Did Penn State Commit A Faux Pas?

GopherBulldog

Reaction score
Honest question... It’s inarguable that Penn State is a blue blood within the B1G. In hiring Kirk Ciarrocca, do you think they get a behind-the-scenes hand slap from the B1G conference leadership? If programs like tOSU, Michigan, Penn State, etc., don’t poach the best coaches and players from outside traditional conference infrastructure, it weakens the conference as a whole. And leads to a possible incestuous approach to creating success that has a net negative impact on the B1G.

They should have waited until after the bowl game. However we certainty got a great peek as to what Simon can do in a bowl game.

Coaches seize on once in a lifetime opportunities when offered. Ciarrocca's wife and kids live in Pennsylvania and wanted to be near them. Being a Pennsylvanian, a PSU offer is too hard to turn down.

PJ Fleck is good to his assistant coaches and has said often he will do whatever to help them in their career ladder. He has experienced what young up and coming coaches are going thru. I am not surprised why any Gopher coaching gig is a hot commodity. I am sure Clay Patterson was flabbergasted when PJ FLeck reached out to him when not very many D1 programs offered him the chance. Fleck's is building a reputation with not only recruits, but also coaches.

Expect the Fleck coaching tree to grow. He is revolutionizing the coaching fraternity in more ways than imagine.

I'm guessing Ciarrocca's move was known weeks ago, if not months ago (e.g., he was the one coach that didn't go out recruiting during our bye week). For bowl prep, he stayed around to help with the planning for the bowl game, but left prior to the actual game to (a) get to be part of PSU's bowl game and (b) to let Simon have a chance to earn the spot by being OC in the Outback game.

I'm guessing Ciarrocca's move was known weeks ago, if not months ago (e.g., he was the one coach that didn't go out recruiting during our bye week). For bowl prep, he stayed around to help with the planning for the bowl game, but left prior to the actual game to (a) get to be part of PSU's bowl game and (b) to let Simon have a chance to earn the spot by being OC in the Outback game.

I get that, and I hope you are right for the sake of goodness; but PJ seemed like he was miffed about the assistants leaving when he was talking to the reporter after the game. Something doesn't seem to be sitting right with him about it. I wonder if he still feels like Franklin is one of his best coaching friends or if that has changed now, as well.

Nothing wrong with this. Coaching is an odd career, you need to make the most of the few opportunities presented to you. We all know, one bad season and an offended big money booster will end your career over night.

look at Willie Taggart. FSU gave that guy 18 months. I get that both the on the field performance and locker room looked really bad, but 1 recruiting class and not even two seasons?

Top Bottom