De'Vondre Campbell is NFL First Team All-Pro!

Wow, he’s just continued to develop every year. Was so raw when he was here.

He was a free agent the Cardinals chose not to re-sign in the off-season and signed a bare-bones contract with Green Bay. Something clicked because he has been phenomenal this season and definitely deserving of the honor.

Last edited:

Ok, Karl Mecklenburg was AP first team All-Pro in 1989. Has it really been 32 years between Gophers making that team? Tyrone Carter didn't. I honestly can't think of anyone in that period who would have.

He was a free agency the Cardinals chose not to re-sign in the off-season and signed a bare-bones contract with Green Bay. Something clicked because he has been phenomenal this season and definitely deserving of the honor.
I think for a lot of professional players--perhaps even a majority--success depends a lot on the system. The greats will likely flourish (though to varying degrees) for whomever they play. The bottom end of most rosters are likely hanging on and won't be factors anywhere. But for guys in the middle, getting to play in a system that suits their particular talents and sometimes next to really good players (Kenny Clark in Campbell's case) can really elevate their game. Without Campbell's contributions throughout the season, the Packers are playing tomorrow instead of having the week off.

I've never been more wrong about a Gopher's pro potential. He looked so lost at times for the Gophers.
I was going to say the same thing, but for fear of retaliation, I let someone else jump on the possible grenade first. I always saw him as an athletic freak for the U, but he wasn't a guy who laid the lumber like Wilson. He struck me a bit as a safety being forced to play linebacker. No question about his size/speed specs and that's what got him drafted. All that said, the pros find ways to take a guy with Campbell's physical gifts and make them successful. This season may be an outlier for his career, but it's not like he's been a bad player in his previous stops in Atlanta and Arizona. He had more than 90 tackles per season in the four seasons after his rookie year for those two franchises and he totaled 129 in his last season for the Falcons.

I've never been more wrong about a Gopher's pro potential. He looked so lost at times for the Gophers.
It is weird sometimes, guys you wouldn't think would do well in the NFL do sometimes. Look at Marcus Sherels, there was nothing during his time at the U that would have led anyone to think he would have a long NFL career as a punt returner/db.

Awesome for Campbell, hopefully he is able to parlay this into a nice multi-year contract. At 28 he still has a chance to have a handful of productive years for somebody.

He was a street free agent in June. You certainly don't see this type of ascent with any measure of regularity.
Packers are kind of making a thing of this. They also struck gold with Rasuul Douglass. He was a free agent (4 mediocre years with the Eagles and Panthers prior), spent some time in camp with Las Vegas and Houston before signing with the Packers in early October and shining ever since.

It is weird sometimes, guys you wouldn't think would do well in the NFL do sometimes. Look at Marcus Sherels, there was nothing during his time at the U that would have led anyone to think he would have a long NFL career as a punt returner/db.

Awesome for Campbell, hopefully he is able to parlay this into a nice multi-year contract. At 28 he still has a chance to have a handful of productive years for somebody.
Good example. Every year he was a question to make the team. And he had nine years in Minnesota.

I wonder what this mean$ for his next contract.
Packers have similar cap space issues as the Vikings due to Rodgers (and others) and want to bring back Davante Adams. They likely won't have enough flexibility to bring back Campbell and he picked the right time to have an All-Pro season. Best of luck to him.

Pointing out Sherels is a solid example of what I was referencing earlier. In the pros, there are so many different sets on offense and defense and it seems each team has a player to plug in on something like third-and-three-and-five-eighths with the wind blowing West to East that guys with a particular set of skills (ala Liam Neeson) can find a niche. The plus for Sherels is that he developed into a really good return man and defensive special teams player. Those guys tend to stick around.

Liam Neeson.jpg

Last edited:

Ok, Karl Mecklenburg was AP first team All-Pro in 1989. Has it really been 32 years between Gophers making that team? Tyrone Carter didn't. I honestly can't think of anyone in that period who would have.
Well, of course Leidner would have been in between but the silly Vikings cut him before he had a chance.
The Wilf's are still bitter about it, their patience ran out and they swept Zimmer and Speilman out the door. :)

There were those times but man he covered ground when he had things dialed in.

He was a free agent the Cardinals chose not to re-sign in the off-season and signed a bare-bones contract with Green Bay. Something clicked because he has been phenomenal this season and definitely deserving of the honor.
Cardinals didn't want to let him go but they spent some money in FA with JJ Watt and AJ Green, and they spent a first round pick on Zaven Collins who plays the same position as Campbell and the Cards were hell bent on Collins starting Week One. He played pretty well for the Cardinals, they hated to see him go

Cardinals didn't want to let him go but they spent some money in FA with JJ Watt and AJ Green, and they spent a first round pick on Zaven Collins who plays the same position as Campbell and the Cards were hell bent on Collins starting Week One. He played pretty well for the Cardinals, they hated to see him go
If this were remotely true, he wouldnt have been a street free agent in June. He was on the proverbial trash heap and busted his ass to become what he has been this year. You dont sign a washed up injury prone JJ Watt if you think Campbell is even half of the player he became in Green Bay.

Top Bottom