Dickinson: "The people hating on me would leave their job right now for a $10,000 increase...I got, at Michigan, less than six figures."

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

"The people hating on me would leave their job right now for a $10,000 increase," Dickinson said. "I got, at Michigan, less than six figures. I got less than six figures at Michigan for the year."

Dickinson, the No. 1 transfer in ESPN's rankings, said he made a "selfish" decision. His arrival elevated Kansas -- a team that will return K.J. Adams Jr. and Dajuan Harris while adding key transfers -- to the No. 2 spot in ESPN's Way-Too-Early Top 25 rankings.

Go Gophers!!

Players certainly wouldn’t choose a school for money, that’s making excuses! The other coaches just suck at recruiting!

Dickinson wore a ski mask to a Wisconsin game last season a day after the Michigan State mass shooting, a move that angered Michigan officials. Dickinson reportedly said he wore the ski mask because he wanted to "steal a win" against the rival Badgers.
giphy.gif

He's right, nobody bats an eye when Joe six pack tries to find a higher paying job, but college athletes are supposed to be an exception apparently.

He's right, nobody bats an eye when Joe six pack tries to find a higher paying job, but college athletes are supposed to be an exception apparently.
Joe six pack probably isn't complaining that they aren't making 6 figures while having no rent or bills.

I get what you're saying and what he's trying to say but I don't think it's exactly the same, especially when a guy like Dickinson will be making millions in a year or two.

He certainly can do what he wants and I get the feeling it wasn't just about money here but I don't think he can't be criticized for his decisions either.

Joe six pack probably isn't complaining that they aren't making 6 figures while having no rent or bills.

I get what you're saying and what he's trying to say but I don't think it's exactly the same, especially when a guy like Dickinson will be making millions in a year or two.

He certainly can do what he wants and I get the feeling it wasn't just about money here but I don't think he can't be criticized for his decisions either.
He’s not complaining about what he’s making he more saying people need to mind their own damn business and stop watching other people’s pockets. If he decides to leave it’s his decision. Doesn’t matter if it’s coach, school, or financial reasons

Once again this shows that most schools are not throwing out giant, 7 6 figure packages, to all of their recruits as some want to think on here. If Michigan isn't doing it, then most of the B1G isn't doing it.
FIFY

Once again this shows that most schools are not throwing out giant, 6 figure packages, to all of their recruits as some want to think on here. If Michigan isn't doing it, then most of the B1G isn't doing it.

I thought the same thing when I read his quote. If Michigan, a school that values athletics a lot more than we do, isn't paying it's star player more than 100K a year via NIL.....that doesn't suggest a runaway train of money flowing down the tracks.

He’s not complaining about what he’s making he more saying people need to mind their own damn business and stop watching other people’s pockets. If he decides to leave it’s his decision. Doesn’t matter if it’s coach, school, or financial reasons
Maybe not. But seemed like he was complaining when he said he made less than six figures twice right in a row.

I thought the same thing when I read his quote. If Michigan, a school that values athletics a lot more than we do, isn't paying it's star player more than 100K a year via NIL.....that doesn't suggest a runaway train of money flowing down the tracks.

It's not, which is why it's a terrible excuse for being competitive here.

Are the blue bloods like Kansas and some SEC schools paying that? Yes, but they always were even before NIL.

Was there a ton of people criticizing Nigel Pack a year or so ago for moving on from KState?

At least he said the "selfish" part out loud. May all of his wildest dreams come true.

Here's Tom with the weather...

So in his world commenting on public figures is not allowed? Yeah that isn't how this works...

If he can't handle this wait until he signs an NBA contract and people really pay attention.

So in his world commenting on public figures is not allowed? Yeah that isn't how this works...

If he can't handle this wait until he signs an NBA contract and people really pay attention.
Who is to say he cant handle it just because he commented on it? He never said people arent allowed to comment, but people cant look at his comment as if he is complaining about how much he made he is just explaining the situation

Once again this shows that most schools are not throwing out giant, 6 figure packages, to all of their recruits as some want to think on here. If Michigan isn't doing it, then most of the B1G isn't doing it.
Then Mn actually not far behind, if at all.

The train is just getting rolling. It took a while after Curt Flood for free agency in baseball to really start to going.

There are no portal virgins

Was there a ton of people criticizing Nigel Pack a year or so ago for moving on from KState?
I have no idea if there a lot of people criticizing Dickinson.

I'm really trying to point out this is a little different than the average Joe trying to go from $15/hr to $20/hr.

I have no idea if there a lot of people criticizing Dickinson.

I'm really trying to point out this is a little different than the average Joe trying to go from $15/hr to $20/hr.
but I don't think he can't be criticized for his decisions either.

"less than 6 figures" could mean any amount up to $99,999.

FWIW - the median household income in the US in 2021 was $70,784. 18% of individuals and 34% of households make over $100,000.

so if Dickinson is going to Kansas for a 6-figure deal, he is making more $$ playing college basketball than the majority of people in the country.

and even if this shows that some top players are not making as much in NIL as rumored - it's still a heck of a lot more than players at MN are making at this point.

per ESPN:

"The people hating on me would leave their job right now for a $10,000 increase," Dickinson said. "I got, at Michigan, less than six figures. I got less than six figures at Michigan for the year."

Dickinson, the No. 1 transfer in ESPN's rankings, said he made a "selfish" decision. His arrival elevated Kansas -- a team that will return K.J. Adams Jr. and Dajuan Harris while adding key transfers -- to the No. 2 spot in ESPN's Way-Too-Early Top 25 rankings.

Go Gophers!!
I don't mind Dickinson taking the money and going to Kansas but tons of people turn down $10K for a job that is a better fit for them - I'm not saying it's a bad decision for him to take the money, I'm just saying he seems to be fairly naive when it comes to the real world.

All of that said, his point is right and it's why college coaches must continue to treat it like the free market. That includes pushing kids out, it includes having no concern for whether or not they graduate, and all of the other things that people in the real world deal with when they are in a high profile job.

Who makes money on college hoops? Universities as a whole, university leadership, people at university supported by athletic revenue, athletic department, athletic directors, coaches, assistant coaches, coaches in non revenue sports supported by basketball, athlete scholarships in non revenue sports, athletic conferences (Big10), leadership at athletic conference, Referees (wasn't Hightower making 1.2M per year part time to referee before he retired?), Construction industry building arenas and athletes villages, Parking garages, food vendors, scaplers, State Farm and KitKat making money via stupid commercials, television networks, radio, event organizers, venues, and probably a bunch more people.

Why not players? It makes no sense to vilify the players for wanting a cut of the action.

I think part of this is interesting in how you treat your old guys who are already there vs “fresh” recruiting. Did Dickinson get taken for granted as he was already there and established? Does he have low social media following? Was anyone else at Michigan making more?

Who makes money on college hoops? Universities as a whole, university leadership, people at university supported by athletic revenue, athletic department, athletic directors, coaches, assistant coaches, coaches in non revenue sports supported by basketball, athlete scholarships in non revenue sports, athletic conferences (Big10), leadership at athletic conference, Referees (wasn't Hightower making 1.2M per year part time to referee before he retired?), Construction industry building arenas and athletes villages, Parking garages, food vendors, scaplers, State Farm and KitKat making money via stupid commercials, television networks, radio, event organizers, venues, and probably a bunch more people.

Why not players? It makes no sense to vilify the players for wanting a cut of the action.
I honestly don't vilify him, but players should no longer be protected by or held back by the mirage of a being a "student athlete".

Unless you are Oregon

Top Bottom