Did anyone else hear...

I think some are looking at the past with rose colored glasses.

Doesn't make rude right. Rude is rude as it always was. I was part of a "harmless" mob of students one night, led to the rape of a female student who was having some "harmless fun". No intent by me.

It is not PC, it is just a question of common decency. How about chants of "Jungle Monkey" next time Carter goes to the line? Just not real classy. Too personal, too intending to hurt.

Just my 2 cents.

Doesn't make rude right. Rude is rude as it always was. I was part of a "harmless" mob of students one night, led to the rape of a female student who was having some "harmless fun". No intent by me.

It is not PC, it is just a question of common decency. How about chants of "Jungle Monkey" next time Carter goes to the line? Just not real classy. Too personal, too intending to hurt.

Just my 2 cents.

And this is why our country is ass backwards and filled with stupid laws.

Relating racism/rape to a basketball chant, which at best, could be equated to being a bully-esk statement. Unreal.

I think we would forget is this is student on student crime. One school picking on another school. Students picking on student athletes.

Was it a classy chant? Nope. Was it smart? Nope. Was it the whole student section? Nope, but loud enough to heard on tv.

Should they kick the students out of school? What lesson would you be showing those students? Be nice? Cripes.

OR MAYBE they should be kicked out because next time these students might rape Colton's girlfriend because they were whipped up into a chanting rage, or maybe they might call the rest of African American players "Jungle Monkeys". In that case, we better act before it is too late.

I was not equating rape with chants. I was acknowledging that my generation did stupid things as well AND that students of any generation saying they were doing it for "harmless fun" is not really a great reason to do something. Though I could relate some "harmless" chants I heard during the 60's that would strike many as harmless. Want me to? But I did not hear any of them at BB games.

By the way, had that happened at a football game, a man like Joe Pa would stop the game and stop the chant. Bobby Knight would have done the same in a BB game. Not a bad lesson any day, for any generation.

Civilization is a very thin veneer we do well to protect.

Morality hasn't slipped in America, and there isn't really anything new to this kind of taunting. The only difference between now and earlier times? The packaging has changed more to reflect the content.

If we go wayyy back, we can see that we live in a VERY civil society. Remember people, in ancient societies renowned for being "civilized," infanticide was a common practice.

I was not equating rape with chants. I was acknowledging that my generation did stupid things as well AND that students of any generation saying they were doing it for "harmless fun" is not really a great reason to do something. Though I could relate some "harmless" chants I heard during the 60's that would strike many as harmless. Want me to? But I did not hear any of them at BB games.

By the way, had that happened at a football game, a man like Joe Pa would stop the game and stop the chant. Bobby Knight would have done the same in a BB game. Not a bad lesson any day, for any generation.

Civilization is a very thin veneer we do well to protect.

Hold on a sec...did you just call Bobby Knight a role model?

By the way, had that happened at a football game, a man like Joe Pa would stop the game and stop the chant. Bobby Knight would have done the same in a BB game.

Just when I thought you couldn't be any more off the wall. Nobody is stopping a game because of a chant of "Wash your face!"

My favorite part of all these crazy posts was this though:

The jump from "rude is rude" to talking about rape in the same breath. You're totally right man, rape is just downright rude, as it always was.

Just my 2 cents.

Nobody would ever chant "Jungle Monkey" now. Think about it...what school doesn't feature at least one African American in the starting lineup (at least at the college level)? I challenge you to name just one.

I don't think this chant was a big deal. People are mean to the opposition. Is that really breaking news? That's kind of like being up in arms over the French protesting. It's just what they do people.

I started outlining a lengthy post defending student section chants like this. Then I paused and realized how this whole thing started. I can't even believe this is an argument. Really, you guys are upset about Colton getting made fun of for having a few pimples???

Well, that's because you ARE a Jungle Monkey. With a pink ribbon in your hair.

Nobody seemed to care when our student section called Grant from Purdue a pussy. I thought it was funny and totally fine. He clearly wasn't seriously hurt. I'm not going to a basketball game to make friends with the other team or their fans. Wash your face is funny too. I'm pretty sure it didn't have anything to do with him missing his free throws. Unfortunately he's been doing a lot of that lately with or without a taunting chant. :)

How about at one of the women's games we start a chant of "Ugly Utters!" That would be funny and would not make any friends with the enemy either?! Or "Fat Ass Female!!", or maybe your mom would be proud of ".............................!!!!" All would be too funnnnny!!

How about at one of the women's games we start a chant of "Ugly Utters!" That would be funny and would not make any friends with the enemy either?! Or "Fat Ass Female!!", or maybe your mom would be proud of ".............................!!!!" All would be too funnnnny!!

Are there enough fans at a Woman's College Basketball game to start up a chant?

haha one thing i'm sure of is that goldy47s has never actually been to a game. Or if you have you never got off your hemroid donut to cheer for our team. Sorry if us students are excited about the gophers that we commit a few crimes of passion during the game.

athletes & name calling

I think any athlete worth his or her salt, in any sport, has endured verbal abuse ... and not just from fans of the opposing teams. It starts early. The verbal abuse comes from parents, coaches, and peers alike. And generally, I suspect, it gets worse the higher one rises in his or her sport.

I was born and raised in Minnesota but have spent most of my career living in and around Chicago. I don't know if any of you have ever been in the old Loyola University gym, old Northwestern gyms, the old DePaul University gym.. but if you sat in the first row or two you could reach out and touch the players as they did there warm-ups. In the Dutcher years, after the sexual assault charges in Madison, WI ...girls in the stands would wave keys at the players as they ran by and would wear t-shirts with various propositions on them ....the guys in the stands would wears wigs, put on make up, and do the same. When Monson's teams took the floor years later, people would do they same but offer various remarks on "academic fraud". Students would hold up signs with various "term papers for sale" or yellow Cliff Notes with wild and funny stuff written on them.

Fan criticism and sideline fun has always been part of college athletics. It deny it or criticize it ...is like missing the point. It's been part of the college fan culture for decades and decades. I still find it fun when groups of people from a cross section of American Universities, get together, tell stories of their athletic traditions on campus.

Besides, players are used to the criticism they receive. They understand it's part of the game. It's another one of the lutmus tests that athletes must pass and put up with as they work their way up the ladder from little league to the big leagues.

One man's opinion

Top Bottom