Differences between 2019 and 2022 seasons

joekulas12

Reaction score
Some things I want to just post on here as a consideration

1. Some teams in 2022 are way better than 2019 (Purdue, Illinois)
2. Iowa and Wisconsin are both definitely down, but I don’t think so down that they will be a walk in the park.
3. Ohio St is more beatable this year than in 2019
4. Gophers defense is better as a whole in 2022
5. Our OL this year might be better than 2019

Feel free to post some thoughts on differences or similarities you see…

I don't say this to be a wet blanket, but 2019 team had a few absolute game breakers that I'm not sure this team has. Winfield was the best safety in the country, and we had the 2 best WR in the big ten.

This team however appears a bit deeper, at least on defense. And at least through this point in the season, the 2022 team appears more focused, sharp, disciplined, etc. but maybe that is just recency bias.

I don't say this to be a wet blanket, but 2019 team had a few absolute game breakers that I'm not sure this team has. Winfield was the best safety in the country, and we had the 2 best WR in the big ten.

This team however appears a bit deeper, at least on defense. And at least through this point in the season, the 2022 team appears more focused, sharp, disciplined, etc. but maybe that is just recency bias.
2022 is much deeper and is 100% Fleck’s creation.

I feel like 2022 is a more balanced and complete team. 2019 had Bateman, Winfield, and Johnson. Not sure what it better yet...

Tanner Morgan's experience level.

He is the point guard, the trigger man. He is a leader on this team. And this year, he is performing like the maestro — as if he were the confident conductor of a high-level orchestra.

He is a better player in 2022 than he was in 2019 because he's seen it all, been there, done that. That's the key difference I see in 2022.

6. The 2019 team flirted with disaster every week. We could have easily, easily been 1-2 in non-con.
They turned it on when B1G play started.
Purdue 38-31 - was a 3 TD game until Purdue showed some life in the 4th quarter
Illinois 40-17 easy win
Nebraska 34-7 win after we called off the dogs when it was 34-0 at the end of Q3
Rutgers 42-7
Maryland 52-10

Illinois 40-17 easy win
Nebraska 34-7 win after we called off the dogs when it was 34-0 at the end of Q3
Rutgers 42-7
Maryland 52-10

Good points.

The Purdue game wasn't nearly as close as the final score.

The win over Auburn in the bowl game was also far more of a butt-kicking than the final score would indicate.

Illinois 40-17 easy win
Rutgers 42-7
Maryland 52-10
The 2019 definitely got off to a slow start and then kicked it into high gear when the Big Ten season got here.

The 2022 team hit the ground running in game one and hasn't looked back. This current team is scary deep. I mean how many teams respond to losing their #1 WR by going out and having their past passing game of the season? Usually doesn't work like that.

The 2022 team is made up of PJ's recruits (one exception is the wide receiver who has been granted a 7th year) and the 2019 had Kill/Claeys and PJ recruits. The 2022 version is the team PJ planned for and expected in 2021, Covid screwed that up. His five year plan has became a six year plan. I respect the man for having a plan and then delivering on it. Bumps happen but the vision never changed. Go Gophers

6. The 2019 team flirted with disaster every week. We could have easily, easily been 1-2 in non-con.
Sure, in nonconference it looked like Gophs would struggle in conference play. That team also beat Ill 40-17, Neb 34-7 (garbage TD late to avoid shutout), Rutgers 42-7 (late 4th Qtr score as well), MD 52-10.

Can't help but to tee this up...too easy...

We don't have Tyler dropping the first and/or second passes straight to him in every game.

I love Tyler but that's the truth for then...and not the truth now so far...

Can't help but to tee this up...too easy...

We don't have Tyler dropping the first and/or second passes straight to him in every game.

I love Tyler but that's the truth for then...and not the truth now so far...
Really?

Experience and more speed on D.

Drops cost us at Iowa that season.
Yep, that was the only reason in the entire game that cost the Gophs. For instance, the short punt and accompanying 15 yard penalty had no bearing on the outcome. :unsure:

I think 2022 is probably better or at least equal at every position outside of WR and maybe linebacker.

I think 2022 is probably better or at least equal at every position outside of WR and maybe linebacker.
I mean our safeties are good but that Winfield guy was pretty special. :)

That said, I think the 2022 team would beat the 2019 team in a very close game.

Was there more than one? Ya’ll are trying to pin the loss on the guy who caught nine balls for 170 and a td?
TJ had the drop right near the goal line....that said you can never pin a loss on one play.

I mean our safeties are good but that Winfield guy was pretty special. :)

That said, I think the 2022 team would beat the 2019 team in a very close game.
Experienced Howden paired with Nubin is just as good as star Winfield paired with inexperienced Howden. Plus more depth this year.

Experienced Howden paired with Nubin is just as good as star Winfield paired with inexperienced Howden. Plus more depth this year.
Not sure I am quite ready to roll with you on that one. There might not be a massive dropoff but Winfield was just on a different level and you can see it with how well he has done in the NFL

If offered 2019 Howden/Winfield or 2022 Howden/Nubin - I'm taking the 2019 duo. And again, that is not to say the 2022 group is bad by any stretch of the imagination.

Some things I want to just post on here as a consideration

1. Some teams in 2022 are way better than 2019 (Purdue, Illinois)
2. Iowa and Wisconsin are both definitely down, but I don’t think so down that they will be a walk in the park.
3. Ohio St is more beatable this year than in 2019
4. Gophers defense is better as a whole in 2022
5. Our OL this year might be better than 2019

Feel free to post some thoughts on differences or similarities you see…

How is Ohio State more beatable?

Tanner having social security benefits now seems to have calmed him down. Financial security will do that.

Not to mention that during 2019....he was going through his midlife crisis. But now he's made peace with his past.

Top Bottom