Did PJ Fleck cost the Gophers the Iowa game? Absolutely not, says Cory Hepola

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Cory:

Gopher fans who are focusing on the penalty called on PJ Fleck for running onto the field in Minnesota’s 23-19 loss at Iowa need to keep perspective, says News Talk 830 WCCO host Cory Hepola.

Fleck ran onto the field after wide receiver Tyler Johnson stayed down following a play. In his postgame comments, Fleck defended his actions saying he wanted to check on his player. "The play was over. I don't understand that call in that situation. But that's how they felt and I have to accept that," he said.

Hepola noted that Fleck has often taken that approach.

“If you watch every time a guy's down on the field, PJ Fleck is the first one out there. In fact, even earlier in that game, one of the Gophers players got hurt, and you know who was there before the trainers? PJ Fleck. It is why his players love him — because he cares about his players and everyone's saying it cost him the game.” Hepola said.

Go Gophers!!

I hold responsibility for the loss against the coaching staff for first half play, especially on the defensIve side of the ball.

Watching the Iowa-Wisc game one could easily see...bring pressure on defense and Iowa QB Stanley folds like a cheap tent. He doesn't seem to be able to make quick decisions. Why Rossi waited until the second half to bring heat I couldn't understand. Then the hole to dig out of was significant. I put this loss on the defensive play calling.

Lots of blame to go around - defensively we looked very sluggish in the first half, WR Johnson's drop of a ball right in his bread basket could have been a TD, the kicking game lost us the 4 points we needed. It was like everything that could go wrong did go wrong. You have got to put it all behind you, learn from it and move on...

Yep, blame all around and lots of coaching mistakes to add to the bad tackling and player execution within some of the game. I have a feeling a lot of people still think Fleck running out on the field cost the Gophers a TD Saturday night. If they were like me, they were watching the game with others and with lots of people talking it was easy to miss the fact it was a dead ball penalty and possession had already switched. In my crowded living room that night, I figured the Gophers lost out on a first and goal. I turned the TV off and went to a movie afterwards and avoided media. It wasn't until Sunday that I checked things out and realized Fleck didn't cost a first and goal. Interestingly, since then - I have had to correct multiple people that also had the incorrect take on that penalty.

Plenty of blame to go around, but that penalty is very low on the list considering the change of possession would've happened regardless. Only uniformed fans would still be hung up on it...and we know there are none of those on GH!

It was a bummer of a loss, but on to NW. I'm confident the team will be ready and will put on a performance like we've seen in earlier B1G games against inferior opponents.

Plenty of blame to go around, but that penalty is very low on the list considering the change of possession would've happened regardless. Only uniformed fans would still be hung up on it...and we know there are none of those on GH!

It was a bummer of a loss, but on to NW. I'm confident the team will be ready and will put on a performance like we've seen in earlier B1G games against inferior opponents.

It has been amazing how many hung onto the idea that if Fleck doesn't run out on the field we don't lose possession. Seems like most have finally accepted that was not the case so yeah, that penalty did not cost us the game.

Played about as bad as we could in the first half and still found a way to get back in the game and have a shot to win. Game is disappointing to be sure but in many ways a loss might not have been the worst thing in the world for the team. Lessens the pressure a little, as it kills much of the CFP talk but still leaves the team in position to win the West and earn a really nice bowl game.

Never fun to lose to a team like Iowa, especially when a clear path to victory existed if we had executed better (missed tackles, dropped passes, kicking game). Team should be grounded and ready for a big bounce back against Northwestern leading into that final showdown with Wisconsin for the Axe, the West, and possibly a trip to the Rose Bowl.

No one thing costs a game other than maybe the final play of the game IMO. Yesterday Mark Rosen was arguing with Common Man that the Gophers came out flat. Common argued that it wasn't possible to be flat in a big game and didn't believe in being flat. I agree with Common that the Gophers didn't play flat, but the coaches game plan of not being aggressive to start the game is what cost them the game. Fleck running on the field has nothing to do with losing the game.

No one thing costs a game other than maybe the final play of the game IMO. Yesterday Mark Rosen was arguing with Common Man that the Gophers came out flat. Common argued that it wasn't possible to be flat in a big game and didn't believe in being flat. I agree with Common that the Gophers didn't play flat, but the coaches game plan of not being aggressive to start the game is what cost them the game. Fleck running on the field has nothing to do with losing the game.

Agree that the coaches were a little conservative on defense and should have brought more pressure early but a huge factor in that first half was missed tackles. Guys were in position to make plays they just didn't get it done. At the same time, the offense didn't capitalize on their limited opportunities as well.

Theme of the season for Iowa up to that game was that they would move the ball but always seemed to end up having to settle for field goals. That most likely would have been the case in the first half against us as well if guys had made the plays that were there to be made. Unfortunately we didn't and they finished those early drives with TDs instead of field goals which proved to be the difference in the game. In the first half it was like the roles were reversed, they were scoring TDs and we were being forced to settle for FG opportunities.

Theme of the season for Iowa up to that game was that they would move the ball but always seemed to end up having to settle for field goals. That most likely would have been the case in the first half against us as well if guys had made the plays that were there to be made. Unfortunately we didn't and they finished those early drives with TDs instead of field goals which proved to be the difference in the game. In the first half it was like the roles were reversed, they were scoring TDs and we were being forced to settle for FG opportunities.

Yes, this is pretty much spot on. It's obvious the coaching staff believed they could give up lots of soft yards to Iowa, but as long as they prevented big plays, Iowa would eventually sputter in the redzone like they've been doing all year. A few missed tackles, a couple nice Nate Stanley throws (unharrassed), and perhaps a couple Iowa wrinkles not seen on film, and boom, you're down 20-3.

I follow their logic in gameplanning, but I wish the outcome would've been different...

Watching the Iowa-Wisc game one could easily see...bring pressure on defense and Iowa QB Stanley folds like a cheap tent. He doesn't seem to be able to make quick decisions. Why Rossi waited until the second half to bring heat I couldn't understand. Then the hole to dig out of was significant. I put this loss on the defensive play calling.

It’s really a head scratcher and a reminder of the bad old days of 2017 and 2018. Iowa fans seemed to agree he’s not great against pressure and was really struggling this year (for him) without his great mismatch tight ends. PJF (I may be reading too much into the comments) on his Sunday interview seemed to indicate he was upset Rossi “felt things out” all first half. It’s unfortunate but reality our front 4 were ineffective against a decent offensive line. Definitely the first really huge black mark on Rossi. To their credit the second half was a different story.

Add to all that bewildered players, poor tackling and effort at times, and it was a disastrous first half. Team loss though, as the offense faltered at key times all game, especially in the red zone and couldn’t convert points despite being able to move the ball. Special teams...

Yes Fleck ran unto the field, I guess some seconds sooner than the ref wanted, but It Did Not Cost The Game. The ball belonged to Iowa either way, Fleck's supposedly premature dash did not change possession. It was Iowa's possession regardless.

I know that people will disagree but I have mixed feelings about Johnson's drop. IMO catches on those slant passes are not easy ones. The ball is hot coming in and we should probably expect one or two of those each game. Unfortunately that drop occurred as a bad time for us. I'm pleased with how man of those slant passes our receivers have caught this year. Go Gophers!

I think attempting the 50 yd FG in the 1st Q and the Onside Kick decision were bigger factors than the 15 yd flag.

It was a total team effort in the loss. But the biggest factor was probably the soft defense in the first half. This set the tone early and contributed to Iowa's fast start. Exactly the start that Minnesota needed to avoid. Iowa had 3 offensive possessions and scored 3 offensive touchdowns. Coming into this game, Iowa's offense was probably their biggest weakness. You just can't expect to come back from being down 20-3 on the road in a hostile environment.

Then you add the uncharacteristic penalties, dropped passes by both Bateman and Johnson and the missed kicks and it's a total team effort in the loss.

That penalty did not cost the Gopher the game. But it also isn't something that should be defended as okay because PJ cares about his players. There is a reason that rules exist that coaches can't just be running on to the field at all times. It is simply the rule and going forward PJ has to show some restraint. If he was rushing out to provide life saving aid that would be one thing, but concern can be shown without running into the fray a couple seconds after a play ends.

That penalty did not cost the Gopher the game. But it also isn't something that should be defended as okay because PJ cares about his players. There is a reason that rules exist that coaches can't just be running on to the field at all times. It is simply the rule and going forward PJ has to show some restraint. If he was rushing out to provide life saving aid that would be one thing, but concern can be shown without running into the fray a couple seconds after a play ends.

Had he run onto the field before the whistle blew I would totally understand that take. But if there is no rule stating how long coaches have to wait after the Whistle to go check on an injured player then I really don't understand how you can flag him for it. It is what it is at this point but I can understand Fleck's confusion about being penalized in that situation.

I think attempting the 50 yd FG in the 1st Q and the Onside Kick decision were bigger factors than the 15 yd flag.
Agree. The 15 yd flag didn't help, and you never know how it might have played out differently with Iowa pushed back to the endzone, but it was their ball either way, and the plays you mentioned (and puzzling wastes of timeouts, etc.) were way more of a factor.

I honestly felt they got completely outcoached that game.

Running on the field didn’t cost us possession. According to PJ, it ‘only’ cost us 10-yards (post game presser). Holding penalties aren’t a big deal either.

Running on the field didn’t cost us possession. According to PJ, it ‘only’ cost us 10-yards (post game presser). Holding penalties aren’t a big deal either.

I thought it was 10 yards at the time too. I could be wrong.

Top Bottom