Dick Vitale

At that time, the Big Ten had had a few bad NCAA tournaments in a row. Purdue lost early the year before in the tournament as a high seed. It was natural to think the Gophers as a Big Ten team wasn't going to be any different. I think three number one seeds made the Final 4 with the only one missing it was Kansas who was probably number 1 in the country at the time. They lost to Arizona on a Friday night in the Sweet 16 and we beat UCLA the following afternoon. This season kind of has the same kind of feel as it did that year, except this year the B1G is super stacked and at that time it was pretty down. That team was deeper with a much better bench and had Bobby Jackson, who was incredible that year. I like the starting 5 better on this team though. I think we lost to Illinois, Wisconsin and Alabama that year during the year, but had an incredible come from behind win at Indiana.

Well, to give DV the benefit of the doubt, NO ONE believed in the Big Ten back in 1997. I think 1995 and 1996 were two of the worst years for the Big Ten ever, in the NCAA tourney, and it took the Big Ten kicking a ton of tail in 1999 before people starting giving the Big Ten respect as a conf again.

I remember getting mad when DV said the 97 Gophs would be the first #1 seed to lose in the tourney. I think he predicted us to lose to Chaney's Temple team in round two.

Other than that, he's an enthusiastic guy who loves the big programs. Annoying yes, but not entirely unexpected.

And then we were going to lose to Clemson and for sure to UCLA.

Top Bottom