Did PJ say, "This is on me" yet? Did he do anything about the fact that it was on him yet?

You know, in one sense, I appreciate Fleck taking the blame. In an orchestra, the conductor takes the blame if the orchestra sucks.
On the other hand, I recall my high school basketball coach stopping practice as the point guard kept apologizing for making mistakes. He stopped the practice and told the kid, "Everyone here knows you made these mistakes. Stop apologizing and start fixing your mistakes."
I am at that juncture with Fleck. We all see your coaching mistakes. Stop apologizing and go fix your mistakes.

Saying "it's all on me" is fine.

But, if no changes are made, then it's an empty statement.

If the problem is not with the players, but the coaching - then change the coaching. fix the coaching. Do something with the bleepin' coaching.

Saying "it's all on me" is BS if nothing changes.

Ask him, "How do you fix an Offensive Coordinator?" How do you fix the rank-smelling odor permeating from the Offense?

You know, in one sense, I appreciate Fleck taking the blame. In an orchestra, the conductor takes the blame if the orchestra sucks.
On the other hand, I recall my high school basketball coach stopping practice as the point guard kept apologizing for making mistakes. He stopped the practice and told the kid, "Everyone here knows you made these mistakes. Stop apologizing and start fixing your mistakes."
I am at that juncture with Fleck. We all see your coaching mistakes. Stop apologizing and go fix your mistakes.
It's a press conference. He's gotta say something. I doubt he's apologizing in practice.

How can anyone bash on Fleck for his comments here?

Should he blame others? Should he blame his coordinators? Should he blame his players? This is the second time this year that he's taken responsibility for a bad game. I'm not sure how much he had to do with the poor play calling....but there's little question that Fleck is ready to take the criticism regardless.

Fleck is a class act. But he needs to eat hard conversations for breakfast"

Saying "it's all on me" is fine.

But, if no changes are made, then it's an empty statement.

If the problem is not with the players, but the coaching - then change the coaching. fix the coaching. Do something with the bleepin' coaching.

Saying "it's all on me" is BS if nothing changes.
I think Fleck said the defensive performance was on him the day before he fired Robb Smith. Like you, I am 100% behind Fleck taking the blame as it is his responsibility. But I want to see him make changes to fix it.

PJ says win or lose it is his responsibility for the things that go wrong. He also points out the shortcomings of the team not performing, not finishing plays, missed tackles, players not in their gaps, or wide receiver drops saying it his responsibility to fix each of those. A lot of generalizations that happen in every game win or lose. He ticks them off when we lose.

He doesn’t believe in momentum but we lost because the kicker missed a field goal and we didn’t score any points in the first half.

He never shares adjustments he should of made but didn’t. For instance: Illinois focused on preventing us from running the ball…forcing us to pass. He didn’t say that.
He didn’t tell us why we couldn’t pass effectively when they were giving us that.
He was incredulous at the thought someone else might do better at QB. “We have won four in a row with him.”

I’m just not sure after Bowling Green that on his own he knows why we lost other than his list: missed tackles, didn’t finish, dropped passes, missed kicks, out of our gaps defensively, etc etc versus when they do this we gotta do this. He doesn’t seem elite at game adjustments or recognizing
the opponent is taking something away by selling out to force us to make adjustments.
We don’t answer during the game and he doesn’t articulate that responsibility as a reason we lost. So his words sound hollow. “My fault” followed by what the players did wrong as the reason. Not what he did wrong.

Look I'm onboard with a change at OC and I admit I get excited at the thought of breaking in a new unknown QB.

But many coaches after a loss tend to be vague and/or indirect. Directly addressing staff/player failures is for behind closed doors, even if they are planning on making a change concerning said staff or player. So yeah, during post games, PJ tends to ramble, and in particular after a loss, deflect personal staff or player miscues, default to common coach speak, and says we need to do better. (It's annoying, tbh, even if I get it) I mean he does tend to right the ship, even if he doesn't give us more info.

I'm curious what gets decided and I think we'll see a good effort come Iowa.

Not much a coach can say. Either take the blame or throw someone under the bus.
PJ takes the blame.

Just because we get tired of hearing it doesn't mean it's not the best option.

Top Bottom