Dick Butkus passes away at the age of 80

I am saddened by this news. He attended the Bears-Packers opening game earlier this season, so I assume this was unexpected.

He was my all-time favorite football player. A bad dude on the football field. No player in NFL history represents toughness the way Dick Butkus did.

RIP #51.

In pop culture, I thought it was cool that Stallone had his own namesake dog "Butkus" also be Rocky Balboa's pet in the original film.

"Yo, Butkus!" Great line.

#51 was also part of the iconic Miller Lite campaign. Usually he was with the equally incredible and fearsome fellow Big 10 alum, Bubba Smith.

The last man on earth you wanted to see line up across from you in a football game.

Last edited:
Reactions: KGF

Gopher great Mike Hohensee chimes in:

Go Gophers!!

The middle linebacker against whom all others are measured. Too bad the Bears were never good enough to get him in the postseason.

Reactions: KGF

Better analogy. Mauer got to the playoffs four seasons but never won a game. Banks never reached the postseason.
I know it's not considered by MLB as a Postseason Playoff, but the Detroit/Game 163 sure felt like it for all practical purposes. Joe at least has that.

In pop culture, I thought it was cool that Stallone had his own namesake dog "Butkus" also be Rocky Balboa's pet in the original film.

"Yo, Butkus!" Great line.

#51 was also part of the iconic Miller Lite campaign. Usually he was with the equally incredible and fearsome fellow Big 10 alum, Bubba Smith.

For the life of me, I cannot fathom that those commercials were that long ago. They were my favorites growing up. So many big names in them.

Fellow Bear LB and Canton Honoree, Brian Urlacher, on The Dan Patrick Show yesterday, "The world is definitely a softer place without Dick Butkus in it."

Last edited:

Top Bottom