Devoe Joseph- very hard to watch

Handsome Pete

Wartime Hero Fool
Reaction score
I am rapidly starting to detest Devoe Joseph's game. He cannot run the point. He barely plays defense. He is a complete ball hog. He turns the ball over constantly on poor play selection. On the positive side, he does get hot every 5 games or so.

Am I way off base here? It is possible the stellar play of Nolen earlier is only highlighting what we are missing with him gone but Tubby has to be supremely PO'd with what he is seeing out there with #34 on the Court.

agreed. He played better last year when he was off the ball more. This is why he's a 2 and not a PG.

He is the new Larry Westbrook....except he cannot finish at the rim.

Hopefully he'll get back to where he was

late last year. However, all aspects of his game are sub-par right now. He even struggles at the FT line. FG% is too low as well. Needs to pick it up or Chip or someone else will eat his minutes.

Larry is short for Lawrence...I guess he was giving him a nickname after he graduated?

Devoe NEEDS to play the 2. I'd honestly rather see blake run the point.

The team overall isn't playing very well right now. Had a lot of wide open looks missed and they were very sloppy with the ball.

Devoe certainly is a big part of the problem. He's out of control on offense and will leave his man open at the drop of a hat on defense. I counted at least three times where he left his man wide open on defense resulting in easy jumpers. On top of that, he committed several outright stupid turnovers on offense from trying to be either flashy or forcing his own shot.

Need to get him out of the point guard slot as he's largely unreliable right now.

His lack of vision is killing me. He looks at the ground about 5 feet ahead of him and has no idea where he is on the court or how open his teammates are. Throw in the fact that he lacks awareness of what he is actually good at and thinks he is much better than he is, and it is a recipe for disaster.

*sigh* He's not a PG, it's not his fault that he's being forced to play there. He's a pure SG.

Its a little frustrating to watch when the answer is so clear. We know it, I hope Tubby knows it, the players just have to understand it better. Let the frontcourt do work. We were much more successful in the second half because we got the ball into the interior, and not by an aimless drive by Joseph. We seriously have one of the top ten all-around frontcourts in the country. Use it. This offense, especially with Nolen out has to go through the bigs. If the other team chooses to double then you kick it out for the open shot. No more of this aimless dribbling. I mean its not the princton offence for god sakes. I think they need to do a better job of establishing Ralph early. It seems like when he gets scoring opportunities early, that cofidence carries over the entire game.

To be fair to him he is not a PG, also 11 turnovers in 5 games isn't awful at all for a SG playing point. Once Nolan returns and he can play the 2 his play will be much better.

He had a poor game....

tonight that's for sure. He does have talent....needs to not turn it over number 1! He tries to force things that aren't there and it looks soooo bad.

I still believe he's a big key to this team. We need his outside shot to take the pressure off Blake....we need to work inside out. Hoff has seen that (7 assists) Make GOOD passes and the ball will come back to you.

Another few thoughts to keep in mind:

1) This is only his fifth game of the year vs. 14(?) for everyone else?
2) Do we know how much he was practicing with the first team during his suspension? There seems to be some chemistry/flow problems offensively right now and that could be in part just not being familiar with each other.

Devoe just isn't a PG. He will hustle up the floor looking like there could be an early offense opportunity, then all of a sudden he will come to a screeching halt outside of the arc, and the offense bogs down. If Nolen were out there we would see a drive into the paint and a missed-layup...or a pass to a big for a close-in chance.

All kidding aside, Devoe is just not comfortable with the drive and draw game. Therefore, we have to go to a lot of high-low sets with Joseph in there. Against a small team like Akron you can have sustained success with it. But in the bigger BT, as we've seen over the course of the last year, we will have trouble scoring consistantly without the threat of our PG driving inside.

A lot of it is bad basketball IQ. His numerous bombs with 30 seconds on the shot clock are awful. His missed lay-up with tons of time on the shot clock inside of three minutes should have never been attempted. At this stage of his career, he should know how to react in time/score situations like that.

He had a bad game tonight. I have to admit I thought he should be pulled. But, I think Tubby knows he is still getting his game on. Still rusty. I'm sure Tubby sees how much depth it would give us if he comes around. He has a ton of talent. I'd like to give him more time. He should play some PG and some 2. I still see him and Blake pouring in points in Vancouver. With Al out there aren't many options.

HAHA

He is the new Larry Westbrook....except he cannot finish at the rim.[/QUOTE
+1
hahahaha. had to comment, completely agree on the LARRY Westbrook comment, the friends that i go to the game with stated this already too.

And the 'larry' Westbrook is from a game last year or two years ago, where Lawrence's dad, named Larry was shown in the crowd, then the announcer continued to call Lawrence, Larry Westbrook the rest of the game instead So he will forever be known to me as larry. And i feel like being compared to Larry is worse then compared to Lawrence.

Pretty sure I remember you saying something close to that a few times but it may have been someone else. He certainly hasn't looked as good as he did at hte end of last year, but he's always going to be very streaky. Eventually he'll pick it up and everyone will start loving him. I've never been a huge fan of his, mainly because if he isn't shooting well he doesn't contribute much in other ways. It would help if we had the luxury of playing him at sg though.

Like I said, He has regressed big time. But honestly I do not remember saying that at all but it is not far fetched

He's not a PG, it's not his fault that he's being forced to play there.

Devoe has played a ton of minutes as a PG, those poor decision with the ball, mediocre defense and failure to find his teammates are inexcusable at this point in his career.

With Rodney's encouraging game Devoe is headed back to the bench when Nolen comes back.

Top Bottom