Did calling out the team backfire?

Letsgogophers

Reaction score
I get a sense that calling out the team a couple of weeks ago has backfired. Calling out players in a press conference doesn't seem like the best way to get players to play for you. Locker room yet, press conference no. Other thoughts?

Sometimes instead of calling a spade a spade, ya got to call it a god-damned shovel. These are big boys, and Tubby said nothing the guys didn't already know.

I think evidence says it had zero impact considering before that, they were blowing leads, and then after that, they were still blowing leads.

I don't think calling them or not calling them out would've mattered. They still would've lost the same # of games. We don't have a point guard that can push the tempo and drive to the hole and get to the line. That's our problem.

I would say

if they are that wimpy that they cant handle some criticism from the coach they dont have any backbone and wouldnt go far anyway.

I don't think calling them or not calling them out would've mattered. They still would've lost the same # of games. We don't have a point guard that can push the tempo and drive to the hole and get to the line. That's our problem.

Bigger problem may have been lack of strong defender at G position. Seems like opponent's G could get open shots pretty often.

+1

I'm still baffled with how people think calling players out was a "new" thing. Have you never listened to his news conferences or post-game radio interviews?

Tubby has called out players publicly since day one. Abu Shamala, Tollackson, Westbrook, Rodney, Iverson and most recently Blake and Trevor all have been publicly "called out" over Tubby's time. Tollackson, Jamal and Westbrook were particular whipping boys.

Why do people think this was some new strategy?

+1000 - and play defense! Why is the most obvious reason sometimes the hardest for people to see?

We've been in just about every game in this bad stretch, and in most cases we had the lead most of the way. In my opinion, if Tubby "calling out" his players had an affect on the players in a negative way, then they would being getting blown out. Fact is, we've had at least enough confidence to play fairly well for 30-35 minutes.

In my opinion, the big mistake was not starting Mav at PG right away. While the last two games show it wasn't some magic elixer, I'd like to think he'd have gotten better as it went along and maybe they would have won a couple of these games by the end. Not to mention Hoff wouldn't have become close and personal with so many of his fellow B1G guards.

Not having a point guard is the only thing that sunk this team. After Nolan got hurt they had no chance.

In my opinion, the big mistake was not starting Mav at PG right away. While the last two games show it wasn't some magic elixer, I'd like to think he'd have gotten better as it went along and maybe they would have won a couple of these games by the end. Not to mention Hoff wouldn't have become close and personal with so many of his fellow B1G guards.

Easy thing to say in retrospect, if Devoe had left and Al got injured in November, the results would have been different. They would have adjusted and been ready for the big ten. They just didn't have time.

Easy thing to say in retrospect, if Devoe had left and Al got injured in November, the results would have been different. They would have adjusted and been ready for the big ten. They just didn't have time.

I for one was never a fan of Hoff at PG. That said, I'm not claiming it would have meant more then 1 or 2 wins, max. But at least this week would be a bit more interesting.

I think an even more important problem

than a penetrating point guard was the fact that they only have one guy that can make an outside shot.

What would people be saying about Tubby if he hadn't tried to push all the buttons? Maybe he knew best, and he had nothing to lose and potentially a season to save. Just speculating.

Top Bottom