Did Brewter really say they're "very close to being 4-0"???

LOL! Art Vandelay is Badger red as red can be. He used to post on Badgernation a few years back but now devotes himself here full time....but he's such a big gopher fan he claims he doesn't even know where those dreaded Sconny sites are.

Art's little sob story about apathy from birth doesn't even meet the smell test.

What's his excuse for taking pot shots at the Twins? At Gopher basketball? Anything Minnesota-related, and it's Art's mission in life to make fun of it.

If the Gophers ever win consistently, he'll do exactly the same thing he does with the Twins over on the Off-Topic Board. He waits in the weeds all season long, not saying a word, then as soon as they lose to the Yankees in the playoffs, he jumps out and calls them choke artists. It's really very predictable.

If the Gophers ever go 7-1, he'll call them a nice little team that can't beat Ohio State and run with the big boys. If they make the Rose Bowl and lose, he'll say it's waste if you can't win the whole thing.

LOL! I love how you registered an account on Gopherhole just to say this. I can assure you however that I am not a Badger fan. As for posting on Badger Nation, again I honestly have never visited that sight. It's quite possible that another Seinfeld nut has the same moniker. Ever thought of that Einstein? I could go all over the internet and post under the name Born a Gopher if I wanted......

I didn't mean to get inside your head like this. Sorry.

Did Brewster really say they're "very close to being 4-0?"

Sometimes I think that coaches watch too much film. They see these small mistakes that eventually cause defeat and they say, "damn, if we had just made that tackle the guy would not have run for the 60 yard TD. We just barely missed the tackling him. If we tackle him, they punt and we maintain our lead..." I write this stuff because I took a football coaching class at South Carolina during a spring that was taught by the coaches. The previous fall Michigan had come down and kicked South Carolina's butts. The D-Coord (Tom Gadd - who eventually coached with Gutey for a year) starts talking about how much closer the Michigan game was than the score indicated. I'm thinking "WTF - you got blown out." But I'm sure that he had seen all this film that indicated that South Carolina was only a few inches or a few plays or a penalty away from victory. Well its those few plays that make a loss a loss, no matter how close things look the next week watching the film.

Sadly, I must agree with Art here.

Being positive and living in reality are two different things. I've always thought Brewster was just the former, but he seems to be descending into madness with his job security gone.

The "could just as easily be 4-0" bit (even if it were true, which it isn't, not remotely) serves no purpose other than to provide ammunition for the haters. It's fluff. It means nothing. What he's attempting to do is state that this team is 1 or 2 plays away from being respectable. Anyone who has actually watched the games this year knows that is not even close to true.

Hey dpodoll68 - remember when you claimed that I was being "horribly false and libelous" when I jokingly compared him to Matt Damon's character in The Informant! ? If not, this ought to refresh your memory. Guess the joke's on you buddy..

Didn't he lie to basically everyone this past off-season and guarantee there wouldn't be any turover amongst his coaching staff and the next day Fisch quits to go to Seattle?

Art, before a Gophers game is about to start do you think something like,"Ok boys lets get this W today, lets kick their a$$, etc" or are you like," Man I cant wait to see how they F this up, these guys suck". In other words do you really even like the Gophers?

Sometimes I think that coaches watch too much film. They see these small mistakes that eventually cause defeat and they say, "damn, if we had just made that tackle the guy would not have run for the 60 yard TD. We just barely missed the tackling him. If we tackle him, they punt and we maintain our lead..." I write this stuff because I took a football coaching class at South Carolina during a spring that was taught by the coaches. The previous fall Michigan had come down and kicked South Carolina's butts. The D-Coord (Tom Gadd - who eventually coached with Gutey for a year) starts talking about how much closer the Michigan game was than the score indicated. I'm thinking "WTF - you got blown out." But I'm sure that he had seen all this film that indicated that South Carolina was only a few inches or a few plays or a penalty away from victory. Well its those few plays that make a loss a loss, no matter how close things look the next week watching the film.

It goes both ways. Even the winning team can look at game film and say they should've scored more - or given up less....

Hey dpodoll68 - remember when you claimed that I was being "horribly false and libelous" when I jokingly compared him to Matt Damon's character in The Informant! ? If not, this ought to refresh your memory. Guess the joke's on you buddy..

What the hell are you talking about? The point still stands.

Brewster often stretches credulity. He does not lie.

If you can't see the difference, I truly feel sorry for you.

Brewster has gone off of the deep end.

However, I can't blame him for trying to be positive when he will almost for sure be fired at the end of the season. I'm sure he doesn't want to be fired, so he'll say anything he can to make the situation look better.

The bottom line is the Gophers are closer to going 0-4 than going 4-0.If Dasher plays, we're 0-4. We probably should have beaten SD, but there's no way you could say the gophers should have beaten USC or NI, they got beat convincingly in those games.

If you want to use Brewster's logic, best case is the Gophers are 2-2.

Sadly, I must agree with Art here.

Being positive and living in reality are two different things...The "could just as easily be 4-0" bit (even if it were true, which it isn't, not remotely) serves no purpose other than to provide ammunition for the haters. It's fluff. It means nothing. What he's attempting to do is state that this team is 1 or 2 plays away from being respectable. Anyone who has actually watched the games this year knows that is not even close to true.

I'm also in agreement with Art and dpodoll68. I was aghast two weeks ago when Brew said after the SD loss that the program was headed in the right direction. There's your early leader for Preposterous Statement of the Year. And this again serves notice that Brew has lost it. There's no way you could have watched all four games and seriously think they could be 4-0. I guarantee you that the solid U of M media relations team isn't telling Brew to say that stuff...he's going out on his own limb.

Silvio don't even do this. Anyone else can pick out a few plays the other teams didn't make and the outcomes would have been worse than they were.

This argument works both ways.

I believe I stated this right away. My point is that most of us probably wished Brewster wouldn't make a statement like that, it doesn't make the statement incorrect.

The 4-0 comment is preposterous. And the reason it is telling and worth noting is it basically shows that Brewster just talks to fill dead air. Have you ever run into someone like that? You ask them something and you can tell by their response that they are not giving you a reasoned thought out answer. They are just yapping because they are uncomfortable with silence and because actually giving a reasoned response might be counterproductive to their own goal. It's quite bizarre if you've ever seen it. Poor sales people do it all the time. Classic example is if you ask the kid at Best Buy why you should buy the 2 year extended warranty on a $39 Playstation controller. They need to say SOMETHING so you end up getting some ridiculous literally non-sensical answer. The problem with that is you basically can't trust such people. Not because they are intentionally trying to deceive you, but because they are just spewing more or less random words with no meaning or weight behind them.

The problem isn't that Brewster is overly optimistic, it's that he just says whatever is in his own interest, regardless of whether it actually makes sense. Unfortunately you gotta conclude you can't trust someone like that.

What the hell are you talking about? The point still stands.

Brewster often stretches credulity. He does not lie.

If you can't see the difference, I truly feel sorry for you.

OOOOHHHHHHH SNAP!!! The "I truly feel sorry for you" bit. A very effective method of arguing a point... when you're 10 years old.

Ok, labeling him a liar was a bit over-the-top. Chronic over-exaggerator with little value for the truth would have been more suiting. Satisfied?

Ok, labeling him a liar was a bit over-the-top. Chronic over-exaggerator with little value for the truth would have been more suiting. Satisfied?

Good job at digging up a post when you were wrong then, and wrong now.

I generally recommend knowing what one is talking about before opening one's mouth.

Does Brew really believe what he's saying? Does he really think people are that naive?

"I think the thing that I'm most excited about where we're at right now is we're No. 2 in the country in time of possession, and that's really going to serve us well and we go into the Big Ten schedule, our ability to stay on the field offensively and do some things."

From where I'm sitting, the #2 in time of possession has to do with a porous defense and little to do with a true ball-control offense (MTSU only). Minnesota is #2 in time of possession because it's defense gives up big plays left and right.

Of course the offense is going to be on the field a ton. ... the opponents' offense barely has to break a sweat or use any time to rip off 20-, 30- and 40-yard gains before it scores.

I'm also in agreement with Art and dpodoll68. I was aghast two weeks ago when Brew said after the SD loss that the program was headed in the right direction. There's your early leader for Preposterous Statement of the Year. And this again serves notice that Brew has lost it. There's no way you could have watched all four games and seriously think they could be 4-0. I guarantee you that the solid U of M media relations team isn't telling Brew to say that stuff...he's going out on his own limb.

There's the hidden agenda that makes it all make sense. If he can get preposterous statements in multiple brackets of the tournament, he's all but guaranteed a championship.

And the subsequent apology for the statement turning out to not be preposterous?

(Based on the history of those tournaments, not this particular statement.)

Top Bottom