Devoe Joseph looked better

B

B10Champs97

I just wanted to mention Devoe Joseph in yesterday's game. He didn't have a great first half but then who did. He played very well in the second half - controlled the ball and didn't turn it over that I recall. He is a little tentative directing the offense when you compare his play to Nolan but I think this is to be expected as a freshman (i.e. Nolan last year). I am glad Tubby was able to give him some minutes as I think we are going to see him improve substantially as he gets more playing time. I love his quickness and body control on offense. I don't think we will see him committing a lot of offensive fouls. His ball handling skills are a nice compliment to Nolan's and I don't see opposing teams being able to effectively press us with Joseph and Nolan. Bottom line - he contributed nicely and is improving.

He might struggle in conference play this year. He needs to add some weight and was late getting into the program. A summer here will do him a lot of good. I don't think he was a point guard in Canada- more of a 2.

Add the late start, with a slim frame, and a new position and there's a guy with a huge curve. He should be a nice player in time.

Agree he needs work, but I see him becoming an asset increasingly, just wanted to give him his due for a nice performance.

I agree, B10Champs. I'm still waiting for Devoe to have a break-out game, but yesterday was a step in the right direction. It seemed like he got more comfortable as the game went on. He seems to be struggling with his shot a little bit, but he showed his speed and impact on defense, and I think that helped to build his confidence the longer he was in.

I think our expectations have all been raised, with the way Nolen and Hoff both performed last year - but I think Devoe is on track to being a solids contributor. I'm excited to see him get more comfortable and progress as the season goes on.

I think all of our freshmen will be vastly improved from where they were at the beginning of the season to when they go to Indianapolis to the BT Tourney. Watching all of them(as well as the other new guys and some of the vets) is a thrill.

Top Bottom