Dickinson: "The people hating on me would leave their job right now for a $10,000 increase...I got, at Michigan, less than six figures."

He’s not complaining about what he’s making he more saying people need to mind their own damn business and stop watching other people’s pockets. If he decides to leave it’s his decision. Doesn’t matter if it’s coach, school, or financial reasons
Dickinson is certainly within his rights to make the decision to transfer to Kansas so he can be paid more NIL dollars. But it is disingenuous of him to expect that Michigan fans won’t be upset. It became Michigan fans’ business when Dickinson signed to play D1 basketball. That’s why they are called fans, because they paid their hard earned cash to watch the Hunter Dickinsons of the world play a sport. I didn’t notice him telling the 12000 people at Chrisler Arena to not pay attention during games and mind their own business. Their support paid for his schooling at a pretty expensive public university. So he quits on those who supported him for the past two years and expects that they’ll just shrug their shoulders and say “oh, well”. That’s an immature response to the fallout from his adult decision.

Last edited:

I know there’s a Kansas fan posting in this thread, so no offense to you, personally, but part of the issue is that he landed at a shady program. No need to relitigate all of that. Villains gonna villain.

I know there’s a Kansas fan posting in this thread, so no offense to you, personally, but part of the issue is that he landed at a shady program. No need to relitigate all of that. Villains gonna villain.
Then there is that too. He is willing to overlook the Kansas violations in order to make more money from NIL. He also gave up on his Michigan teammates, which may cause some hard feelings. It would be ironic if Kansas was slapped with sanctions, but the so called blue bloods only get a wrist slap when they break the rules. See the North Carolina academic scandal as the latest example.

Dickinson is certainly within his rights to make the decision to transfer to Kansas so he can be paid more NIL dollars. But it is disingenuous of him to expect that Michigan fans won’t be upset. It became Michigan fans’ business when Dickinson signed to play D1 basketball. That’s why they are called fans, because they paid their hard earned cash to watch the Hunter Dickinsons of the world play a sport. I didn’t notice him telling the 12000 people at Chrisler Arena to not pay attention during games and mind their own business. Their support paid for his schooling at a pretty expensive public university. So he quits on those who supported him for the past two years and expects that they’ll just shrug their shoulders and say “oh, well”. That’s an immature response to the fallout from his adult decision.
Dickinson is clearly a head case.....from the story....

"I still do love Michigan," he said. "I still love the school and everything. I love the program. That's why it was so hard to leave because I really didn't want to leave, I didn't. But I just felt like, man, it was the best decision for me. It took a lot of courage. I don't think people realize how much courage it took for a guy who was there for three years, an All-American for the team. I did have a legacy there and I basically gave that up to try to be selfish and do what's best for me and my career, not what's best for anybody else's career."

It took a lot of courage? WTF is he even talking about? Transfer if you wanna transfer but don't expect fans of your former team to commend your "courage" for being willing to jump ship to another school.

And I don't buy for one second that this was a "best for my career" kind of decision. Again, totally fine if he wants to transfer, that is his right, but it is pretty obvious from the story that he was chasing the money as I don't think he is going to get drafted any higher coming off a year at Kansas than he would of had he stuck around for one more year at Michigan.

Yes ,he’s a professional athlete and like it or not your salary will be focused on by fans and by the way the fans of sports make you a marketable commodity . Cold hard truth of the business world. It ain’t about you getting a degree or becoming a better person anymore. So boo hoo if it hurts your feelings.

Dickinson is clearly a head case.....from the story....

"I still do love Michigan," he said. "I still love the school and everything. I love the program. That's why it was so hard to leave because I really didn't want to leave, I didn't. But I just felt like, man, it was the best decision for me. It took a lot of courage. I don't think people realize how much courage it took for a guy who was there for three years, an All-American for the team. I did have a legacy there and I basically gave that up to try to be selfish and do what's best for me and my career, not what's best for anybody else's career."

It took a lot of courage? WTF is he even talking about? Transfer if you wanna transfer but don't expect fans of your former team to commend your "courage" for being willing to jump ship to another school.

And I don't buy for one second that this was a "best for my career" kind of decision. Again, totally fine if he wants to transfer, that is his right, but it is pretty obvious from the story that he was chasing the money as I don't think he is going to get drafted any higher coming off a year at Kansas than he would of had he stuck around for one more year at Michigan.

Good lord...

The entire sports industry is about people getting irrationally upset about things that don't affect them. If they don't care enough to get upset about their teams best players leaving, unjustified or not, the also won't pay ridiculous amounts of money and rearrange their lives around going to and watching these events. IMO.

He’s not complaining about what he’s making he more saying people need to mind their own damn business and stop watching other people’s pockets.
Yeah, not a single person pays a single iota of attention to NFL and NBA contracts, nor are there any salary caps in those leagues to promote fairness and parity, which results in a much, much better product.

:rolleyes:

The entire sports industry is about people getting irrationally upset about things that don't affect them. If they don't care enough to get upset about their teams best players leaving, unjustified or not, the also won't pay ridiculous amounts of money and rearrange their lives around going to and watching these events. IMO.
This. +100

Yeah, not a single person pays a single iota of attention to NFL and NBA contracts, nor are there any salary caps in those leagues to promote fairness and parity, which results in a much, much better product.

:rolleyes:
If they want to follow MLB and its slow death into a second or third tier sport, just keep doing what they are doing. It went from long and boring to long, boring and no chance for small market teams. If the Twins left, I don't think I'd care at this point. 87 and 91 were a blast. Glad I at least got to experience it.

If they want to follow MLB and its slow death into a second or third tier sport, just keep doing what they are doing. It went from long and boring to long, boring and no chance for small market teams. If the Twins left, I don't think I'd care at this point. 87 and 91 were a blast. Glad I at least got to experience it.
This is a false narrative. Kansas City, Cleveland, & St. Louis have been to or won a World Series. MLB’s death is not because of their cap

This is a false narrative. Kansas City, Cleveland, & St. Louis have been to or won a World Series. MLB’s death is not because of their cap
Not to mention Tampa Bay. The MLB not having parity is a complete myth when you look at actual results.

There’s also no reason to believe MLB is dying in any way considering revenue is increasing at a pretty strong rate.

Not to mention Tampa Bay. The MLB not having parity is a complete myth when you look at actual results.

There’s also no reason to believe MLB is dying in any way considering revenue is increasing at a pretty strong rate.
These are exceptions. And yes MLB is slowly falling down the list regardless of whether their contract is getting larger.

These are exceptions. And yes MLB is slowly falling down the list regardless of whether their contract is getting larger.
Not really. The Braves weren’t huge spenders when they won the title. The Yankees haven’t won a World Series since 2009. The angels have been largely awful despite their deep pockets. MLB has had plenty of competitive balance.

Not really. The Braves weren’t huge spenders when they won the title. The Yankees haven’t won a World Series since 2009. The angels have been largely awful despite their deep pockets. MLB has had plenty of competitive balance.
So you think being able to spend twice as much as other teams is competitive balance? And they can do that because of the markets each are in. So no cap means not same playing field.

I don't know how good the comparison to MLB is.

But I know for a fact that the NFL and NBA would be much worse products without salary caps.

Top Bottom