kids like this all over the field in MN.

Not to rag on a high school kid, but I wasn't impressed with this kids video and frankly am shocked that he has offers from the schools he has listed. His speed is less than impressive. He didn't really jump out at me as being all that athletic or fast, so I looked up to see if he runs track to see some "real" times. I found that last year as a sophomore he ran 12.28 in the 100m, and 24.99 in the 200m. Now, for those of you who aren't track people, those times wouldn't place in the top 5 at a JV track meet. He has run 12.30 this year in a meet won by a kid running 11.44. I include the winner's time in case there was a headwind, poor weather, etc.

I know that track speed and football speed are very different things. QB's don't need to have blazing speed, but to be a successful Big10 dual threat QB, you need to be faster than that. The 4.57 40 time is obviously bunk (aren't they all?) When I saw Donovahn Jones' or Streveler's highlights, I was impressed. They were by far the best athletes on the field. They looked fast. This guy, not so much. He did have some nice hits and threw the ball fairly well, but I feel like there are kids like this all over the field in MN.

I haven't watched any of his film, so I can't speak to the rest of his game, but those track times are very unimpressive for a dual-threat quarterback. Are we even certain he is a dual-threat QB and not more of a pocket passer?

For comparisons sake, even Leidner is faster than 12.3. I wouldn't be surprised if one of our more mobile O-lineman (like Hayes) could come very close to a 12.3.

I haven't watched any of his film, so I can't speak to the rest of his game, but those track times are very unimpressive for a dual-threat quarterback. Are we even certain he is a dual-threat QB and not more of a pocket passer?

For comparisons sake, even Leidner is faster than 12.3. I wouldn't be surprised if one of our more mobile O-lineman (like Hayes) could come very close to a 12.3.

Exactly what I was thinking. Would have to be more of a pocket passer like Shortell was with that speed. At the same time, though, I feel like I must be missing something if he has MN, IA, NE, KU offers.

Top Bottom